Crash Tests – Learning from Tesla’s Crash Lab

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Crash Tests – Learning from Tesla’s Crash Lab

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Crash Tests – Learning from Tesla’s Crash Lab

• Crash Tests – Learning from Tesla’s Crash Lab

• Wes Man

April 7, 2022 at 12:43 pm

I came across the “Tesla Crash Lab” video today : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KR2N_Q8ep8. I was curious if there was anything Aptera could learn from Tesla, in terms of their real world data collection of accidents. To better refine the types of crash tests Aptera hopes to validate before production.

I’m not even sure how accessible this raw data would be? But I wonder, if Tesla was asked, if they would work out some mutual sharing of this data, to make the world a safer place?

I believe Tesla is the necessary first phase for electrifying transportation. But as we progress in this sector, I’m hopeful that more companies would be interested in making transportation as efficient as possible. And hopefully Aptera will be a great example of what’s possible.

• Steven G. Bueche

April 7, 2022 at 3:09 pm

Although I’m sure Tesla has loads of data about crash testing I don’t think most would apply to the Aperta. Besides the obvious bodies made of steel and the frame structure made of aluminum, about the only thing they would benefit from might be the forces applied on a body in a given crash scenario. (as shown in the above video)

Given that Apteria’s body is made of resin, carbon fiber, hemp and Kevlar the action/reaction is quite different. As stated by both Steve and Chris, their body flexes and rebounds when hit. If it had the best roof crush strength in the past and has since been improved I’d imagine they’re up there with Tecla’s 20,000 pound strength as well. The front has a crumple zone but has yet to show to what degree.

Given the high level of their engineers and their commitment to efficiency as well as safety, I believe the crash results should be impressive.

• Markus Schmid

April 7, 2022 at 5:32 pm

Brand new statement about safety and crash tests in this interview from Aptera Owners Club with Chris Anthony after minute 23:50 here:

In a nutshell: contemporary approach to crash tests is doing Finite Element Model analysis that gets verified via crash tests, a refined and/or corrected FEM gets done and if necessary then again verified by more tests (which is actually how any serious FE analysis gets done since decades).

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Markus Schmid. Reason: adding missing half phrase
    • Jonah Jorgenson

April 8, 2022 at 10:38 am

It is good to see the third party approach to safety testing. Aptera will use a qualified third party experienced in this kind of testing to conduct the test and prepare the data for submission to t he government. Third party use provides an honest broker position for Aptera making the results more credible and demonstrating their confidence that the Aptera is more than capable of passing tests for the same criteria as cars.

From the financial perspective this also relieves Aptera from building expensive testing facilities and equipment, thus keeping the cost of the vehicle down.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Jonah Jorgenson. Reason: correct spelling
Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now