Custom Color Price

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Custom Color Price

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Custom Color Price

• Custom Color Price

• Philip Raymond

February 24, 2022 at 11:53 pm

I’m starting this thread, in the hopes of Aptera management reading this and perhaps changing the custom color price. Simply said, it’s much higher than it needs to be in my opinion and most like me, will not pay it, even though we would prefer another color. If the price were $500 extra, instead of $1500, I truly believe more buyers would opt for a different color, I know I would. More people paying $500 would likely make more money for Aptera by increased volume of those choosing this option. I look forward to more input on this from other reservation holders.

• Steven G. Bueche

February 25, 2022 at 3:55 am

Hi Philip, I can only offer these as possible reasons as to the pricing difference;

Cost of material – If Aptera orders large quantities of the said stock three colors it cost less. Having the wrap company order any one bolt of vinyl cost more as they have to purchase the entire bolt for one car and hope someone else will buy/want the rest. If not they’re stuck with the remainder. Therefor you pay the cost. All custom things cost more.

Production Line – If the company that does the wrapping has a dedicated line or area for a production run they may have to change things up to fit your car in and this slows things down and adds additional cost even though it may be only labor. Labor is in some cases the most expensive cost factor in business. In fact wraps are very labor intensive.

It may also help to investigate the cost of wrapping a car. I paid almost $1,500 just to wrap the front end of my Tesla 3 for paint protection (clear and thicker) Whole cars can range from $2,500 – $5,000 depending on the cars complexity. It seems pricy for some plastic but if you’ve ever watched a car being wrapped it’s pretty time consuming. My wife and I used our sentry mode to watch the guys wrap ours from the house. Just my front wrap took over three hours and the M3 is pretty smooth compared to some of the more faceted car bodies.

I personally am getting the Sol (white) but the more I look at the shiny silver Luna I’m thinking I might wait for the wrap to age and then Paint mine.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Steven G. Bueche. Reason: Edit for spelling errors
  • Riley ________________________________

February 25, 2022 at 4:03 am

since aptera is still undecided as to what will actually be the finnished exterior the cost is reasonable.

I personally think aptera needs to raise its prices across the board to account for the inevitable inflation that will happen. Sorry if this is counter to the goal of your post but I think we will be lucky to get an aptera at the current price promised.

I’ve recently seen an increase in interest for electric cars and gave out several referrals to people concerned about the future rise in gas prices and feel that aptera will be getting a large infusion of reservations.

• Joshua Rosen

February 25, 2022 at 6:24 am

They are offering three standard colors, that seems like enough, Tesla only has one free color (white) and everything else is $1-2K extra and it’s a very small set of extra choices. For those that want something special Aptera is offering a wide variety of custom wraps. This is an opportunity for them to make an extra profit, they should price it so that they maximize their profit. A custom wrap isn’t something anyone needs, it’s just a discretionary expenditure and by offering a very wide selection they might attract a lot of people who like that sort of thing. Steve puts the price for a wrap at a custom shop at $2.5-5K, that makes Aptera’s price a bargain, maybe too much of a bargain.

I’m going with a standard color, I don’t remember which one I specified but I suspect I’ll revisit the choice when it’s time to actually buy the car. All of the standard choices look fine to me, I don’t see any reason to pay extra for a custom color. Driver’s assist, premium sound and a bigger battery all have tangible benefits so I’m willing to pay for those but not for a custom wrap unless they offer a more durable wrap as an option. But those are my priorities.

• Ray Holan

February 25, 2022 at 6:33 am

Philip, it remains to be seen if Aptera is going to wrap the vehicle. I seem to recall a recent video where Chris stated that they were undecided about doing a vinyl wrap or something else. In any case, the real question you’re posing is “$1,500. Is this too high a price for a custom color?” As others have stated in this thread, local wrapping costs MAY be even higher. If that’s true then the $1,500 premium Aptera is currently listing is a fair deal. I know paint costs have spiked in the last year. I just paid $37 for an 8 oz. can of spray paint for my kitchen cabinets! This was a premium paint in a custom-match color. So who knows what the coloring alternative costs could be for Aptera?

• Eric Miller

February 25, 2022 at 7:03 am

The range of costs I see for wrapping vehicles is from about $3,000 to $7,000. So I was actually wondering why Aptera’s price was so low. I guess if they were going to wrap it anyway in one of the standard colors, their cost would be less than a full aftermarket wrap.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Eric Miller.
    • Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

February 25, 2022 at 8:39 am

If they go with wraps, the only cost difference would be for materials, and since they would likely limit it to what their supplier has (Unless you brought your own.), and from what I’ve seen (Feel free to jump in with informed pricing info from those who are more in the know.), there doesn’t seem to be a significant difference from one wrap to the other (I mean the standard color palate should be the same, the reflective and color change a bit more?), that would mean that the $1500 would be close to pure profit.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

February 25, 2022 at 8:49 am

After reading back to Steven’s response above, I did leave out the probability that they get a fair discount on the large amount purchases of the three basic colors, so that amounts to a part of the money. Also I agree with the idea that something out of the standard will require more time and is an interruption to a smooth assembly process, so the amount could just as well be something to dissuade people from doing so, unless they really want it.

• Joshua Rosen

February 25, 2022 at 10:32 am

I think they should offer three tiers. The basic Black, White and Silver included in the price, a limited set of popular premium colors, Red, Green, Blue for $1000-$2000 (Tesla pricing) and full custom for the market rate for wrapping ($2500-3500). A small standard set of premium colors won’t complicate their inventory management so the extra charge would be pure profit. Full custom means that they have to special order wraps so there is some additional handling costs but if they set the price right there is an opportunity for a significant extra profit. The premium price should be set at a level where they would get a significant percentage of buyers opting for it, i.e. high enough to make a profit but not so high that people who don’t have strong feelings about color might still go for it. Full custom competes with the aftermarket, they don’t have to price it any cheaper than it would cost someone to take it to a shop. Getting it done at the factory is a significant time saver so even at the same price as an independent shop or even a little higher it’s a bargain.

• John Malcom

February 25, 2022 at 4:11 pm

Aptera did well in the selection of standard colors. According to iSeeCars research, looking at over 9.4 million cars (A nice large sample😀), white,black, gray, and silver ( In the order of preference) account for 77.1% of all cars on the road today.

• Philip Raymond

February 25, 2022 at 7:44 pm

All good opinions to hear, thanks for the feedback. I’ll just stay with Noir.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now