Dash cam with sentry mode

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Dash cam with sentry mode

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Dash cam with sentry mode

• Dash cam with sentry mode

• Dustin DelRosso

July 9, 2022 at 7:29 pm

please have a dash cam. its a basic feature.

• This discussion was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Gabriel Kemeny. Reason: Fix title
  • kerbe2705

July 9, 2022 at 7:47 pm

@Dustin DelRosso It may be a basic feature to you but, at present, there are fewer than a dozen vehicle models sold in the US that come with a factory dashcam system – but there are DOZENS of companies selling aftermarket systems.

IMHO I think it would be a terrific optional accessory for Aptera to offer.

• Dan Kerpe

July 10, 2022 at 10:26 am

I put dash cams in all my vehicles. They’re worth their weight in gold. However, I wouldn’t expect Aptera to offer them. The laws regarding them vary state by state and it probably isn’t worth the headache.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

July 10, 2022 at 11:07 am

Dash cams are catching on. Dash cams are optional equipment on many of the new cars I have been looking at. Dash cams are not only great for truth in road incidents, but for security while parked. I have a dash cam in every car. Most dash cams are easy to move from one vehicle to another.

• James Gatan

July 10, 2022 at 1:20 pm

I’ve been using dash cams on all my cars for many years. My current ICE even has a rear facing one, independently connected from the recording fronts, via a 12v splitter connector sockets (wires neatly tucked underneath interior). Easily swappable (vs hard wiring) to other vehicles. I even bring it and use it on rentals on my yearly travels visiting family, flying in to MI. It has saved my neck countless of times in the past (accident witness for insurance purposes, theft deterrent, road rage driver deterrent). Quite indispensable to my daily driving. I always feel safer/have peace of mind while driving..knowing that you always have a “witness” with you, while driving.

I plan to install front ones on my Aptera (no rears, due to Full Solar). Crossing fingers, that a basic 12v socket connection would be available on the production units.

• Y Z

July 11, 2022 at 3:58 pm

I would hope to have them as well. With the amount of cameras already planned for the car, the backup cameras, side, and rear cameras, it seems like a good candidate to use those to record them while driving or to have motion activated recording while parked.

• Fanfare 100

July 12, 2022 at 10:26 pm

As Aptera comes to fruition, I also see the development of an ApteraQ-like group of haters. I believe that Sentry mode may at least catch evil-doing keyers and scratchers as this speciffic design will attract unexpected attention from both the good, as well as the folks who hate things that are green and efficient.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Fanfare 100.
  • Jonah Jorgenson

July 13, 2022 at 4:20 pm

There was never a plan to equip Aptera with a dash cam per sec. There will be cameras in the Aptera some of which will be forward looking as we know that the forthcoming SafetyPilot will be vision based rather than sensor based.

In a Q&A with Chris he indicated that there would not be a sentry mode in the first production Apterae. Such capability may come later as an over the air update as well as a fully functioning SafetyPilot.

Dash cams are not common and certainly don’t meet the standard of a basic feature as most are DYI addons

• Vernon Michael Gardner

July 13, 2022 at 4:42 pm

This is an old article and many more new vehicles have the option for a dash cam.

https://motorandwheels.com/popular-cars-with-in-built-dash-cams

Dash cams with back cam and larger screens are becoming very inexpensive. I just bought one for my 92 Toyota pick up. It also transmits so if the vehicle gets hit or vandalized (motion detection) while I am near by I will receive a notification. If I am not near by it still records the motion or impact. My insurance gives me a discount for having them in all my vehicles.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now