Delivering unwrapped vehicles

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Delivering unwrapped vehicles

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Delivering unwrapped vehicles

• Delivering unwrapped vehicles

• John Voules

July 22, 2022 at 7:57 am

If APTERA decides to wrap bodies please allow option for unwrapped vehicles so owners can PAINT

• Jonah Jorgenson

July 22, 2022 at 8:57 am

This is addressed in another thread. I am sure Aptera will not deliver unwrapped vehicles. Doing so would expose “Unfinished” vehicles to the public. Not an impression Aptera would want in the market place.

If a loan is sought for the the vehicle purchase, no lender would approve a loan for an “Unfinished” vehicle as it would decrease the value of the vehicle.

As an owner, you can do as you wish with your Aptera after it is delivered.

• Joshua Rosen

July 22, 2022 at 10:06 am

I’m not sure why people are making a big deal about this. Composites are a core competency of Aptera, I’m sure they’ll make a reasonable choice about how to protect the exposed surfaces. What’s more there aren’t a lot of exposed surfaces, mostly just the fenders. The car is covered with solar panels, they make up most of the surface of the car and nearly all of the areas that experience direct sunlight. Obviously you can’t put paint or wraps over the solar panels, they will have a transparent protective coating that made specifically for solar panels.

• Vernon SINNOTT

July 22, 2022 at 11:05 am

This is an excellent idea. There should be an option to select this with a discount shown.

• Russell Fauver

July 22, 2022 at 12:04 pm

I dunno, I think if I was wanting to paint my Aptera I’d be happy to have it wrapped at the factory. The way I understand it a fresh wrap is easily removed and it would protect the surface during delivery. The paint shop would have a pristine factory surface to prime and paint. Unwrapped, bare, it would be exposed to 2,000 to 3,000 miles (in my case) of road dirt, highway exhaust, stone chips, oil and grease splashing off the cars and trucks in front of the flatbed delivery truck and all that junk soaking into a naked, unsealed maybe even slightly porous surface? Yikes! Yeah, think I’d like mine to be wrapped for delivery. But, if I lived near the factory then Bare would be nice.

• John Voules

July 22, 2022 at 3:33 pm

My forgiveness as I could not find the previous post on this subject.

Almost all vehicles delivered have some type of protective wrap over the paint. My understanding is that the wraps themselves once removed also may have an extra step to remove any other surface solvent that would need to be removed. I’m looking for a way for both company and client to save money and time.

• John Malcom

July 22, 2022 at 4:33 pm

Glad to be out of Ukraine and back in the US where I don’t have to worry about being blown up when I try to sleep.

Looks like the forum is still debating the same issues as when I left. The first production Aptere will come wrapped as Aptera has claimed. Subsequent deliveries who knows, maybe a change. If paint is a driving need, quite easy to have done once delivered to a customer.

I don’t see any deliveries unwrapped

Worthy goal you pursue.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  John Malcom. Reason: Added idea
      • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  John Malcom. Reason: Correct spelling
  • Selvan Poothamby

July 22, 2022 at 4:36 pm

Surely there’s inexpensive white wraps made specifically for temporary use. It’ll look good.

It just dawned on me that maybe we should be concerned about the cooling tubes running down the sides. I’m sure Chris won’t leave us hanging though if it’s a thing.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 22, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Cooling tubes are in the belly pan only as has been stated by Aptera in several interviews/videos. The animation showing them moving around the vehicle was a poorly made illustration.

• Selvan Poothamby

July 23, 2022 at 6:11 am

Idk… The skin cooling is still in the FAQ. Daniel says the cooling plate will pull the heat and the (aluminum) belly pan rejects it to….I can’t makeout what exactly. I believe it’s sent to the skin.

At the 3min mark…

https://youtu.be/E8rfvRnwFJwhttps://youtu.be/E8rfvRnwFJw

• John Malcom

July 23, 2022 at 7:59 am

Oz is correct. There are cooling tubes In the belly pan with cooling fluid circulating through them. This is the cooling system for the batteries and is not apart of the HVAC system.

• Selvan Poothamby

July 23, 2022 at 8:19 am

I don’t think the fluids ends there in the belly. It does in the video only due to cost efficiency for testing purposes.

• John Malcom

July 23, 2022 at 8:41 am

Yes you are right. It travels to the back of the vehicle

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 23, 2022 at 9:52 am

IIRC the belly pan is aluminum, the main body parts are an inner and outer composite shell bonded together with a honeycomb interior. The main body would likely make a fairly poor heat exchanger (Let alone trying to cut them apart to install piping.), the fluid tubes and channels will only exist in the metal belly pan.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now