Diagnostic information on display.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Diagnostic information on display.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Diagnostic information on display.

• Diagnostic information on display.

V Pilot updated 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Posts
  • Joshua Rosen

February 28, 2022 at 4:41 pm

This is in keeping with the right to repair ethos. I’d like all of the diag information that would normally be available through an OBDII port to be available on the main display. OBDII is an antique technology, there is no reason to support that physical port when you have a display in the car that can show all the info in detail.

If there is a concern that this is something that might confuse non-technical owners then I suggest that it be locked away in a developer mode. On Pixel phones there is a secret handshake that unlocks the developer options, for those of you who don’t have Pixels the procedure is to tap seven times on the build number. Once you do that the developer options are available.

Personally I just like data, for example I’d like to know the status of all of the batteries, the temperatures and so forth. In a Tesla all of that information is available to Tesla remotely or through an Ethernet port, but only Tesla can access it that way. It is possible to hack an OBDII port into a Tesla, you can buy an adapter for that and then remove a panel in the back of the console to install it. Bjorn uses it in his videos to get detailed battery information. But Aptera wants everything to be out in the open so the right thing to do is to make it possible to read everything with no special equipment. At the very least have available through the main display but if it can be made available through the App or from a website that would be great also. Aptera will need this capability anyway, they won’t be able to do remote diagnostics without it. Owners should be able to access the same info.

BTW the Mass right to repair law requires that all telematic information that’s available to manufacturers also be available to independent repair shops. Subaru has responded to this by shutting off all telemetics to Subaru’s in Mass, so if anyone is thinking of getting a Subaru, just don’t/

• This discussion was modified 4 months ago by  Joshua Rosen.
  • Francis Giroux

February 28, 2022 at 5:56 pm

I would also like to see all repair manuals to be available on the main screen, including maintenance records and schedules. Even if I had to have much of this on a USB drive and plug it into a port on the screen or dash/consul that would be okay, maybe even better if I could also plug it into my computer as well, and with the ability to make copies of the drive. I might even want to video record a repair and make it a part of the permanent repair records.

While we are at it recording, why not also have the ability to record any or all video displayed on any screen or from any camera (sentry mode?)

• Curtis Cibinel

February 28, 2022 at 6:00 pm

Great point. This concept really fits with the idea of right to repair.

• V Pilot

February 28, 2022 at 6:39 pm

Subaru has been that way as far back as my son’s ’95 legacy, maybe farther back with OBD I. I still have my ’97 legacy, same generation. I use an onboard scan gauge in my ’08 Frontier. I can access any sensor/accessory with it. On the Subaru I can only access the emissions diagnostic code info. You need a scan tool capable of communicating with the Subaru computer code to access any deeper. It is possible, but it is very time consuming entering the code necessary to find what you want so I never bothered.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now