Did anyone ask them about the charge port at Fully Charged

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Did anyone ask them about the charge port at Fully Charged

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Did anyone ask them about the charge port at Fully Charged

• Did anyone ask them about the charge port at Fully Charged

Norman Roberts updated 3 weeks ago 11 Members · 15 Posts
  • Joshua Rosen

September 11, 2022 at 9:38 am

I watched the videos, he flashed the charging port to the crowd but it wasn’t visible. Did anyone ask if they have a deal with Tesla to use the Supercharger Network and if not if they’ve got CCS ready to go?

• Vernon Sinnott

September 11, 2022 at 9:42 am

There’s another video out there than shows it, and I’m almost certain it is the Tesla plug.

• Elzo Stubbe

September 11, 2022 at 12:02 pm

From Cyber Owners:

• BRUCE MENGLER

September 11, 2022 at 9:44 am

I was at the Thursday Ambassador presentation & I visually confirmed the Tesla connector at the rear of the vehicle behind the License plate holder which slides to the passenger side of the vehicle.

• Jeffrey Parker

September 11, 2022 at 9:48 am

I wonder if they’ve answered the question of how they plan to charge in the EU… I guess they are planning to re-engineer the charge port area to fit the larger plug sometime down the road (always love the “kick the can down the road” philosophy. I don’t know why not just engineer it once for similar sized ports and worry about the different voltages and leads that fit in near the same size constraints.

• George Hughes

September 11, 2022 at 11:08 am

The reason Tesla uses the J1772 plug in Europe is it is the law. Kind of like why Aptera had ‘real’ rear view mirrors in addition to the rearview cameras.

Thus, Aptera will do what they have to do.

Right now I’ve got a 40-amp 220v EVSE with the Jplug and I suspect I’ll get an adapter for it which costs about $80 at Target.

With the Tesla plug on Aptera in the US you have access to the best of all worlds as Aptera, because of its efficiency, solves the ‘charging’ issue with its multiple strategies which begins extreme conservation (100wh usage v. 700wh for regular EVs), continual sipping of electrons from the sun, access external solar panels, access to any 110v+ AC source of electricity from wall plugs to home level 2 EVSEs; as well as access to the most reliable (Tesla) charging infrastructure as well as the less reliable but more numerous Level 2 and 3 public chargers.

If that level of redundancy doesn’t solve your range anxiety, you’ll need a shrink.

• Kevin Bradbury

September 11, 2022 at 5:26 pm

@George Hughes – I’ll take a drink, oh wait, nevermind.

• Joshua Rosen

September 11, 2022 at 11:45 am

They have to reengineer it anyway. The US uses CCS1, the EU uses CCS2 which has a different form factor.

• David Marlow

September 11, 2022 at 10:14 am

Gamma has the Tesla connection. However when Chris was asked about it in the factory tour video he said that they did not yet have a firm agreement with Tesla about it. I am sure that Tesla has a patent on it. The Tesla parts that Aptera has been using so far, have come from scrapped Tesla’s.

• Gabriel Kemeny

September 11, 2022 at 4:40 pm

@David Marlow I think Chris was talking about a deal on using the Supercharger network, not the plug itself. It seems the kind of plug Aptera uses has been settled, for now.

• Joshua Rosen

September 11, 2022 at 5:23 pm

They have to have a Supercharger agreement to use the Tesla plug, it would be insane to use the Tesla connector without access to the Supercharger network. Without Supercharger access it’s just a Level 2 connector. The J1772 and Tesla connectors are fairly equivalent at Level 2. Its when you do DC charging that the Tesla connector is superior. It’s much smaller than CCS1, the communication on the Supercharger network is much more reliable than it is on the CCS network, and most importantly of all the Supercharger network works nearly 100% of the time (in three years I’ve encountered one bad cabinet which had zero effect on my ability to charge because there were six good plugs available), Electrify America not only has a much smaller footprint than the Supercharger network but it’s orders of magnitude less reliable. Without access to the Supercharger network they will have to use the CCS networks. A native connector is always preferable to a connector with an adapter, the adapter is just one more thing in the chain to go wrong and of course it’s awkward and inconvenient.

Bottom line either they get an agreement with Tesla to use the Supercharger network and to buy Tesla connectors or they have to hold their noses and use CCS1.

• Norman Roberts

September 12, 2022 at 10:19 am

I am not sure why Tesla would care if Aptera uses their connector or not. Tesla is in process of opening up Super Charges to all ! I think the question is whether they will allow Aptera to use their plug and charge like Tesla vehicles. So you do not have to use an app for charging. I own a Tesla and on my App there is already a function to charge a non Tesla which will show locations of Super Charges with CCS1 capabilities.

• Joshua Rosen

September 12, 2022 at 10:50 am

An app is a lousy way to enable charging, you have to have connectivity for that to work and the cell phone networks are even worse than the CCS networks. Tesla’s automatic plug and charge is the only reliable way to do it. The CCS chargers have credit card readers and RFID readers that will work even if there is no cell phone coverage, that’s how they work around not having reliable plug and charge.

• Norman Roberts

September 12, 2022 at 11:46 am

I have been at a few non Tesla chargers and you have to use app to let them know which location you are at and have your card on file or have funds in their account and real pain

• John Voules

September 11, 2022 at 5:10 pm

I was also told undecided at Fully Charge.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now