Don’t be a Tesla!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Don’t be a Tesla!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Don’t be a Tesla!

• Don’t be a Tesla!

• Peter Dezendorf

February 22, 2022 at 1:37 pm

Last week I was thinking I might want to get into an EV earlier than Aptera’s delivery. I drove my Audi A5 Sportback to CarMax to check how much they would give me for it. A lot!

While there I test drove a Tesla. Meh. Great acceleration and handling. Lousy UI. The seat heater was on and my back starting sweating. It took me nearly five minutes to find how to turn it off. The display shows where vehicles it has detected are around the car; more distracting than informative.

The oddest thing was, at the end of the test drive, I pulled on the door handle to open the door. A big message popped up on the screen stating, “Use the UI to open the door; it will lower the window first. Using the handle will tear the seal around the frameless window.” Gee, my Audi has frameless windows. When you pull the handle to open the door the first thing that happens is the window slides down about 1/8″. Tesla couldn’t figure that out?

Also, this CarMax had 10 or so Teslas from 2019 to 2021, some with only a few thousand miles. It seems like in this area (DC Metro) some people aren’t too happy with them.

Happy 2 22 22!

• Joshua Rosen

February 22, 2022 at 2:05 pm

There is a button on the door to open it, you used the emergency handle which you should only use in an emergency. Tesla’s have frameless windows which have to be rolled down before you open the door. If you had pressed the right button that would have happened automatically. The car will automatically roll up the windows and lock the doors when you walk away from it. Tesla tries to make everything as automatic as possible. The UI is more advanced then you are used to but if you owned the car you’d figure it all out in about 5 minutes.

• Curtis Cibinel

February 22, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Tesla has forged the way for what an EV startup can be. In many ways Aptera is using the exact same playbook and that isnt a bad thing. The vehicle design is amazing and any partnership regarding tesla charge plugs would be a bonus. Service is an ongoing challenge for Tesla and like their paint and gaps we can hope that they will take the recent criticisms to heart and fix the problem with more service staff and parts inventory. Right to repair and general efficiency are the two big advantages Aptera has over tesla and I believe that will be enough to carve a niche in the market.

• Peter Jorgensen

February 23, 2022 at 12:35 pm

There’s a button on the door to open the door that retracts the window so it can be opened normally. You used the emergency handle which is a manual override.

• Robert Hauck

February 23, 2022 at 2:35 pm

It is bad UI design to have two different ways to open the door. This kind of thing is one reason I don’t like Tesla. They have too many clever gimmicks that aren’t actually very clever at all.

• Joshua Rosen

February 23, 2022 at 7:14 pm

It’s a button, how hard is that? The emergency latch is hidden away, I don’t know how you even found it. Modern doors and windows are electric which makes them easier to use but if something happens to the electrical system in an accident you need a backup which is why they put in the mechanical latch.

• Robert Hauck

February 24, 2022 at 6:36 am

So the emergency latch is hidden??? Say that out loud a couple of times and think about it.

• Joshua Rosen

February 24, 2022 at 7:28 am

Everyone knows where it is but it’s out of the way so that people don’t accidentally use it. You spent five minutes with a car with a radically different user interface and nobody bothered to walk you through it. When they took the keyboards off of phones that must have been a big shock to you but you adapted. If you had a Tesla you’d adapt in a few minutes and you would see how much better it is.

Tesla’s goal is to make everything automatic, for the car to just do the right thing on it’s own. They aren’t there yet but for many things they are. For example you don’t need a key or a start button. Your phone is the key. You walk up to the car, it unlocks itself, you get in and put the car in drive or reverse and that’s it. When you get out of the car you don’t have to lock it or roll up the windows, you just walk away and it does that itself. The backup key is an RFID card which you keep in your wallet and only use if your phone isn’t working. It’s in your wallet so you can’t lose it and because it’s RFID and not a key fob it doesn’t have a battery to fail. With old fashion cars I had to carry two key chains in case I accidentally locked my keys in the car. With key fob cars I also had two chains and two fobs because a key fob could fail when it’s battery ran down. With the Tesla none of that is necessary. Giving my girlfriend access to the car was a simple as adding her phone to the key list, now she can go to the car and get something without me having to give her a key or go myself. If my phone runs out of juice her’s will do the trick and if they both run out I have an RFID card in my wallet.

• Robert Hauck

February 24, 2022 at 10:32 am

1. I was not the original poster.

2. This is in no way comparable to moving from a physical keyboard to a virtual one on my phone.

3. Are you sure you’ll remember the second latch when the car is on fire and you’re injured? Having to do something different to get out of the car in an emergency vs normal is a safety fail. It is bad human factors engineering and there’s really no excuse.

4. None of the automation you talk so adoringly about precludes have a single latch mechanism on the inside.

5. You have bizarre ideas about how modern fob-based key systems work. You don’t need to carry an extra fob. The mechanical key is in the fob and there’s a method to start the car with a dead fob.

6. By all means, keep digging that hole.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Robert Hauck.
  • Jose Osorio

February 23, 2022 at 1:43 pm

I would hope Aptera is on top of it’s game just like Tesla is. I work for Mercedes-Benz as a technician and the complaints that you have are generally those of a client that does not take the time to understand their vehicle. I am sure blackberry fans felt the same way about the iphone and its departure from the norm when it came out. they too had to learn to adapt to the changing world around them. Goodluck grandpa.

• Pistonboy Delux

February 23, 2022 at 10:31 pm

Grandpa ?

I don’t remember him calling you Sonny .

• Pistonboy Delux

February 23, 2022 at 10:55 pm

I listened to a radio talk show where the host, who appeared quite knowledgeable about cars, said he could never figure out why he always saw a large number of low mileage used Teslas for sale in lots.

I suspect the primary reasons are the user interface (UI) and the minimalist interior. I suspect they present a “cold” and unfriendly feeling to the occupants and after a while they trade it in for something that has a warmer feeling.

This is something I have worried about regarding the Aptera. I go for a recreational 90 mile drive through the country, at least 9 out of 10 days. My favorite car is the Porsche 914 because it has a cozy feeling to me. I want the Aptera to have that same warm feeling, and I am worried it will not. I could have a vase with a flower in it like the reborn VW beetle, but I suspect it will take more that that.

• Curtis Cibinel

February 23, 2022 at 11:58 pm

Lightly used (under 1 year old) Tesla’s in my area are selling for up to $10,000 over new prices just so people can avoid the wait time. All vehicles have unique quirks and putting everything on a touchscreen is a big transition for some but I really don’t think many are unhappy with it.

Personally I’m a power user and would love to be able to organize / customize control widgets on the home screen to my purposes (just as I do with my phone). A 15 inch touchscreen even if you only use the bottom 2 inches is enough room for a ton of buttons that would otherwise be buried in menus. I really hope the philosophies and openness of Aptera will allow me to build the UI to what I want (I’ll write code and share it if I can); not counting on it but it would be nice 🙂

• Robert Hauck

February 24, 2022 at 10:36 am

I the 80’s I had a 914 and loved it. Almost bought one on Bring a Trailer recently but when bidding got over $38K I wimped out. That one ended up going for $50K (a really nice late-model 2-liter).

I don’t really care for all the automation Joshua seems to adore. It is alright and doesn’t bother me in general but I won’t pay extra for it and it for sure should not have features that compromise safety in the edge cases.

ETA: I work near the Carlsbad location and noticed Sol was there one day. So I stopped in and got to talking to the folks and they let me sit in it for a while. It does indeed have that cosy feeling you talk about. I’m sure it rides better than a 914 too 😎

• Peter Dezendorf

February 24, 2022 at 7:22 pm

Wow, with all the comments, I must jump back in!

First, a shout out to my grandson, Jose. Thanks for the well wishes!

The handle I pulled was in no way hidden. It was were a door handle should be. Next, you have all missed my comment that my Audi rolls down the window when you touch the door handle. Tesla couldn’t figure out how to do that ?

As far as the seat heaters, again, Tesla couldn’t make the controls obvious? If I have to remember three levels of menus to perform simple actions, then Tesla fails.

My first personal computer I bought in 1985. (Jose, that was before you were born.) I worked in DoD and the IC for 35 years. When ever I heard a contractor say, “It’s a training problem,” I knew it was a poor design problem.

OK, this old, retired guy may be wrong, but if Aptera delivers a vehicle requiring multiple menu level memory, they will limit their sales. I like to keep my eyes on the road.

Vamos, Jose!

• Robert Hauck

February 24, 2022 at 7:51 pm

My BMW also has frameless windows and the door handle works the same as your Audi. Apparently everyone but Tesla has this figured out.

I agree that common functions like seat heaters and wipers should be immediately available whether on a screen or as a physical button. You don’t want to spend time clicking through menus while speeding down the road. Getting that right is not trivial and takes engineering effort.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now