Driving Dynamics

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Driving Dynamics

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Driving Dynamics

• Driving Dynamics

Posted by boz-oclown on April 25, 2022 at 12:47 pm

I’m taking a wait-and-see approach on many aspects of the production Aptera. But my biggest concern is the driving dynamics.

I learned to drive in an old American, two ton sedan. It was great and I eventually learned to drive it fast. Then I discovered the VW bug. What a difference. It was so maneuverable. It communicated to me. It was so easy to drive and easy to drive at its limits. Very “sporty”. Eventually I started driving BMWs and Porsches which were the best and I loved their dynamics.

Which brings me back to the Aptera. How will it drive? How well will it communicate with me. Like a Porsche or a BMW sport sedan?… Or a Pinto? Time will tell.

If Aptera gets it right, then they (and we) will start down a great, long, interesting path. Otherwise it will die faster than a Vega.

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 12 months ago by  Boz O'Clown. Reason: Add notification of replies
    craig-merrow replied 2 weeks ago 13 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Driving Dynamics

craig-merrow updated 2 weeks ago 13 Members · 19 Replies
  • kerbe2705

April 25, 2022 at 4:29 pm

The Chevy Vega took two years to design and was in production from 1970 through 1977. All told, 2,006,661 of them were produced. In 1971, it was Motor Trend’s “Car of the Year”.

If you watch any of the several excellent “ride-along” videos from journalists who’ve had the chance to experience the Beta prototype you’ll find that every one of them speaks of how balanced and well-planted it seems to be – even though it’s just a test “mule”. Steve Lee says of his experience that if felt like being in a sports car – tight and controlled. I think we’ve nothing to worry about.

• boz-oclown

April 25, 2022 at 10:21 pm

Thank you for your reply. It’s comforting to hear of the favorable impressions from those ride-alongs.

My first exposure was when Jay Leno previewed and drove the Alpha prototype for his YouTube channel. What was bothersome was he had nothing to say of the driving dynamics. He said it was comfortable and peppy. I’m more interested in how well it rides and handles.

Oh well. Time will tell.

• kerbe2705

April 25, 2022 at 10:24 pm

Seriously: Check out the videos from “Aptera Owners Club” and “Transport Evolved” on YouTube. There’s also a more light-hearted video from “Rich Rebuilds”.

• jeffrey-parker

April 25, 2022 at 5:32 pm

I’ve read that the Polaris Slingshot is similar to a Miata and motorcycle cross. I’d imagine that the Aptera at 2200 lbs and 3.5sec or 5.5sec vs the Miata at 5.8sec and the Slingshot at 5.6sec.

I love my Miata and I can’t wait to add the Aptera to my stable.

• john-malcom

April 25, 2022 at 5:54 pm

You should seek the first opportunity for an Aptera driving experience. As the vehicle roles out of production there should be many opportunities locally with early reservation holders when they get their vehicles and or public showings.

Certainly can’t promise handling like a Porche but I think you will be pleasantly surprised and it will cost a mountain of money less to maintain.

And you will redeem yourself with the Environment😁

• curtis-cibinel

April 25, 2022 at 10:50 pm

From their track testing with beta it looks like they were doing moose (iso double lane change) tests at about 48 mph (I counted frames and another person noticed the speedometer angle vs another shot that showed the number at the same). Apparently the porche macan seems to be failing at the base 43.5mph run due to aggressive anti-roll software. So based on this data point it would appear Aptera may handle better than a porche based on a standardized test 🤣. https://teknikensvarld.expressen.se/nyheter/bil-och-trafik/porsche-macan-behaves-strangely-in-the-moose-test-162276/

Ps: yes I realize most people assume your talking about a porche 911 but I couldn’t find its moose test results. 48 mph would put Aptera ahead of the vast majority of vehicles. The only other porche I could find results for is an 04 996 gt2 which managed 50 mph.

Pss: here is a fun video for 💩 and 🤭s. https://youtu.be/qIN8CyhYREM

• george-hughes

April 25, 2022 at 11:56 pm

Judging from the posts here from long- timers, no one wants to over-promise the dynamic excellence we all hope for with Aptera.

Among the things that should build confidence is the participation of Roush Engineering on the suspension of this vehicle which has been, at least on occasion, referred to as a roadster.

Further, the videos at the test track with the moose maneuver also work to inspire confidence along with the independent reports of the together suspension of the Beta ‘mule.’

Are these guarantees? Nope, but I think it clear the intent of those designing and making the Aptera is to meet a high-bar in this respect.

From my perspective, the difference electrification has already made over their ICE-powered stablemates – think the Volt over its sister model and the Spark EV over the regular Spark. I can state categorically the EV is a wholly different and better beast than than the underpowered, four-banger, especially with the automatic. The vastly improved dynamics come from the location of the vehicle battery and ample increase in power, both elemental aspects of the Aptera.

• boz-oclown

April 26, 2022 at 5:30 am

Yep. Light weight, wide stance, low center of gravity and Roush engineering makes this very promising. If they get it right, I won’t be that surprised, but I’ll be very happy. I have my fingers and toes crossed. Thanks for the input.

• joshua-rosen

April 26, 2022 at 7:00 am

I’m hoping it has a tight turning radius. The car is capable of torque vectoring but I doubt they’ll have that out the door put hopefully soon after in an OTA, that should help. I’ve been disappointed in the turning radius in the Model 3, it’s a lot wider than I would expect in a mid sized car. The car with a surprisingly small radius was my old Chrysler 300C, it was a giant sedan but it had a remarkably tight turning radius. It was better in parking garages than my Tesla.

• kerbe2705

April 26, 2022 at 8:20 am

Without a steerable rear wheel I doubt that Aptera will have a very tight turning radius.

• Mike-Mars

December 29, 2022 at 9:57 am

The estimates are that it has a fairly poor turning circle / radius. It should be pointed out that’s just people looking at videos and trying to figure it out from there, not any official numbers, so the actual turning circle may be different to people’s estimates. While I’d really like to see a steerable rear wheel, I don’t think there is any chance of it happening – too heavy / extremely expensive / etc.

• paul-schultz

April 26, 2022 at 3:18 pm

Torque vectoring should be an out-the-door feature. It is a feature already available in the Elaphe software which I would think Aptera is using as its base. Elaphe doesn’t just make motors. They also make other major components such as controllers, firmware, etc. to integrate them into an OEM vendor’s vehicle.

• kerbe2705

May 12, 2022 at 9:49 pm

Aptera has said that they weren’t planning to use the Elaphe controllers…

• Andrew

December 28, 2022 at 4:09 pm

Just here to chime in my hot take on the topic of Aptera’s handling. The basic fundamentals of the Aptera design are a nontrivial benefit to enjoyable handling, not a handicap. Whatever the specifcs, the structure will be very stiff with an exceedingly low center of mass. The intrinsic suspension limitation is basically the most well-known, well-used configuration for a light, sporty feel. A 70/30 weight distro is almost inevitable given the layout. So it is basically my opinion that the team would have to make really naive mistakes for this beast to not handle in a way that is rewarding to drive.

What are my credentials for this opinion? None. I am a good cook. 👌

• kerbe2705

December 28, 2022 at 9:45 pm

@Andrew Oudin Being a good cook is an important skill – and so much better than being a bad cook! Your points are well-made, but look at the dates of the earlier comments and you’ll see that they were written during the Alpha and Beta phases of development.

Considering that the single heaviest component of the vehicle – its battery pack – is more-or-less centered between the three wheels, I’m guessing the weight distribution won’t be quite so front-biased as you posit.

• robert-wakeman

April 9, 2024 at 9:27 am

From what I have seen and from what I know this vehicle has the potential to handle incredibly well. I mean over the top handling. I’m glad that they are not talking about it. Because they will not know until they put the finished car on the track. With all the traction control programs in place. Just my opinion be prepared to have your mind blow away. Can not wait to drive it.

• george-hughes

April 9, 2024 at 1:36 pm

The vehicle’s computer controls the torque vectoring means software tuning can make a tremendous difference in the ‘ride’. One of the questions going back some way is how manipulative the software will allow the owner as the permutations could be legend.

Couple this with the addition of active suspension components – I’m really hoping for a third party active component for the rear suspension. It may take a few years, but not only are talking about a potential ‘close to perfect’ compromise between handling and an exceptionally smooth ride.

But the really cool part is that ‘the component’ architecture of the Aptera begs custom adaptations that, may, for instance cut the cost of the retrofits by offering a ‘trade in’ for the new active suspension including, if so equipped, the entire package including motor.

As companies scramble to compete in an industry where mega-castings and other simplifying and weight-reduction strategies look to prevail; the industrial model of assembly facilities being integrated with disassembly lines, renewal, recycling and sustainable generational ownership becomes attainable.

Aptera’s manufacturing architecture fits the bill and surpasses, in one very important way, the mega-factory model. By distributing assembly in small, clean, and easy to site plants with key production elements involving local citizens in meaningful labor, this production model is inherently more morally and socially ‘evolved’.

Add to that the potential for a rapidly maturing component part manufacturing environment much like the desktop computer industry from the early ’80s when you first had the proprietary Apple II and McIntosh and the open-architecture of the PC world where you could source all sorts of plug and play components, with pretty good assurance they’d work.

I know no one is anywhere close to that imagined world, but of all the industry models out there, Aptera’s approach to production, with compartmentalized components built to specific standards that are distributed to potentially thousands of assembly/disassembly plants world wide.

Yep, the BinC is the world’s first mobile computer case.

• craig-merrow

April 9, 2024 at 5:20 pm

Definitely a lot of aftermarket potential with Aptera! The vehicle will lend itself well to a number of aftermarket configurations to suit the owner’s preferences. Will be interesting to see what happens when the performance tuners get their hands on one!

• Sam

April 9, 2024 at 11:01 am

It all weighs in on how comfy that seat is and positionable.

or to reply.