Efficiency of the Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Efficiency of the Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Efficiency of the Aptera

• Efficiency of the Aptera

• Mark Singleton

March 25, 2022 at 11:21 am

Aptera tells me 10miles/kWh is calculated from the 2,200 lb 100kwh model (Awd or fwd unclear).

The 25kwh model weighs 1450 lbs.

750 lb difference.

= worse driving dynamics

= ~ 25% less efficient

Also if they actually put a 25kwh pack in, then that variant gets closer to 315 miles.

Also closer to 50 miles from sun

Worth considering all this buyers.

• This discussion was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  bbelcamino.
  • Paul Evans

March 25, 2022 at 1:17 pm

Mark, those are interesting points. For now, I’m not concerned about the finer details of car weight on mileage or handling qualities. It’s too early in the development cycle to accurately determine those figures.

The most recent updates, videos and interviews point toward better motor efficiency, a smoother ride, and less motor whine. Even the early estimates were so much better than any other streetable EV of similar dimensions that I reserved one and became an investor.

It’s comforting to learn of Aptera’s improvements and progress. Bigger cake and way more icing! Yum.

I have to go now because I’m drooling all over the keyboard….

• Curtis Cibinel

March 25, 2022 at 1:31 pm

They have explained in multiple calls that the battery sizes are approximate. The 250 mile version will probably be more like 21 kwh. The weight will improve miles / kwh but the math is complex. If you want to play with the numbers based on speed and weight see my calculator https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tuu7avKH2dS_JPk7aiP2av09a1f1WE0OvvNH6fdHpiQ/edit#gid=1285203539 or use motormatchup.com

• Joshua Rosen

March 25, 2022 at 1:33 pm

I hope they release the real numbers by the end of the summer. For now everything is just a goal.

It stands to reason that the smaller the battery the higher the efficiency but by how much will depend on how you drive. Accelerating from 0 MPH it’s all about mass, cruising on the highway at a steady 75MPH it’s about drag. For road trippers a big battery is the right tradeoff, I think the 600 mile variant is the sweet spot, more than that you are just carrying around extra weight without any real benefit unless you live in some wilderness with huge distances and no charging, less than 600 miles and you’ll have to plan charging stops. For people who only want to commute and travel around in their local metropolitan area then the 25KWh version would be optimal, you’ll save money and it will be more efficient especially in stop and go traffic.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now