Electro Magnetic Pulse threat.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Electro Magnetic Pulse threat.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Electro Magnetic Pulse threat.

• Electro Magnetic Pulse threat.

Stefan Obel updated 4 days, 1 hour ago 19 Members · 32 Posts
  • Rodney Kagy

May 6, 2022 at 9:32 pm

The USA and Europe are quite vulnerable to an EMP attack, either by a nuclear power or terrorists. Having an operative solar powered vehicle would be a major asset after such an attack. I assume that at least some of the Aptera’s control systems are vulnerable to this type of attack. Is there any possibility that these systems could have FARADAY cloth shielding? If not then could these systems be identified so I/we could add this shielding after delivery.

• kerbe2705

May 6, 2022 at 10:09 pm

EVERY modern day vehicle is susceptible to EMP – because electronic ignition is a thing. Also sunspots…

• Joshua Rosen

May 7, 2022 at 6:14 am
  • John Malcom

May 7, 2022 at 7:26 am

Protection against EMP is not a planned feature of the Aptera vehicle as the probability of such a threat is very low. Once the vehicle is purchases you are free to make changes you want. With the large numbers of wires protecting against EMP will be quite a challenge.

• Joshua Caldwell

May 7, 2022 at 11:32 am

Why even bother caring about whether or not the Aptera is vulnerable to an EMP just like absolutely everything else made since the 1800’s is.

• Dennis Swaney

May 7, 2022 at 1:48 pm

Nope, it is the use of semiconductor based electronics that are vulnerable to an EMP event. Vacuum tube electronics can survive an EMP event. Soviet Russia even used tubes in their high performance aircraft into the 1970s if not later. This was demonstrated when Soviet pilot Viktor Belenko defected with his MiG-25 in 1976. So if you can replace the semiconductor based computers and other electronics in your Aptera with vacuum tube versions, you should be safe.

Oh, a simple faraday cage won’t work for EMP protection but maybe you could use the same TEMPEST requirements of the US military to harden your Aptera.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 7, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Come on people be realistic. Its a consumer vehicle. What’s next bioweapon defense mode.

• Dennis Swaney

May 7, 2022 at 1:53 pm

With the proper sealing, filtering, and internal overpressure, you might be able to survive long enough to don your MOPP gear!

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

May 7, 2022 at 3:36 pm

At least zombie resistant windows.

• Thomas Bushaw

May 7, 2022 at 2:54 pm

I suspect that if there is an EMP attack, the well-being of my Aptera will not be really too high on my list of worries.

• Llewellyn Evans

May 7, 2022 at 3:38 pm

Coronal mass ejections are not rare, we near-missed a big one that passed through our orbit this year. We also hit a category G3 on the 14th of April.

A G5 can damage electricity grids.

The best advice in a G5 is to un-plug everything from the grid.

I am GUESSING that charging your Aptera from solar will probably be fine.

PHYSICS NERDS … please correct me if I am wrong.

Geomagnetic Storm Scale

https://spaceweather.sansa.org.za/space-weather-information/definitions/noaa-scales/297-geomagnetic-storm-scale

• Gary Greenway

May 7, 2022 at 4:33 pm

I agree the Aptera should be fine in a CME. Unless it’s plugged in charging.

Fortunately we have advance warnings on these things to allow us to flip our breakers off and unplug the expensive stuff.

• John Trotter

May 7, 2022 at 4:58 pm

Sheesh. I know, no question is a bad question, but this comes close. Widespread nuclear EMP would be accompanied with a collapse of the world economy, not to mention widespread radiation and blast effects. Wildly unprecedented solar EMP might, just might, have an effect, but my little Aptera would be the least of my worries. Machine-generated EMP pulses are far less risky than just plain projectiles, something this country allows for civilians in abundance.

• Llewellyn Evans

May 7, 2022 at 7:09 pm

If you want bullet proof there is always the Cyber truck.

• John Malcom

May 7, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Perhaps asked tongue in cheek…..

• Jim I

May 8, 2022 at 5:45 am

Probably related: War of the Worlds is on Netflix 🀣

The problem with creating a solution that makes it so everything you own survives a disaster is that someone (or more likely, some people) is going to come and take your stuff if we’re really at that Mad Max stage. A solar powered car that functions in the described scenario is going to get fought over and probably destroyed and where are you going anyways when 7 billion people are now in desperate survival mode and you’re using a literal priceless item?

You’re going to die some day, accept your fate. Better off spending your time and money on ways to enjoy this life as opposed to solutions for problems that don’t exist and even if they do come to fruition, your preparation is likely to be for naught.

Want to survive an apocalypse? Turn yourself into a backpacker, secure water, make yourself mobile and inconspicuous and if the disaster lasts longer than a few months, whatever, wasn’t meant to be anyways.

If you really want to prepare for this kind of emergency, work with organizations. We’re social beings and the “takers” are going to band together, find a group. The loaner either dies or lives a miserable life.

Joining the National Guard or a relief organization is the more practical and logical “extreme” preparedness scenario. Be apart of humanity in both this life and the one you’re scared of existing.

• Llewellyn Evans

May 10, 2022 at 5:11 pm

When world war 3 comes, the only things left moving will be cockroaches and Aptera (plural?).

not being serious.

• John Malcom

May 10, 2022 at 5:34 pm

Cockroaches for sureπŸ˜‰

• Lord Chad Dunham

May 10, 2022 at 8:00 pm

I’d bet Keith Richards might survive as well since all of the drugs haven’t killed him yet.

• Stefan Obel

May 17, 2022 at 7:31 am

don’t forget the scorpions πŸ™‚

• Philip Raymond

May 11, 2022 at 8:38 pm

Well I’m ready for when robots attack and they will! Their strong metal claws are no match for my Aptera……

https://youtu.be/g4Gh_IcK8UM

• Stefan Obel

May 17, 2022 at 7:35 am

Thank you for sharing life changing commercial.
      There is such a wealth of information on SNL.

• Kevin Bradbury

May 12, 2022 at 5:55 pm

I am unplugging my Roomba.😟

Anyone interested in a used Roomba?😜

• Llewellyn Evans

May 12, 2022 at 6:19 pm

OOOH

mememememememememe

• Stefan Obel

May 17, 2022 at 7:36 am

I donated my roomba to the Habitat for Humanity thrift store.

• John Malcom

May 12, 2022 at 6:00 pm

It is so good we can have a sense of humor and a little fun in the times we live in. Says something good about Aptera enthusiasts 😁

• Konijn tje

May 13, 2022 at 10:23 am

thanks for making this thread. I personally think that Europa and the USA are also vulnerable to nuclear attacks. Will my aptera survive if it’s bombed by a nuclear weapon? Can i sit in the car radiation-free? Will it be possible to harness the power of the radiation to drive when the air is covered in ash?

Thanks team.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Konijn tje.
    • Stefan Obel

May 17, 2022 at 7:42 am

Beware of the Neutrino / Neutron bomb.

Your vehicle will most likely survive a close encounter but not a direct hit.
      The whole idea of that type of device is to maximize organic impact while leaving the infrastructure mostly intact. Disclaimer: cockroaches and scorpions don’t qualify as “organic” in this context LOL

So while your Aptera may very well survive that kind of device, you sitting in the vehicle probably would not fare as well.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

May 13, 2022 at 11:32 am

top gear did video on being struck by lightening in a normal car. “more Pi” on youtube did vidoe on his older prius struck by lightening stoped working.

• Llewellyn Evans

May 13, 2022 at 5:35 pm

Lightning strike …… In an Aptera you are not fully enclosed in conductive metal. There is the leads from the roof solar and the panel itself …. but I don’t how much protection that would afford you.

In other words you could get hit by lightning inside an Aptera ????? Lightning strike on carbon fibre parts is also exciting. (in a bad way)

Physics nerds please correct me if I am wrong.

• Stefan Obel

May 17, 2022 at 7:45 am

Quick fix for that: Add some chicken wire to the vehicle. It is lightweight but still has the protective properties that protect the chicken from the fox πŸ™‚

Viewing 1 - 16 of 16 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now