(en)Gender Issues

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions (en)Gender Issues

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions (en)Gender Issues

• (en)Gender Issues

• Philip Sandiford

June 10, 2022 at 8:11 am

Anecdotal evidence only: what about this vehicle engenders far more interest from XY-types than XX-types? I see only green Aptera teeshirt wearing XX-types with positive feelings about the company on the discussion board and my wife’s reaction is … people inclined to look at Apterii as a reasonable choice have waaaaay too much discretionary spending in their life. 🤔

• John Voules

June 10, 2022 at 9:15 am

Wife might be right….That’s why I ordered 2

• Philip Sandiford

June 10, 2022 at 9:59 am

🤔😆😂

• Francis Giroux

June 12, 2022 at 1:18 pm

I ordered three, one for me, one for my wife, and one for my daughter.

• Riley ________________________________

June 10, 2022 at 9:44 am

Once aptera has cars on the road I believe more women will be more interested in aptera than men at first glance. It’s the technical details that will be the main draw for men after the first sight of such a strange car. From my point of view the reason why we see so few women this early in the process is due to the way aptera is being placed out into the world right now.

• Philip Sandiford

June 10, 2022 at 10:09 am

I think you may be right: I have found Aptera categorized as a RV in impressions videos.

Might XX-types be more risk adverse? Maybe SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) can see the light after the marketing and FUD is cleared out of the air.

The founders seem convinced this concept is a practical replacement for the family sedan (for two people) but we need butts in seats to prove them right.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

June 10, 2022 at 10:27 am

I think it may be a bit of the fact that most of us XY-types are loudmouths.

• Efrain Goody

June 13, 2022 at 6:08 am

Have I correctly identified you as a fellow Now You Know follower?

• Karen Copher

June 10, 2022 at 2:41 pm

Perhaps there are many of us just waiting quietly for the right moment. We are out here.

• Philip Sandiford

June 10, 2022 at 3:02 pm

Thank you Karen. I was worried I stumbled into a “men’s club.” (ewww)

• Patrick Liebknecht

June 10, 2022 at 7:29 pm

My girlfriend says it’s ugly and she won’t ride in it.

Just like my 1952 mgtd because it doesn’t have seat belts

or my 56 bug because it didn’t have air bags or seat belts

Do you see a trend ?

• Dennis Swaney

June 10, 2022 at 7:39 pm

The trend I see is you looking for a different girlfriend soon. 😉

• Patrick Liebknecht

June 10, 2022 at 8:22 pm

Women are more sensible. They think like the momma bear. Safety for the family first. They want safe looking safe feeling vehicles for their families ,

I had 2 fiat X1/9 sports cars. They were designed much like the aptera in the sense they were built to take a hit and keep you safe.

However the safety conscious girlfriend. Didn’t “feel” safe because they were small.

She loves my 1000+ airbag Volvo. LoL

• Patrick Liebknecht

June 10, 2022 at 8:18 pm

The trend I see , is I get to drive in peace and quiet 🙂

• Karen Copher

June 11, 2022 at 11:39 am

Have the 60’s returned? So much stereotyping of women. I hope Aptera’s fine female engineers and designers are laughing and not taking the sexist comments to seriously.

I have followed Aptera since their start, placed my reservation over 8 months ago and invested in the company. My husband may drive it when I’m not flying down the road up here in the Pacific NW!

• Alain Chuzel

June 11, 2022 at 1:33 pm

Sadly, it’s simply a matter that while you can take a boy out of the 60’s, you can’t always take the 60’s out of a boy.

• Efrain Goody

June 13, 2022 at 6:20 am

Wait, what sexist comments? Every comment that I see here which differentiates between men and women paints women in a positive light. Statistics and trends are just facts. You can dispute the veracity of them, but they can’t be sexist. It’s just math.

• Lisa Hillard

June 28, 2022 at 11:09 pm

Preach! I’ve been able to do basic car repairs since I was about 15.

What sold me on the Aptera was the Right to Repair ethos. To be able to fix my own vehicle, without the ridiculous costs charged by dealers, was a major selling point for me. I can’t wait to get that email that mine is ready for delivery.

• Patrick Liebknecht

June 11, 2022 at 4:29 pm

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/men-vs-women-car-buyinghttps://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/men-vs-women-car-buying

“WHAT ARE WOMEN LOOKING FOR?

Although women typically have a good idea of the characteristics they’re looking for in a new vehicle, they’re still twice as likely to be undecided about their vehicle choices. Only 38% of women report feeling confident when buying a car.

Women are thoughtful when purchasing a new car and the buying cycle takes a bit longer than men, usually averaging around 75 days to complete a purchase.

Unlike men, women tend to prefer non-luxury brands and are motivated to find vehicles that are affordable and known for their durability, reliability, and safety. Kia, Honda, and Nissan are just some of the brands that are preferred by women. One explanation for this is that women tend to be more utility-minded.”

( I’m guessing that survey was run by misogynistic males from the 60s )

• Laura Batchelor

June 13, 2022 at 11:49 am

The minute I found out that I could possibly never buy gas/electric power again with the solar panels, I started taking it seriously. My second thought was range. It was the only vehicle at the time with the range we need. After that I looked at safety, which was addressed by Aptera videos, chats and the FAQ. So, I suspect that when Aptera started addressing those things in factual videos that were on youtube, women became more interested – or at least I did. While I appreciate the engineering and technical details, I must admit that I really only want something that can get us from Point A to Point B (200 miles, a couple of times a month) and back safely, without using gas or plugging in. The fact that it is so fun looking is a bonus – at least I will be able to find it in a parking lot full of round-cornered boxes. (Just one woman’s opinion.

EDIT: Oh, and I don’t often wear tee shirts because they generally unflattering on certain bodies, including mine. Now if Aptera comes out with a V neck that has a bit of shaping so I don’t wind up with wads of fabric around my waist while being stretched tight across the girls, then I’d get one. Maybe. I did notice that Sarah cut the neck out of hers in the last update and she looks fabulous.

EDIT 2: I forgot to add that I’d been seriously looking for several years to get a car to replace my 2001 Honda CRV that was destroyed in 2017. I wanted an EV but was not impressed with anything out there because of price, range and the fact that I’d still have to plug it in. (So I would get twice the mileage with a hybrid? Big whoop. I’d still be using power generated by fossil fuels.) Aptera ticked the boxes for my needs. I’m a practical person and I think most women will see the advantages if they get the info. All of my girlfriends like the look and will probably be interested when they NEED to buy a car, but they want to see a working one that they can test out and purchase, instead of buying sight unseen. Not one of them has more money than brains, and they all think it’s a reasonable price. Fingers crossed that Aptera can hold the line on the initial quoted price.

• Philip Sandiford

June 13, 2022 at 1:34 pm

👍 Spead the word!

• Larry Mason

June 29, 2022 at 9:53 am

I agree with everything you said, including missing my Gen 1 CR-V, my favorite vehicle to date. (Being a newcomer, I can’t relate to t-shirt issues as I haven’t stumbled across anything that resembles a swag store). But I have high hopes for an Aptera being my new favorite ride. Can’t wait for an opportunity to test-fit my butt in a seat.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

June 29, 2022 at 10:06 am

Larry, Click the menu bars at the top of the page, (On a desktop, to the left of the Aptera logo.) scroll all the way down, “Shop” 2nd from the last link.

• Larry Mason

June 29, 2022 at 10:55 am

Thanks. I was ignoring that menu item since I’ve already preordered my limit. I was taking it as a verb, as in “shop for Apteri (?)”, not a noun, although, in context, it could be either. I have now visited The Shop.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

June 29, 2022 at 11:10 am

According to Aptera, they use the plural “Apterae”, though actually Aptera (In the usage they took the word from.) in the dictionary is a plural noun, so Aptera itself could technically suffice.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now