Ergonomics for older folks…

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Ergonomics for older folks…

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Ergonomics for older folks…

• Ergonomics for older folks…

Leonard Nowak updated 1 week, 1 day ago 18 Members · 30 Posts
  • Richard Mitchell

April 15, 2022 at 2:11 pm

Just curious whether any folks of “retirement age” have test-driven the Aptera alpha test vehicle and have comments about the comfort of the vehicle for entry/exit, seats, visibility, etc.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, the descriptions of the Aptera’s laser-focus on efficiency and the potential range of an Aptera, make this vehicle appealing as a retirement vehicle, with great range, low cost of operation, fast recharge times, 2 passenger (+ dog!) capacity, etc. I’d love to have one of these to pursue my photography hobby guilt-free!

My main concerns are how this car would feel to drive and to get in and out of, and the comfort of the seats for long-range drives. Anyone have experience with this that they’d like to share?

Also – does anyone know if it is yet possible to visit San Diego for a test-drive? I haven’t plunked down a deposit (yet!) but likely to do so within the next week or so, potentially along with an investment.

Comments appreciated.

• Joshua Rosen

April 15, 2022 at 2:56 pm

Somebody needs to do it. Judging from the posters in this group you aren’t alone, I’m 67 and I’m the baby of the senior cadre.

Getting into and out of the vehicle is a concern as well as the comfort of the seats. Simple things like having handles over the doors to make it easier to pull yourself up could make a big difference.

• Scott Price

April 15, 2022 at 3:07 pm

In case you haven’t seen it already, here is a new helpful video by Steve at Aptera Owner’s Club out today that shows his observations about seat entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQD8ClJygVg. He does not address comfort, though. Aptera does not appear to allow any non-employees to directly drive the current prototypes (understandable for safety and liability reasons).

• Richard Mitchell

April 15, 2022 at 4:26 pm

Thanks for the link Scott. I can certainly understand that there are no test drives available yet. It would be nice to just sit in one and to go down to see one up close and personal. I do think that having the overhead doors that are inset somewhat towards the centerline of the vehicle should make it possible to sit down without first banging your head (which is a problem with other low-profile cars that have side-opening doors). The suggestion of having a handle above the door is a good one though to grab on to for an assist.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

April 15, 2022 at 3:41 pm

My wife has considerable amount of metal parts and this looks so much easier to get in than our present vehicles. Myself with my aorta damage, this is how I get in and out already, so this would be perfect for me. I’m very excited for this vehicle to come out and if you pardon me for saying so I am chomping at the bit.

• Gary Greenway

April 15, 2022 at 4:11 pm

I wonder about the seat height off the floor. It looks like the alphas and betas require legs straight out in front of the occupants.

• Richard Mitchell

April 15, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Gary – that is probably my number one concern with the seating. It may not really be that close to the floor, and there may be some vertical adjustability (I’m just 5’8″ so I could easily raise a seat up a few inches to gain some comfort – and for us old fogies (I’m 68) – it would be more comfortable than having legs straight out in front – of course, perhaps I should work on flexibility!).

I hope we get some more info on these issues. Like I said, at 68, many of the features of the Aptera seem like they would be ideal for an older couple that wanted to do some traveling without burning fossil fuel to do so. I’ve gotten to the point I even feel guilty driving a 50 mpg hybrid, but don’t particularly want to buy into a (less efficient) Tesla. The appeal of being able to charge – adding miles faster – with an efficient vehicle, is pretty terrific.

• Scott Price

April 15, 2022 at 4:46 pm

It does appear to be a fairly “go kart” style seating arrangement, which may likely place more pressure on the butt with less weight distributed under the thighs for long distance drive comfort. Earlier on, the team said they were lowering seat height to increase headroom plus try to reduce the view blocking effects from the lateral mid-window frames a little bit. I have not heard them mention vertical adjustability, so that may not be in the plans but TBD. The videos have shown forward/aft adjustability of the entire seat plus adjustability of the seat back angle.

• John Malcom

April 15, 2022 at 7:06 pm

At 77 not that flexible. I use the method Steve illustrates in his video and have no difficulty getting in and our of my grandsons lists. I don’t anticipate any issue with the Aptera. In fact probably easier

• Mark Steinback

April 15, 2022 at 7:59 pm

I sat in an alpha model last year. I’m 73 and 6’3″ tall. Getting in and out was not an issue. Headroom was fine and the seats were comfortable. I never closed the doors so I don’t know about visibility. This was an alpha, so the production model is supposed to be even bigger and better.

• kerbe2705

April 15, 2022 at 8:34 pm

We know from the this month’s update video that they are currently working on the ergonomics of the new beta interior by testing a model of said interior.

Most non-SUV or non-crossover EVs have what seems to be very low seating positions: In fact it’s not that the seats are low – it’s that the floor is high to accommodate the battery pack. We can be fairly certain that Aptera’s driving position will be nearly straight-legged and hope that the eventual seat design will provide ample thigh support (hopefully, adjustable!).

• Richard Mitchell

April 15, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Yes, hopefully adjustable thigh support…and I might add, having variable height would be a pretty worthwhile feature to have, whether manual or electric. For those of us who are a bit shorter (man and women!), it could be critical to having a good view over the “nosecone”/dash, as well as to comfortable seating for long drives.

• kerbe2705

April 16, 2022 at 7:44 am

The nose of the Aptera drops away at a very steep angle and the beltline (the bottom of the windows) is already quite low: Seat height adjustment might not be so critical as one might assume.

• Bob Kirchner

April 15, 2022 at 8:52 pm

I’m sixty. This thread is making me feel young.

• Richard Mitchell

April 15, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Only 60? You ARE young!

• Hale Marine

April 16, 2022 at 3:04 pm

LOL 62 here! Haha 😄

• Philip Raymond

April 15, 2022 at 11:37 pm

Once again, we have several posts about the same topic. If you look at the post called “seats”, you’ll see much better info about the seats. Raj did a couple of freeze frame shots from his test drive video that show the manual seat adjustment controls.

• Elzo Stubbe

April 16, 2022 at 11:31 am

See one of Steve’s(Aptera’s Owners Club) latest videos on getting into the Aptera most comfortably.

As I understand it, most people should get in Butt first, legs swing. Getting out the other way around. That way you don’t bump your head against the door and it is much more relaxed and ergonomic for the back…

• Rex Daines

May 9, 2022 at 10:52 am

I am with you. The seats in the videos look uncomfortable. If I am to drive 700 or 1,000 miles, I am more worried about comfort than finding a charging station.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 9, 2022 at 11:00 am

Seats are definitely not final. Alpha and beta are just placeholders. The seating position being very close to the floor likely is production intent so I’ll probably be raising the seats for mine since me and my wife are 5’7″. This might be a good idea for older people under 6 foot. If enough people want this perhaps they can sell us a spacer bracket so everyone doesn’t need to make their own.

• Leonard Nowak

May 9, 2022 at 11:19 am

Each person is different.

Agree…🤞 on what the production intent seat will bring

My skinny wife ( 100+ #) never seems to comfortable in any vehicle be owned. Whereas I have done cross country treks in different vehicles with no real problems

I bought her this silicone honeycomb perforated style cushion ( we don’t use the cover that came with it) Less complaints!

And with our ventilated seats it works fine.

✅ Soft

✅ No color transfer onto seat

✅ Non slip

✅ I haven’t heard of any complaints of being hot….

It is about 1.5” thick and compresses down….based on occupants weight

With Evs in general, for the battery health it is best to charge to approx 80% so..Getting out during your charge or just a break… makes sense.

I trust this orange color will do well with our Aptera’s VIDA interior!

• Gary Greenway

May 9, 2022 at 11:06 am

We cannot compare the comfort of the Alphas or Betas to what the production vehicles will be. We won’t know until they are made. I just want a comfortable seat for road trippin’. I know Aptera wants to keep them light for efficiency, but I’d gladly trade a little off efficiency for comfort. Manual seat adjustments are fine, just give it comfy seats. Hopefully the company does read this forum ( by the amount of spam and response to questions, I have my doubts) and will heed our needs.

• Paul Evans

May 11, 2022 at 9:16 pm

One area of ergonomics I have yet to see discussed is the steering wheel positioning. It would be nice if it has tilt and telescoping adjustments. Based on my autocrossing experience, I’d don’t like the straight arm style of driving. Not enough leverage.

That said, I don’t expect much adjustability and I certainly don’t want any changes or more weight (or wait, either).

• kerbe2705

May 11, 2022 at 10:13 pm

There’s no reason to expect Aptera to NOT have an adjustable steering position.

Aptera has power steering – leverage might not be so much of an issue…

• Andy Tymczyszyn

May 11, 2022 at 10:59 pm

I sat in the Luna Alpha yesterday at UCLA. Getting in and out was only slightly harder than getting into and out of my Corolla. But the seating position is similar to my MR2 or a Miata.

• John Malcom

May 12, 2022 at 2:14 am

Thanks for posting. Nice to have a near real time “One of us” observation. Must have been exciting to see and sit in an alpha. Envious living in FL

• Leonard Nowak

May 12, 2022 at 5:04 am

We all want to try the Beta with the improvements ( with hip to door space and ingress/ egress changes around door ) …as they move to Production choices

I got a ride on their second alpha “ Sol “ ( same Dev Aptera Leno drove )

For ( old) me I thought it was similar or better than my 2006 Honda Civic “ in that regard.

I trust this will be nailed down with the Gamma 🤞, finished out to really appreciate ( As you know the Beta ( mule ) was not finished ( below )

• GLENN ZAJIC

May 12, 2022 at 3:18 pm

Not only ergonomics but font size UI is important for us geezers too!

• Leonard Nowak

May 12, 2022 at 3:32 pm

Hey… I resemble that comment!😉

Viewing 1 - 16 of 16 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now