Europe delivery

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Europe delivery

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Europe delivery

• Europe delivery

John Malcom updated 2 months, 2 weeks ago 15 Members · 25 Posts
  • Fredrik Sandberg

August 10, 2021 at 8:20 am

Hi!

I have a preorder but I live in Sweden. Any news about deliveries to Europe? Can I expect having the car next year?

• Gabriel Kemeny

August 10, 2021 at 3:16 pm

Foreign deliveries are likely to be later than next year.

• Fredrik Sandberg

August 11, 2021 at 9:53 am

Probably. But have they even been allowed to sell the cars in Europe? Are they approved for Europe?

• Bojan Majdandzic

August 13, 2021 at 2:39 am

Well, the good thing is that Aptera still intends to deliver in Europe.

The second topic in FAQ is about delivering in Europe.

• Robert Klasson

August 18, 2021 at 4:09 am

I personally hope they don’t make any compromises in the aerodynamic design for the european market. Hopefully they can find another way, fitting it into one category or another. If there is no vehicle category where it fits in the EU regulations, I would like to believe this is a major oversight which should be corrected on the regulatory side, not circumvented by redesign.

• loswa loswa

August 18, 2021 at 5:06 am

Say goodbye to the idea that Europe will see a 3 wheel Aptera, only as a 4 wheel Aptera.

• Fanfare 100

August 18, 2021 at 12:57 pm

Hej Fred. Aptera said it would deliver anywhere. If you’re in Sweden that likely means an extra month logistically. It would also need to be a narrower Aptera variant for European specs. Aerodynamics would likely not suffer much but it may come at the expense of a little bit of stability, though some of that may also be mitigatable. Let’s see what the engineers come up with. My thoughts are that if your reservation number is anywhere beyond 17000 you’re likely to see your vehicle some time in 2023 if you’re in Europe.

• Titus Meusel

August 18, 2021 at 1:54 pm

I did not feel so excited about a product since I first encountered these unaffordable white Apple Computers through a shop window in the early 90s. Really hope I can own an Aptera in maybe 2023. Living in Hamburg (North Germany) compared to the average European city car it seems to be a fair amount too wide and obviously 50 cm longer than my current elderly Peugeot 206cc. But width (and maybe shade) are my main concerns, especially when you got to drive through roadworks with sometimes very narrow highway lanes. So I hope for a somewhat narrower version. Having no garage or direct power access, rare charging, and outdoor parking can be an advantage for my usecase.

• loswa loswa

August 19, 2021 at 5:56 am

You can own it, but you can’t register it. I’m sure there’s still some room in the Hamburg Car Museum ????

• John Malcom

August 20, 2021 at 5:43 pm

For all European enthusiasts. You can check Chris Anthony’s last Q&A, the one on Investment held on the 19th. He spoke briefly about a European Aptera. Essentially, they have people working on the best conceptual approach to meet volume Aptera deliveries to Europe. However, there are small number exceptions for cars not meeting the European standards. So perhaps some Apteras can slip through, but this is not in any plan. Engineering is now complete for the U.S. Beta version of the Aptera and they are starting the build activity for the Betas.

My opinion only, but with the effort focused on advancing the U.S. prototypes with the goal of end of year production ready, it will be the number one priority for both the development and fledgling production teams.

There is no published target/schedule for other than U.S. production. Around 10,000 give or take a few reservations will be filled first. The order of producing Apteras for delivery are in Chris Anthony’s Q&A from the webinar on the 19th in the forum.

I am sure all of the above is subject to change as a lot of external factors outside of Aptera’s control are in play.

I have faith and trust in the management and engineering team that they will keep their eye on the ball and work diligently and as fast as possible to insure that everyone who wants an Aptera will get one as soon as possible regardless of where they reside.

• loswa loswa

August 24, 2021 at 3:00 pm
  • Jure Pecar

December 1, 2021 at 10:32 am

I found this reddit post which I find very interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ApteraMotors/comments/kk8zbi/for_those_interested_in_aptera_in_europe_this/

The way I read it is that you first have to find an insurance company willing to issue a valid insurance for something like Aptera, before you can even start attacking a local ADAC, at least in Germany. Which makes me think that a first battle that we have to win is with insurance people?

For those interested in Aptera in Europe, this comment was found on Youtube on the Launch Video, and may be of widespread interest from ApteraMotors

• Markus Schmid

December 1, 2021 at 12:20 pm

The answer of Gemany’s Traffic Department cited by the reddit post is really funny (or sad) as it shows that they did not care at all about the question or were not able to understand it. They were referring to the vehicle class L2e (tricycles with auxiliarxy motor, max. 4 kW, max. 45 km/h) whereas the Aptera clearly falls into the category L5e-A:

L5e: Three-wheeled motor vehicle with three symmetrically arranged wheels with a displacement of over 50 cm³ for internal combustion engines, 15 kW for electric drive, top speed more than 45 km/h.

L5e-A: Vehicle designed primarily for the transport of people; (including four-wheeled vehicles with narrow gauge on one axle)

Well, I live in Switzerland, not in Germany (hence not EU), but we adopt many EU regulations so that most vehicle categories (including L5e-A) are the same, or very similar.

Now the good news regarding insurance companies in Europe: it was only yesterday when after 2 working days of waiting I got a provisional quote from my insurance company for what the Aptera is. Third party liability insurance costs 25% of what I pay now for driving an old Ford Focus (weak motor, 55 kW), plus part insurance cover that will remain about the same.

• Rémy Bouchardy

April 7, 2022 at 11:02 am

Hi every one,

I also live in Switzerland and the “major” problem with Aptera to be considered as a three wheels car is its dimension. The maximum width for a tricycle is 2 meters and the maximum length is 4 meters, that means 23cm too wide and 36 cm too long. So until the dimensions are changed, in Switzerland, the Aptera is considered as a normal electric car…

You can find the info here ( https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/1995/4425_4425_4425/fr ) Art.135 ( No english, sorry).

And yes, a smaller version for Europe would be better for our roads and park places. 🙂

• Francis Giroux

April 11, 2022 at 2:21 pm

So, Remy, If Aptera is considered as a normal electric car, what are the dimension limits for normal electric cars?

• Rémy Bouchardy

April 12, 2022 at 4:24 am

For a car, the maximum length is 12 meters and 2.6 meters for the width. 🙂

So Aptera could make a limousine to have a lot of solar panels ! 😄

• Francis Giroux

April 12, 2022 at 4:44 am

So, the problem is not that the Aptera is too big to get into Europe, it is just too big to be a motorcycle in Europe?

If that’s the case, I assume that it can be sold in Europe as long as it meets the safety, emissions, and other requirements of a car. If Aptera is expected to meet those safety requirement of a car in USA even though it is not required to, why can’t it meet those requirement in Europe?

• Rémy Bouchardy

April 14, 2022 at 4:00 am

Yeap, that’s it !

For your second question, I really don’t know how it works. In Europe we are more picky in therm of road security, emissions, etc. than other countries.

• Joshua Rosen

April 12, 2022 at 7:22 am

In the US it’s the number of wheels not the size that determines if something is a car. A car has four wheels or more, less than that it’s a motorcycle. There is legislation in many, but not all, states that created the category of autocycle for three wheeled covered vehicles which changes licensing and helmet requirements. Safety requirements are set at the Federal level and there three wheeled vehicles are treated as motorcycles.

Doesn’t the EU count wheels when determining if something is a car or a motorcycle? Is it really just a matter of size?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Joshua Rosen.
          • Rémy Bouchardy

April 14, 2022 at 4:20 am

We take in count the wheels number, the weight, dimensions and even some times the power and the speed limit to determine the category of a vehicle.

But for a motorcycle it can only have 2 wheels, no more or less. So an Aptera will never be considered as a motorcycle in EU, only a tricycle. 🙂

• Curtis Cibinel

April 12, 2022 at 9:34 am

(this post contains lots of speculation / assumptions – you have been forewarned)
      Shaving that much space would make it a fundamentally different vehicle model.

Other than lobbying for rule changes a simpler option (still not that simple) might be to double up the rear wheel. This would require slight body modifications and a wider suspension so it isn’t trivial but would allow everything else to be the same vehicle; perhaps no AWD option with that much sprung mass. This also assumes the european rules don’t specify a minimum axle width for cars. Aptera would also need to meet all european car safety standards which might be a problem for pedestrian safety rules given the possibility of getting stuck between the wheel pods and body.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now