Expected life of Aptera due to materials

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Expected life of Aptera due to materials

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Expected life of Aptera due to materials

• Expected life of Aptera due to materials

Dan Kerpe updated 3 weeks, 4 days ago 4 Members · 4 Posts
  • Bikram Kashyap

July 13, 2022 at 1:42 pm

Hi

Since Aptera is using composite materials for the body, I cant find any info on how long can I expect the car to last.

I would be grateful if anyone has any information related to that.

• Christopher Barrett

July 13, 2022 at 1:55 pm

Well, it cannot rust, so the body might last more than 100 years. Of course, by that time your batteries will have to be replaced. Tires and maybe a motor, or three, but if you keep it on the road, and avoid any obstacles, it should last a very long time. The compost that is talked about will not fall prey to wind erosion, rain, or anything short of acid. Therefore, the body is more than likely to outlast most humans’ life span.

• John Voules

July 13, 2022 at 2:03 pm

APTERA’s plan was to manufacture a vehicle that you can pass down to generations. Composites will not rust like most body panels of iron based materials that are still the most commonly used by most manufacturers. I am sure that there are engineers on this forum that would be able to go into much greater detail. Copied and pasted from Wikipedia…

A composite material is a material which is produced from two or more constituent materials. These constituent materials have notably dissimilar chemical or physical properties and are merged to create a material with properties unlike the individual elements.A composite material is a material which is produced from two or more constituent materials. These constituent materials have notably dissimilar chemical or physical properties and are merged to create a material with properties unlike the individual elements.

I would expect oxidation of whatever materials they end up using would be negligible. Chris Anthony’s experience in manufacturing using composites for boat building will give APTERA the experience needed to produce vehicles in a similar manner.

I am definitely not worried about longevity based on their choice to use composites.

• Dan Kerpe

July 13, 2022 at 4:18 pm

That’s an easy one. Old composite boats are a nuisance because the hulls don’t die. Some hulls fail because of water intrusion into the core, but that’s primarily balsa cored boats. Aptera won’t be balsa cored, and won’t routinely have holes drilled in it like a boat. Everything else should fail before body does. (This also assumes the car is wrapped, gel-coated, or painted. UV can be hard on epoxy)

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now