External solar cells

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions External solar cells

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions External solar cells

• External solar cells

John Voules updated 2 weeks, 3 days ago 14 Members · 24 Posts
  • Paul Brand

September 7, 2022 at 4:53 pm

I wonder if Aptera would consider building an optional portable solar array in daisy-chainable modules which could be deployed next to parked vehicles (where they can be attached safely) and connected to the rear charge port to allow extended off-grid solar charging capacity.

If the solar cells were similar to the built in cells and the battery management system could sense their presence, this would make the solar-charging capability even better.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

September 7, 2022 at 7:03 pm

If you do a topic search, this subject is heavily covered. Not knowing if it will make the final build, but additional solar panel connector was a hot topic.

• Curtis Cibinel

September 7, 2022 at 7:33 pm

I think Chris commented on this in his interview with Steve from Aptera owners club about 4 months ago (part of his visit – bunch of videos on YouTube). I don’t recall how committal the answer was but I think most people are now expecting an mc4 port. I believe we even know got quoted the potential capacity in the electronics was something like 1200 or 1500w leaving plenty of room for external cells.

• Riley …

September 8, 2022 at 1:48 am

Even if there is no port there will still be a solar charge controller we can tap into with additional panels. The real question is if someone were to use 3,000w worth of panels and tie it into the 1500w charge controller will something fry or just max out its capacity.

• Ray Holan

September 8, 2022 at 6:03 am

Total set of panels putting out 3K kWh would be a rather large array. Typical rigid panel output is rated at 375-410 watts or thereabouts per panel (under ideal lab conditions).

I think most of the members who have posted in this thread are interested in a portable array. Portable, foldable panels are sold in various outputs, but a 200 watt foldable panel (actually several panels folded up) is getting to the top end of the market. Hence, 10 of those for a 2kW capacity would take up a fair amount of space and likely not fit in the back of the Aptera. The real point, as you mentioned Riley, is one would need to be careful about maxing out the Aptera solar charge controller rating.

• Alain Chuzel

September 8, 2022 at 6:09 am

“…is one would need to be careful about maxing out the Aptera solar charge controller rating.” And not just in power. Can’t forget about the specific voltage and current specs.

• Ray Holan

September 8, 2022 at 8:44 am

Right, Alain. Several different thresholds that, once exceeded, release the magic smoke! Rating really means “ratings”;)

• Riley …

September 8, 2022 at 7:27 am

I would prefer to park my aptera out of the sun for most of its life while utilizing its ability to charge with the sun. Throwing 12 rigid panels onto a carport and maximizing solar recharge to never have to use the $0.44 per kwh i pay for electricity. Also avoid all of the excessive costs towards installing a full home solar setup. From the brief reserch ive done on putting too much solar onto a charge controller it would only utilize its max ratings and be fine but knowing my luck things will start smoking.

• Alain Chuzel

September 8, 2022 at 7:38 am

I love it!

Regarding the charge controller, it’ll all be in the specs that, ideally, Aptera will provide.

• John Malcom

September 8, 2022 at 11:36 am

May I suggest working toward a future solution. A few years ago we invested in becoming grid independent with our home solar. We oversized it so we could charge or EVs without paying the increasing utility rates. We ow have two Teslas we charge from home solar (At different times of the day) and are not connected to the utility for any electrical power.

<font face=”inherit”>If you start now with a small system especially with the new government incentives you can </font>gradually<font face=”inherit”> grow until you are independent and your electicity for your home and your EV cost nothing.</font>

<font face=”inherit”>We have another incentive. We live in Florida and are occasionally subject to power failures do to hurricanes. I hate to admit, but we do gloat when the power is out for a few days following a hurricane, everything is on at our house and our neighbors houses are dark.</font>

• Kimberly Wilson

September 9, 2022 at 10:58 am

John Malcom, how much battery backup do you have?

• John Malcom

September 9, 2022 at 12:48 pm

I have a 30kW, 48 volt system. Built up the capacity over time.

• Alain Chuzel

September 11, 2022 at 5:04 pm

Minor correction John. It’s a 30kW-hr pack (energy). It probably has a separate peak power rating as well an it would be in units of kW.

• John Malcom

September 11, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Thanks! Always like hearing from an expert

• Kimberly Wilson

September 11, 2022 at 7:39 pm

So does this battery pack and inverter supply 240 or 120vac, and for how long? I recently installed 11.5kW on the roof (in Orlando) without any batteries, still on grid.

• Georg Matt

September 11, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Chris mentioned yesterday in his presentation at Fully Charged that they plan to offer external panels for camping/charging in remote areas. If memory serves, he said 1 kW.

• Joshua Rosen

September 12, 2022 at 10:57 am

Hope they have a long cord or use a standard connector that would permit the use of an extension cord. I’m getting minimal panels on the car because my driveway is heavily shaded, however if I had a 100 ft cord I would be able to set up some external panels in a sunny spot in my backyard during the summer.

• GLENN ZAJIC

September 12, 2022 at 10:19 am

I was happy to see them lose the chevrons. Always seemed like a lot of extra work for just a few watts. Also a little gimmicky.

• Kimberly Wilson

September 12, 2022 at 2:40 pm

An aesthetic issue, and I’m not one to usually complain, but I agree. Not sure how many watts we get out of six cells, but it is a much cleaner look without them.

• Curtis Cibinel

September 12, 2022 at 2:45 pm

Always seemed vaguely instructional. This way forward.

• Dennis Swaney

September 12, 2022 at 5:31 pm

I actually liked them. It would be nice if they could be made an option or if we could install some cells there. If not, then those areas would be nice locations for decals like this:

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Dennis Swaney.
  • LoveAptera YokeDealbreaker

September 12, 2022 at 6:13 pm

like this!?

• John Voules

September 12, 2022 at 6:25 pm

AWSOME….good for weddings too?

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now