Favorite work shift

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Favorite work shift

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Favorite work shift

• Favorite work shift

• seth feldman

June 28, 2022 at 5:02 pm

<div>I saw a post about aptera’s 10,000 vehicle/year goal, claiming it that was based off 1 shift. Obvious way to triple production is adding 2 more shifts 3 total 24hrs/day 5 days a week. Adding even more efficiency to production would be alternating compressed 12hr shifts 4 days work 3 day weekend/3days work 4 day weekend for 24/7 production output. The biggest drawback is that overtime would have to be figured into everyones salary, which should be easy enough for them to calculate.
    </div><div>

That compressed schedule was always my favorite, and everyone else on it seemed to much prefer it over 5 days every week. Granted they all chose to work that shift, so I’m sure it was a biased result. So assuming pay etc was equal who would choose to work a normal week, and who would choose a compressed schedule with long days.

</div>

• Harry Parker

June 28, 2022 at 7:56 pm

The problem limiting the rampup is not the number of shifts; it’s the number of critical parts they can get that are needed for making more vehicles. Chris said in a webinar they’d ramp up assembly as fast as they could rampup parts delivery. Battery cell and electronic chip delivery speed — that will be the limiting factor.

• John Trotter

June 29, 2022 at 7:19 am

Harry. That’s right. For example, whatever they signed with Elaphe is it. No chance for significant change. Same with batteries. Production integrates a vast dance with movement around the globe and can only be changed with the agreement of all the dancers.

Seth. I have worked enough shift work (making electricity) to believe back shifts are always less popular than a regular day shift. Extended hours, depending on the job, can have the advantage of a shorter work week, but doing careful work at 3am isn’t fun.

• seth feldman

June 29, 2022 at 4:36 pm

Well I guess they’re not going to be able to ramp up and build multiple factories either. Or is each factory only going to operate for an hour a day.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 29, 2022 at 4:44 pm

Glad to see some common sense posting about production!👍

In Aptera’s case relatively easy to hire to staff multiple shifts. Supply agreements are the long pole in the tent for all vehicle manufacturers whether ICE or EV. Tesla has cars sitting on factory lots waiting for one or two parts for their charging system to complete production so they can ship. GM has volts on dealer lots waiting for batteries so they can sell them.

I know, rains on everyone parade, but that is the state of the industry at the moment.

• seth feldman

June 29, 2022 at 4:54 pm

The reason I ask about shifts is more, because they would either need to hire people with a compressed or a standard shift who actually want that shift. I thought in june’s webinar, they announced triple the previously expected production from Elaphe sometime next year. To put all of those motors to use they either would theoretically need more shifts from their first factory, or to spend m/billions more on multiple micro factories which wouldn’t make sense to me until the first one is at max output..

PS..

I find 3am more fun than 6am.

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now