Fender Option

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Fender Option

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Fender Option

• Fender Option

• robert engelhart

April 20, 2022 at 9:34 am

Would love to have a Fender option like the Prowler. I know this will hurt the range exposing the tire, but honestly for my use that would be fine. Range isn’t an issue for us the car will never be driven more than say 30 miles from home, it will be a city commuter fun car. I am sure someone will design a fender aftermarket if and when these come to market.

• Curtis Cibinel

April 20, 2022 at 9:47 am

I cant imagine many people wanting to go that far. Opening the wheels for style reasons would probably only appeal to a very small number of pople. A am also unsure about legalities in different areas of having the wheels that open.

At the end of the day the Aptera is your vehicle and making custom wheel pants would certainly be possible once the original design is fully understood. Right to repair. CAD + 3d printing.

• Jonah Jorgenson

April 20, 2022 at 10:18 am

Correct. Wheels Without some type of fender are not legal in some jurisdictions in the U.S. Only a personal opinion, but an Aptera without the wheel pants looks unappealing. Also I would not want the spray from the front tires during inclement weather on my Aptera, into the front body of the vehicle, nor would cars passing by appreciate it on their vehicles.

• Riley ________________________________

April 22, 2022 at 5:44 am

Style wise the stock wheel pants look better (personal preference) and make sense for long distance or hi speed. That being said I would be very interested in owning a set of simple fenders that I can keep on the car for going to town or any offroad occasions.

• Efrain Goody

April 22, 2022 at 10:26 am

Hi, where did you find that third photo?

• Peter Jorgensen

April 22, 2022 at 11:55 am

I made it in photoshop from a picture of a buddy’s crosstrek and a picture of Noir at the drag strip. Here’s more.

• Efrain Goody

April 22, 2022 at 4:15 pm

Sweet! You have skills, man!

• Russell Fauver

April 20, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Nice! The aptera might look good with Prowler fenders. Some of the guys on this site are pretty creative, maybe one of ’em will photoshop it for us.

• Steven G. Bueche

April 21, 2022 at 12:22 pm

I also would love a prowler type fender wheel on mine as well. It might be a challenge but I think I’d figure out a way to make one from a fiberglass mold or even a heat molded plastic. As the OP stated, mine will never go beyond a 30 mile trip as I am a bit of a minimalist. The Elio had a cool looking early design with those types of fenders. Will it look good? Not sure but maybe with the read of the fender extended and to a point like the current design would be nice. A sort of fender with a boat hull rear (?)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Steven G. Bueche. Reason: Spelling correction
  • Fanfare 100

April 21, 2022 at 5:26 pm

Why not a telescoping wheel skirt that can be manually raised and lowered at will dependent upon which if the owner wishes to take their Aptera off-roading. ;-D

• Curtis Cibinel

April 22, 2022 at 11:50 am

That is a nice solution. A button and a few solonoids per wheel pant. Essentially the factory wheel pant could be butchered for its mounting hardware and the active one added ontop (probably higher above the wheel by default). Seems like a fun project that could be done with minimal materials and a week for those with experience with solidworks (or similar) and programming; hopefully enough room for an extra small wire in the aerodynamic suspension covers. It would definitely be hard to make it not wobble but hopefully not like the alpha wheel pants. Might add some width.

I’m not the best at structural cad or embedded control myself but if I damaged my wheel pants and someone else already had built it (and shared the designs) I could see taking on as a project in a few years.

• Fanfare 100

April 24, 2022 at 1:28 pm

Yup, what comes to mind is kind of like a sleeve within a sleeve that can extend down for more aerodynamics and back up for off-roading. It’d probably not be much of an engineering feat.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

April 21, 2022 at 6:00 pm

Maybe start an aftermarket parts company with the Aptera vehicles in mind.

• Peter Jorgensen

April 22, 2022 at 11:57 am

First item in stock – Bubble doors!

• Scott Price

April 22, 2022 at 12:55 pm

From all our discussion, I see a potential demand among various Aptera customers for Peter’s bubble doors as well as single piece upper windows, round steering wheels that retain yoke button controls, fold-down-flat seat(s), more open design fenders/wheel pants, and lightweight plug-in solar panels (for when parked). The ideas catalog for an aftermarket company grows… 🙂 Then comes James Bond accessories by Q and an external speaker projecting Ferrari V-12 sounds. 😉

• Gary Greenway

April 22, 2022 at 1:18 pm

If an Aptera sounds like a V12 people will look for a V12. Mine will sound like George Jetson’s car and will be instantly noticed.

• Joshua Rosen

April 22, 2022 at 1:38 pm

The car has to come with an external speaker, that’s required for all EVs. What they can’t do is give you custom sounds, Tesla had that capability and the NHTSA had a conniption. However because Aptera is so committed to open sourcing it should be possible for someone to write a hack that allows you to play a custom sound. As long as the code doesn’t come from Aptera the NTHSA will be none the wiser. I want mine to play the theme from The Day The Earth Stood Still.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Joshua Rosen.
        • Scott Price

April 22, 2022 at 2:01 pm

My last sentence (Q accessories and Ferrari V-12 sounds) was of course just joking. I nonetheless really like both Gary’s Jetson’s car and Joshua’s appreciation for a theremin! I think my Aptera will just sound like an Aptera, though perhaps I could pipe in the sound of the Star Trek transporter sound for when I arrive somewhere. Sounds like the aftermarket company opportunity is to provide an easy way for owners to play their own custom mp3 sound file(s) at the touch of a button and on repeat for continuous play. Legality may be a consideration as you point out, but oh whatever… 😉

• Russell Fauver

April 24, 2022 at 10:10 am

If the mp3 files are played in addition to (drowning out?) the required aptera sound then surely the feds wouldn’t mind.

• Curtis Cibinel

April 24, 2022 at 2:20 pm

Cars have to come with an external speaker but I don’t think auto/motorcycles require it.

• Jonah Jorgenson

April 24, 2022 at 2:13 pm

Scott, I am thinking that last statement was written after you were out in the sun too long

• Llewellyn Evans Evans

April 24, 2022 at 4:08 pm

How about adding a set of mounting holes so you can mount the wheel pants in the standard position or the higher off-road position.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now