Four wheeled Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Four wheeled Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Four wheeled Aptera

• Four wheeled Aptera

John Hermann updated 1 month, 1 week ago 8 Members · 14 Posts
  • Vernon Sinnott

August 18, 2022 at 11:15 am

Is it possible to have our deposit to apply to the 4 wheeled version of the Aptera? If so, I would like to be first on that list. I know it would mean a longer wait but technology will also improve over time. May be worth the wait.

• Len Nowak

August 18, 2022 at 11:20 am

info@aptera.us may be a better place to ask

• Steven G. Bueche

August 20, 2022 at 2:05 am

I would ask that they not spend any time on anything other than the current challenge. Let’s get this made and out the door. When they have money, time and reputation they can waste time and resources on fantasy vehicles. Because if they don’t get this done and done right, it’s a pointless endeavor.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 20, 2022 at 7:30 am

Steve, you are on fire today with good suggestions and wisdom. If Aptera is short of capital for production, All resources should be allocated to finishing up Aptera I, releasing into the market, and getting a revenue stream.

• Vernon Sinnott

August 20, 2022 at 10:54 am

I am not suggesting they change include a 4 wheeled version in their current production schedule. In Alberta the Aptera falls under the clasification of motorcycle. I don’t have a motorcycle license. I’m 69 years old and don’t intend on getting one. Best scenario would be for Alberta to add the autocycle classification to their legislation. If it does not, when my time comes to finalize my order, I should have the option of beimg placed on a waiting list for a 4 wheel version, if it is in their future plans. This in no way affects their current plans or yours.

• Joshua Rosen

August 20, 2022 at 8:54 am

The four wheel version is years away. They can’t possibly start working on it until the current version has been in production for a couple of years. First they have to get this one into production, then they have to survive the production ramp up. Look at what’s happening at Rivian and Lucid, both of those companies have produced fantastic vehicles that have met the promises that they made. They’ve also raised billions of dollars, especially Rivian, something Aptera hasn’t done. And they are both hemorrhaging money because they can’t build their vehicles in volume.

Aptera has to be laser focused on the current vehicle, if it doesn’t ship by early next year they’ll be in serious trouble. The company will have to devote the lions share of it’s resources towards ramping up production. The engineering team will have plenty to do refining the current vehicle. There will be lot’s of features that either aren’t there yet or will be in an unrefined state. There will be things that don’t work or which fail too early that will have to be redesigned, until the vehicles have been in the real world for a couple of years they won’t know what will break or what doesn’t work as well as it should.

Once things start to run smoothly they can look at doing variants, but I wouldn’t expect anything for two or three years after the first one ships and it could be longer because they don’t have deep pockets.

• Philip Raymond

August 20, 2022 at 11:07 am

While I totally agree with getting the current 3 wheel version done and successfully scaling production output, I don’t believe adding a 4 wheel version will be as big a task as some are making it out to be. The modular nature of 3 wheeler shouldn’t require much R & D to make it with 4 wheels, compared to what that undertaking would require at a traditional assembly line manufacturer. Many of the 3 wheeler parts could be shared with the 4 wheeler.

• DIRK WRIGHT

August 21, 2022 at 7:09 am

They are not offering that yet.

Personally, I think they would be fools to make one. The only way they can make this car cheaply and have it be so cool is because it’s a three-wheeler. The rules and regulations around 4-wheel cars are astronomically more complex and expensive to implement.

I think they should go in the opposite direction: make a single seat 3-wheel vehicle with tilting that would be cheaper and easier to produce.

• Vernon Sinnott

August 21, 2022 at 7:26 am

The Electramechannica Solo & Nimbus Halo are already out there. They’re just not solar.

• DIRK WRIGHT

August 21, 2022 at 9:30 am

Thanks. The Nimbus One looks like something I’d like to have. I may get it instead of the Aptera. It’s not as cool, but at least it’s available.

I’ve been looking at various 3-wheel EV’s and other trikes for a while now, and while I saw these, I didn’t realize that the Nimbus is available for purchase.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  DIRK WRIGHT.
    • John Hermann

August 21, 2022 at 7:43 am

I don’t understand this bizarre infatuation or fixation with tilt handling. It introduces unnecessary engineering and mechanical complication for what? A negligible handling benefit that would require changing to motorcycle tires in order to achieve without compromising the contact patch of a standard automobile tire? Pretty sure the Elaphe motors are not going to fit any sort of tire that would be suitable for tilt.

Aptera is not designed, and should not be designed, for carving corners at 180mph around Laguna Seca. The steering and tire selection, as designed, will offer more than enough performance envelope for 99.999% of real world use cases.

• DIRK WRIGHT

August 21, 2022 at 9:21 am

Leaning into corners is safer, more efficient, and higher performing than otherwise. As many prototypes have demonstrated, it is not substantially more complicated than a normal suspension.

Contact patch is almost completely a function of normal force and tire pressure. It has nothing to do with tire shape. The normal force is the weight on the axle that is perpendicular with the road surface. Thus, a rounded motorcycle tire and the square car tire have the same contact patch if the tire pressure and normal force are identical.

Further, high speed trains have adopted the concept to improve cornering performance. The concept has been around for over 50 years now.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  DIRK WRIGHT.
        • John Hermann

August 21, 2022 at 9:31 am

Go tilt a motorcycle tire and a car tire and see which has more usable surface in contact with the road and which is designed to do so.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now