front folding seats

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions front folding seats

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions front folding seats

• front folding seats

• Scott Holmes Holmes

April 18, 2022 at 10:01 am

Would it be possible to have the front seats fold flat to extend the thr rear floor all the way to the dash and create a level ‘bed’ across the center consol from passenger door to driver door? I know it would be a dream, but I think of camping with two adults and a pup or two

• This discussion was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Scott Holmes Holmes. Reason: clarification
  • GLENN ZAJIC

April 18, 2022 at 10:07 am

And fitting in a surf board.

• Jonah Jorgenson

April 18, 2022 at 3:49 pm

If it costs more money or more time to integrate then I oppose it. It is not needed and at this point in development cycle, a nice to have that may not be widely requested. If you look at the Beta videos you can see you can get a surf board in the vehicle now. Only relevant to people in CA of FL unless very hardy and like cold sea water.

I live in FL, surf, and can easily do without.

Perhaps an after market mod or a retro fit from Aptera when or if available.

Glen, you live in the state of Washington. I can believe you would go surfing enough to make it practical mod.

• John Malcom

April 18, 2022 at 3:57 pm

Can you have a front seat that folds like that and pass safety tests? seems like there would be a risk the seat would collapse forward in some accidents.

I will leave it up to the engineers as long as it doesn’t increase the cost or stretch the schedule.

• kerbe2705

April 18, 2022 at 4:16 pm

Quite a number of pick-ups, vans and SUVs have fold-flat passenger seats that serve as work surfaces for the driver – providing a great place to put a computer or to lay-out large printed documents. It’s all a question of hinge articulation.

• John Malcom

April 18, 2022 at 4:17 pm

OK didn’t know that. Thanks for the information!

• Vernon Michael Gardner

April 18, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Kerbe, you are correct, but the one thing they all have in common is that those are all considered trucks. As trucks they do not have to pass the safety regulations of Passenger vehicles (Cars). Much more stringent for passenger vehicles (cars) than trucks.

• kerbe2705

April 18, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Aptera isn’t an automobile: Depending upon the state or country, it’s either an autocycle or a motorcycle and, therefore, automotive safety regulations don’t apply – even though Aptera has sworn to achieve and/or exceed them if possible.

The structural engineering involved in developing a higher hinge location shouldn’t shouldn’t be an issue: I’m sure it could be done as safely – or even more safely – than designs that are currently in use.

To your point, though: Since 1999 all light-duty trucks (that’s standard pickups, vans and SUVs) are subject to the SAME federal safety standards as passenger cars.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

April 19, 2022 at 7:29 pm

Kerbe, you are correct about the safety standards. I had been in the automotive industry for nearly four decades and somehow I missed the law change. I did find some interesting things from Consumer Reports on full size trucks and heavy duty trucks that shows they are not as safe for people around them due to visibility issues relating to the fenders, hoods and bed designs. The manufacturers also feel that there’s so much metal they can get away with some interior movement. Full size trucks can truly benefit from more cameras below the driver’s eyesight.

• GLENN ZAJIC

April 20, 2022 at 12:56 pm

Don’t know where that came from. I live in California and have a 12 1/2′ peddle board. I can’t even fit it in the back of my truck without the tailgate down, and then it sticks out a couple feet. I only need it to go in (Aptera) about 9 feet to make it legal. It is not something I would tow, but at a certain speed it might fly!

• Vernon Michael Gardner

April 18, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Scott, the Chrysler PT Cruiser had front seats that would fold flat and rear seats that could be folded flat and with several adjustments, placement and removal options. The rear seats actually had handles on them to carry them away. The PT Cruiser was actually registered as a truck because of the deck behind the front seats. I believe at this time, that having the seats fold flat is a good idea, but would add time to a vehicle that was promised in 2021 and is already running into the 2024 timeline before full production gets underway.

• kerbe2705

April 18, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Aptera’s interior design hasn’t yet been finalized: It would be no problem to design a seat that could fold flat. Remember, Aptera isn’t being designed by one guy who can only do one thing at a time: There are dozens of engineers working on multiple aspects of the vehicle all at the same time.

It won’t be until the Delta development phase that the final design is “locked down” and that’s two phases from now.

• Curtis Cibinel

April 18, 2022 at 10:06 pm

I’d love to see the folding passenger seat for long cargo. Hardly critical but definitely nice to have. This would add complexity since the driver and passenger seats would be substancially different.

• kerbe2705

April 19, 2022 at 11:00 am

There’s no reason for the seats to look different – or for both seats to not fold the same way: Especially for those who order the camping kit, flat-folding seats would vastly increase the floorspace for sleeping!

Automotive seats are already right-left specific because of their adjustment control locations – so this isn’t an issue that would add complexity to the installation process.

• Scott Holmes Holmes

May 4, 2022 at 7:55 pm

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I’m ordering with the camping kit and would love to open the full interior

• la m

April 19, 2022 at 9:40 am

As someone who will almost always be traveling alone a folding seat that makes that ‘work surface’ would be really useful. Like others I don’t want to make any delays in the production.

Maybe, for those that want it, an option to replace a seat at a later date? And it doesn’t have to be both seats, it could just be the passenger seat?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  la m. Reason: additional thought
  • Tim Dean

April 19, 2022 at 11:54 am

It would really be nice if only the passenger seat could fold flat leaving a work surface AND be easily removable (like minivan seats) for bulky items and better weight distribution of driver + heavier cargo. A quick release latch under the seat slider should be easy enough.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Tim Dean.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Tim Dean.
    • Bob Kirchner

April 19, 2022 at 2:54 pm

I wish this forum had a “thumbs up” function.

• GLENN ZAJIC

April 20, 2022 at 12:48 pm

👍

• Christopher Brisbois

April 22, 2022 at 3:04 pm

<div>

👍

</div>not to mention the DIY crowd could fit 10′ 2x4s in the Aptera quite easily this way

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now