Future Aptera Upgrades?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Future Aptera Upgrades?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Future Aptera Upgrades?

• Future Aptera Upgrades?

• Alexander

February 18, 2022 at 7:59 pm

While it is tough to know my future financial situation, I at least have enough to mostly pay off a basic version of an Aptera. Being a pro Right to Repair company is a huge positive in my books, but I was wondering about potential future upgrades that can be done. I am sure many people who got a Tesla in mid 2014 were pissed they missed out on having adaptive cruse control or dual motors, and again in mid 2016 with additional cameras being added around the car for full self driving in the future. Many people felt burned by how Tesla did little for original owners aside from software updates.

I can see a camper tent being added no problem, but I was wondering what, if anything, can be added to an Aptera after buying one. Can more battery modules, solar cells, or a rear motor be added, or is that impractical/impossible after it is assembled? What about the sound system, level 2 self-driving, or updated self-driving capabilities? I hope whatever the team makes for newer models can easily be applied to the original Apteras. I also understand when/why cold business decisions need to be made at the cost of your first customers, as well as the business dangers of the Osborne Effect.

• kerbe2705

February 18, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Although I can’t respond about the other options you’ve mentioned I can tell you that the Ambassadors have been told that the battery packs cannot be upgraded or added-to. My personal opinion is that adding AWD would also be problematic because it would involve installing not only a third motor but the power electronics necessary to control it AND the software necessary to control the power electronics. It was once mentioned in a webinar that there would be similar problems adding additional solar: It isn’t just trading-out the hood or hatch – it’s an entire rewiring and adding of additional componentry and software.

Many of those early Tesla drivers either leased and then upgraded to a newer model when the lease ended or they purchased and then traded-in their cars on a newer model a few years later. This would explain the thriving market in pre-owned Teslas.

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now