Gama A pillar

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Gama A pillar

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Gama A pillar

• Gama A pillar

Joel Smith updated 1 month, 1 week ago 12 Members · 14 Posts
  • Francis Giroux

August 16, 2022 at 4:30 pm

I can’t believe it took me so long to notice and I hope I’m wrong, but on the Gama video and maybe also on the Gama renders, the A pillar looks about twice a wide as the A pillar on the Alphas, 6″ versus 3″. Somebody please tell me I am wrong. I’m not thrill about the bright white interior color on the A pillar of Gama versus the dark or black interior of the A pillar on the Alphas. It seems like it will detract from what’s going on outside.

• Pistonboy Delux

August 16, 2022 at 7:04 pm

I looked at videos for the alpha, beta, and gamma and find it hard to determine. I didn’t find any videos that gave a good view.

• Norman Roberts

August 16, 2022 at 7:18 pm

The A pillar is definitely larger.

• Sam Adams

August 17, 2022 at 5:54 am

This can only mean one thing, they’ve seen crash test results.

• Philip Sandiford

August 17, 2022 at 6:05 am

…or the doors need a stronger mount surface.

• Dennis Swaney

August 17, 2022 at 11:59 am

It’ll also mean larger blind spots to the left & right. I thought the Prius A pillars were bad; these seem worse. However it just may the photo angle. Someone needs to check this out next month.

• Norman Roberts

August 17, 2022 at 4:06 pm

There should be no blind spots with the side cameras

• Bob Kirchner

August 17, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Thick A pillars (those are the pillars between the windscreen and the side windows) will cause blind spots looking forward left and forward right. Rear facing side cameras will do nothing to alleviate this.

• Dennis Swaney

August 17, 2022 at 7:21 pm

Norman, where did you see there will be forward/side facing cameras along with the rear view side cameras? Please post the link(s). Thank you.

• Lane Costilow

August 17, 2022 at 8:58 pm

I thought it was implied by having a safety pilot option.

• Qiang Fu

August 17, 2022 at 6:14 pm

There are a few youtube videos showing the composite shell of last gen (2010?) Aptera tossed around by a forklift. In one scene (link below) the shell was ran into wall by the forklift, and the A-pillar was notably damaged. So I think you may be right that A-pill enlargement could be a result of a crash test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyAYOrLfUsI

• John Malcom

August 17, 2022 at 6:28 pm

Perhaps from the first ICE version of Aptera as pointed out in this thread. But not the current EV version as only the results from testing a production intent vehicle (Delta prototype) are official and require remediation if defective. We are not there yet. Only at gama

• Russell Fauver

August 17, 2022 at 3:11 pm

Maybe they stuffed an airbag in there?

• Joel Smith

August 18, 2022 at 6:05 am

They (Chris in particular) have said repeatedly that the performance modeling software is way better than it used to be. Easy to imagine then that it was modeled crash testing results that might have prompted beefing up the A pillar.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now