Gamma is the keystone to proving the claims.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Gamma is the keystone to proving the claims.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Gamma is the keystone to proving the claims.

• Gamma is the keystone to proving the claims.

• David Marlow

August 1, 2022 at 1:08 am

So Aptera knows they must get the major things right on this one.

Once the claims of range, solar miles of charging /day, acceleration and handling are proven to major reviewers, investors will line up and orders will pour in.

So they must meet or exceed the spec’s with this one.

• Christopher Barrett

August 1, 2022 at 4:18 am

One other important matrix, the crash testing. It’s my hope that they beat the best crash tested vehicle! My gut says, many look upon the three wheels, and see vulnerability. Instead, I see a very strong composite, and agility for accident avoidance, like nothing else on the road. Many folks have bought Volvos, and Saabs for years, based on the crash tests showing that they are good in a crash. If Aptera can match, or exceed that, then minds will be changed about it. No question this is a game changer, but if proven to be extra safe, above other things, this will be a great help for the adoption of the brand.

• Llewellyn Evans

August 1, 2022 at 4:24 am

I agree that Gamma is important for validation before production and for further testing.

It will be interesting to see if funding comes after Gamma.

I am sure Gamma will be an awesome success and reach most if not all of the goals Aptera has set for themselves.

I am a lot more concerned about Aptera getting enough investment capital to reach full scale production. Some news on this would help ease my mind.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 1, 2022 at 6:32 am

Pretty big claim in your post. Not sure the current business environment supports such a rosy outlook.

I do agree they need to make good on their performance claims based on engineering simulations with real world test data. Especially the safety testing

• David Marlow

August 1, 2022 at 9:36 am

Safety testing will wait for the Delta’s if it finds problems, production will be delayed until resolved.

Currently Aptera seem to be hoping for an investing whale. However getting enough great reviews should bring in plenty of sharks. Also after those great reviews would be a good time to go public.

• John Malcom

August 10, 2022 at 4:25 pm

Now is not the time to go public regardless of reviews. It would be difficult to find a sponsor for a traditional EV IPO at this time as the record of performance of EV startups that have IPO’d is dismal. The economy is slowing and may go into recession. The FED continues to raise interest rates at a fierce pace to try to curb the highest inflation in decades. The worst possible time to attempt an IPO. Same for a SPAC

Above Is the reason Aptera is seeking a large investor rather than proceeding with their planned IPO.

The IPO effort will be more productive if Aptera has a revenue stream from sales and the economic climate has improved

• This reply was modified 2 days, 15 hours ago by  John Malcom.
        • This reply was modified 2 days, 15 hours ago by  John Malcom. Reason: Correct spelling
  • George Hughes

August 1, 2022 at 8:20 am

There is a old saying, “Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.”

That is the promise of Aptera and to accomplish that task, they’ve designed the Aptera along first principles of efficiency and safety with an ample dose of performance (3.5 sec 0-60).

As far as safety, the impact of such up-front design can be seen on the rather odd-looking Smart fortwo which has sold over a 1 million units over the last 20 years. (That’s over 50,000/yr.)

While the Aptera fails to provide the ultra-compact length and width of the fortwo, that little bugger is also a two-seater with obviously less utility (carrying capacities), performance (slow v. very fast), and, for my two cents, improved safety.

The ‘amazing’ thing about the fortwo was its comparative crash safety which is based on its passenger compartment crash safety, which, given the vehicles diminutive size, seem almost miraculous. I’m betting the four-part composite monocoque design of the Aptera will surpass the Fortwo by a significant amount. That is not to say that hitting a fixed barrier at 110mph will be a easily survivable, but it should pass the 50-mph barrier crash in a manner that will turn heads (assuming they get the air-bags right.)

The reality is that little old Aptera has made such a leap into the future with its composite construction that eliminates the outrageous number of heavy, stamped steel parts welded together by a long line of robots (recreating the slip-shod process formerly done by autoworkers), increases strength by a factor of 2+ (crush strength and rigidity) with a dramatic decrease in the costs of labor (including robot labor) that more than compensates for the use of modern light-weight, ultra-strong materials.

When Steve and Chris anointed their introductory model “Paradigm” the hit the nail on the head. The Aptera way is that kind of shift largely because they are producing the first optimized composite body and frame. (The Vette is fiberglass bodied but is still built on a steel-framed vehicle with and ICE engine.)

Detroit and the entire auto industry, however, will continue to cling for dear life to the steel-framed and bodied designs they first began using with the Model T Ford.

My interests in Aptera is based on its pioneering of the composite monocoque design that has its roots in formula 1. It is not that car makers don’t know about such design innovations, but the guys who operate the robots and managers and their workers all are still onboard with the obsolete, heavy and essentially weak welded steel model of manufacture because, well, their jobs depend on it.

While Tesla is innovating with its megapress techniques for forming large portions of the frame through high-presssure molten aluminum injection to create front and rear cradles; it has still bought into the steel-bodied car approach.

This is the big decision that most feel is wrong because it is so damned inefficient producing vehicles that are designed under the rubric of planned obsolescence.

This big switch to composite materials (and they will change and evolve and become even stronger with additions like 2DPA-1) the big difference between Aptera and Tesla and everyone else.

Maybe we should call one of the models Seabiscuit 🙂

• David Marlow

August 10, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Sense the only pic’s we have seen so far of Gamma have been of the interior, they must still be working on the solar. It is very important that they get it working meeting there performance spec’s.

At this time they may not have to prove reparability or lifetime spec’s.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 10, 2022 at 4:37 pm

🙁

I only hear the seven stages of grief in your posting.

I feel your pain, I understand your pain. The only fix is Aptera has to prove Gamma is done, inside, outside and all in between. Software and Hardware. When you finally crack is the only variable, would it be ok if Gamma came out next month?

Also, face it, Delta is Gamma made in production equipment rather than an all nighter with the engineers in the garage. If it is anything else, just means more production slippage …

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now