GaN Adoption

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions GaN Adoption

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions GaN Adoption

• GaN Adoption

• Wilson Tsai

February 14, 2022 at 2:16 pm

I started switching out my silicon based phone chargers over to GaN and am constantly amazed at how small and efficient they are. They also produce a lot less waste heat.

Would be great to see Aptera being an early adopter of GaN. Slim chance happening on their first gen vehicles, but at least on their second or third gen ones.

https://www.powerelectronicsnews.com/gan-for-electric-vehicles/

• Joshua Rosen

February 14, 2022 at 2:31 pm

There is a real chance. I suspect that it’s possible to buy GaN inverters, if they are designing their own they would certainly try to us GaN unless the components aren’t available (i.e. supply chain issues).

• John Malcom

February 14, 2022 at 4:54 pm

Engineers routinely survey and evaluate new technologies (Bleeding edge, cutting edge and emerging) during their product update planning. The technology needs to meet a number of criteria to be incorporated into a new design architecture. One of the most important is commodity availability and pricing. The most frequent fail is commodity pricing.

The Aptera engineers have done an amazing job of evaluating and integrating the right technologies into the Aptera and I am sure we can depend on them to continue to do so for all future versions of Aptera

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now