Glare on windshield a concern.. ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Glare on windshield a concern.. ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Glare on windshield a concern.. ?

• Glare on windshield a concern.. ?

• Bryan Carver

April 13, 2022 at 7:05 pm
  • Bryan Carver

April 13, 2022 at 7:12 pm

<div>Here is the video link that is also in the further yoke discussion.</div>

• Tim Dean

April 13, 2022 at 7:28 pm

Yes, you can clearly see the outline of the solar cells reflected on the inside of the windshield. If this appears on the video, it is much more pronounced in person. Very concerning. 😳

Perhaps we can have the solar cells deleted from the dash. I’ve always hated “trash on the dash” for this reason. UNSAFE

• Bryan Carver

April 13, 2022 at 7:40 pm

So you saw the glare in the video after the third turn, into the sun?? It appears more than a reflection off the dash, as if the angle and curve of the windshield in conjunction with the sun is acting like a magnifier..

• Bryan Carver

April 13, 2022 at 7:34 pm

Did you watch the video to the third turn..? When they turn into the sun the glare appears, I cannot associate this with the solar panels. That is another concern..

• Bryan Carver

April 13, 2022 at 7:43 pm

I plan on being in AZ or FL. This will be a serious problem for me..

• kerbe2705

April 13, 2022 at 8:19 pm

Remember that you’re looking at an Alpha prototype, not the final product. You can be certain that, with the number of engineers test-driving the darned things for various reasons, if glare is a problem SOMEONE will have mentioned it to the “body” team.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

April 13, 2022 at 9:23 pm

A simple answer would be to wear polarized glasses. Some manufacturers will tent portions of the windshield or may even use a section that is polarized. In the old days almost all side windows were polarized. It is just more expensive than standard layered glass/polycarbonate. Many windshields are not even glass, they are 7 to 9 layers of assorted plastics and it is easy enough to make one layer polarized.

• Steven G. Bueche

April 14, 2022 at 3:33 am

Given the nature of the solar panel and it’s protective covering there may be a glare issue. If that’s the case I’ll make a custom dash cover to use while driving and remove it while parked and charging. Simply putting a few Velcro tabs in the corners should hold things down. I have a cover and non-reflective screen protector for my M3 center display so this is a no brainer for me.

• Raj Giandeep

April 14, 2022 at 12:21 pm

I would wait until we have production intent vehicle before having any concerns about glare. This is why the Alpha’s are made. To learn & adapt from.

• John Malcom

April 15, 2022 at 7:16 pm

Excellent advice! not just this issue but all concerns. Speculation is most often not accurate. Need to trust engineering to resolve issues on their schedule.

• Richard Mitchell

April 15, 2022 at 2:05 pm

Bryan – Certainly a valid concern, particularly for older drivers whose vision likely is more sensitive to glare issues (both glaucoma and cataracts can increase the difficulty of seeing with glare). Besides glare, just a question/concern about looking obliquely through the front windshield glass and whether it presents any distortion issues.

As an “older” individual, the Aptera is appealing as a perfect retirement vehicle (2 adults + a dog!) with terrific range, efficiency, and low operating costs. The primary concerns I have are around the ergonomics of the design and whether it would be a comfortable for an older person (still reasonably fit older person)…

• Steven G. Bueche

April 17, 2022 at 3:03 am

Richard Mitchell, as many here are of the older set. let’s say 60 and above, glare is an issue. If we have glasses we most likely have the non-glare coatings as well. I think the after market option could be a non reflective film covering like we use for our electronics might be a handy little item. I use one on my M3 for the display.

Maybe Aptera could sell this film/dash covering/car cover as well as other items as options on their merchandise page?

I also have concern for the curved windscreen. If the curve lands within my field of vision I get dizzy. It’s the one reason I can’t drive or ride in an F150. But it also stopped me from buying a Ford so I can’t complain. lol

• Elzo Stubbe

April 17, 2022 at 4:35 am

This very good question, like many other very good questions, should somehow be made easily available to the specific Aptera engineers. Our customer think-tank, in this manner, contributes to awareness of any missed/overlooked issues on their part.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Elzo Stubbe. Reason: adding overlooked
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Elzo Stubbe.
Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now