Graphene wrap

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Graphene wrap

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Graphene wrap

• Graphene wrap

• Ian Collister

January 19, 2022 at 10:03 am

Electrostatic/tribostatic graphene wrap ?

• John Malcom

January 20, 2022 at 5:45 pm

Graphene wrap sometime on a future Aptera perhaps. Not likely in the near term.

However, there is now a graphene/ceramic wrap protectant you can buy and apply easily yourself from Adams. Runs about $100 so a little pricy. I have a neighbor down the street that has an old (1956) Porche 356 which he has restored and wrapped. He loves that car more than his wife I think. He swears by the product. He takes the car to a lot of classic auto shows so it has to look good all of the time. He has won some awards for his restoration.

Asked him about the UV protection. We live in FL where the sun is quite destructive. He says it works well and there is a formulation especially for UV protection. Works on painted surfaces too.

I will use it on my wrapped Aptera when it arrives based on the results he is experiencing on his 356

• Lou Verner

January 21, 2022 at 5:46 am

Thanks for this post, John. Despite my stated misgivings about wraps, they are in no way a deal breaker. Knowing there is a graphene/ceramic UV protectant that can extend the life and beauty of my wrapped Aptera is definitely good to know!

• Ray Holan

January 21, 2022 at 6:50 am

Hi, John. Can you post the name of the product? If it’s good enough for a vintage Porsche, it’s good enough for a modern day Aptera!

• John Malcom

January 21, 2022 at 10:35 am

Ray, forum guidelines prohibit posting product information and advertising. However A search for graphene protective coating and finding a provider who’s name stars with the first letter of the alphabet should get you there

• Scott Price

January 21, 2022 at 7:35 am

Hi John, is his show car garage kept and pampered?

• John Malcom

January 21, 2022 at 10:45 am

He is pretty arrogant about the car. He likes it to be seen so parks it in his driveway when home during the day garages at night to deter theft. He owns a business about 10 miles away. He is semi retired so goes in 3 to 4 times a week and drives it there. Likes to be seen in it on the road so drives around town on short trips.

He does pamper it though. I think a midlife chrisis as his whole life seems to be taken up with that car. The family has three other vehicles to drive.

I actually covet his car!

• Joel Smith

January 21, 2022 at 3:27 pm

My first best guess is that the inclusion of the word “graphene” in the brand name of any currently available vehicle wrap or wrap protectant is just a gimmick. Nothing that I have absorbed from any of the reputable science and technology reporting that I frequently view suggests to me that graphene technology is ready for, or even relevant to vehicle wraps or end user applied protectants.

That being said, I am willing to be convinced that there are valuable, and even superior protectants worth putting on my Aptera when I get it. Hopefully AMC will publish sound recommendations in that regard? Especially important that they consider doing so given the singular wrap (or nothing?) finish option. I will surely be looking to see that roundabout delivery time.

• John Malcom

January 21, 2022 at 5:06 pm

Joel,

I don’t know what resources you use or consider reliable or if you are a chemist.

Graphene alone will not form a coating. Graphene is a one molecue thick non reactive plane. If you think of the model of graphene oxide, the tails sticking up are grafted onto a ceramic molecule. The Ceramic molecule bonds with the cars finish and the graphene portion of the molecule is on top, forming the surface of the coating

“The proof of the pudding is in the eating” don’t just rely on Just the literature, give it a try and see if it works for you. My friend thinks it gives about 7 years of protection.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now