Ground Clearance

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Ground Clearance

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Ground Clearance

• Ground Clearance

• Jon_J

June 21, 2022 at 11:36 am

The gamma render reveal showed the belly of the Aptera notably lower. Will this make the Aptera a low ground clearance (< 6.5 inches) vehicle? Any guess as to what the ground clearance will be? I’m not too worried about the wheel pants as they ride up with the wheels and scraping them will simply be a cosmetic issue. The belly could make some close approaches to speed bumps/humps, though and scraping the aluminum belly pan could perhaps breach the cooling system.

• Leonard Nowak

June 21, 2022 at 11:50 am

Last I heard or saw…

5” at wheel pants which may be about 7” at belly but no hard sheet shared on that yet

• John Trotter

June 21, 2022 at 4:15 pm

I noticed this as well and it made me more certain that “Offroad” is an option I want, although details are missing on what that option really is. My Tesla MYP scraped it’s “belly” at the top of my driveway, even though this was not the lowest flat-road clearance of the car.

• Dennis Swaney

June 21, 2022 at 4:25 pm

Looks like it is less than either my Miata or my Jetta Wagon. Both of them would scrape the driveway pulling in or the street pulling out until I installed Bridjit curb ramps at the bottom of the driveway

• Wayne Nuske Nuske

June 22, 2022 at 4:28 am

I took this photo while in the city one day. This guy was actually stuck over the shallow curb when exiting a hotel. It took a while for him to release himself from his embarrassment. My Aptera will do no such harm to my ego!

PS, Check out his number plate, says it all!

• Llewellyn Evans Evans

June 23, 2022 at 3:04 am

Getting air bogged is embarrassing.

Can’t happen if you only have 3 wheels. 🤓

• James Gatan

June 22, 2022 at 4:59 am

The steep angled dip of my driveway meeting the street gutter, the narrow tall speed bumps at work (and everywhere else) and the concrete stopping blocks are my concerns. So I opted for the ORK and it’s convenience (and peace of mind) it offers. The extra clearance of the front and rear wheel pants also helps to have both easier access to inspecting tires (for punctures, tire wear, etc) and the Schrader tire valve (air adjustments) as well. The extra clearance would definitely help as well, in running over those unavaidable pot holes, esp the middle area of lanes (rear wheel tire..on target). Yeah, I’ll eat the 3% efficiency hit. Besides, with the continuous trickle solar charging (even while SoCal driving), it’ll likely be a wash.

• Dennis Swaney

June 22, 2022 at 8:24 am

James, for your driveway I can recommend the Bridjit.

• James Gatan

June 22, 2022 at 8:52 am

Yes thanks Dennis. I did read your earlier post of the Bridjit. Cost a pretty penny though. A few Benjies less than the OR Kit that I pre ordered (subject to change). I just might get a set.

• Dennis Swaney

June 22, 2022 at 4:47 pm

I also opted for a second center section so my price was higher. But the cost is way less than body repairs a few times a year. One thing I noticed is that after a 10 months use, it has “creeped” almost a foot to the left. However, I’ve had some big delivery trucks going & out, along with the weekly garbage & recycling trucks (though they pretty much miss it), and last week the pre-monsoon street sweeper came through (he tried to not hit it with the brushes).

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now