Has Aptera bet the farm on the Tesla connector?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Has Aptera bet the farm on the Tesla connector?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Has Aptera bet the farm on the Tesla connector?

• Has Aptera bet the farm on the Tesla connector?

kerbe2705 updated 2 weeks, 6 days ago 5 Members · 5 Posts
  • Michael Kahlow

July 18, 2022 at 9:12 am

I understand that a lot of people think that the Tesla connector is superior. It’s certainly smaller, which would make it easier to engineer for a car like the Aptera. I’m not going to argue that point.

But petitioning Congress? How dysfunctional has Congress been lately? Not to mention – how many of you would like the House of Representatives to be setting our technology standards? 🤣🙄 (Not meant to be a partisan political statement. I’m a local elected official myself, and a scientist who’s served on scientific review panels. I can tell you that committees of elected officials aren’t the best forum for making technical decisions.)

The energy expended to “adopt” the Tesla standard makes me wonder if there was some agreement with the ever-mercurial Elon Musk that fell through. Elon gave the OK, Aptera jumped in, and now he’s changed his mind. (Maybe, two years ago, having independent car manufacturers use the Tesla plug might have helped further adoption of that standard. Now, Musk doesn’t want his 250 kW supercharger slots clogged with vehicles that only charge at 50 kW. I wouldn’t.)

Tl;dr: Is Aptera already set with design and pre-production using the Tesla plug, and would redesigning to fit the CCS standard add too much time to the already much-delayed production schedule?

• John Voules

July 18, 2022 at 10:18 am

What ever the choice in the end I will learn to adopt. My hope is that we don’t get a Tesla plug without the ability to charge my vehicle at a Tesla charger. Wouldn’t make any sense for every vehicle to carry an adapter just for making it easier for the company to implement it in its design. But saying all that, I don’t consider it Betting the Farm.

• Joshua Rosen

July 18, 2022 at 10:33 am

A petition to Congress is a feel good measure that will accomplish exactly zero. I signed the petition, why not since it’s going nowhere, mostly because I don’t want to see the government set a standard like the EU did and if they are so inclined I certainly don’t want to see CCS1 to be that standard. Charging standards should be free to evolve as technology advances.

Aptera hasn’t announced a deal with Tesla which is a bad sign, one suspects that Elon has absolutely no interest in licensing the Tesla connector to anyone. Tesla is giving lip service to opening up the Supercharger network so that they can collect the federal subsidies but my suspicion is that it will be limited to adding a CCS1 cable to the V4 Supercharger. It will only go into new locations that are receiving government funds, they won’t retrofit the existing ones and they won’t put them into any locations that they aren’t receiving taxpayer’s money for. Maybe they’ll release an adapter and maybe they won’t. They have an adapter in South Korea which allows Tesla’s to use CCS1 chargers, they’ve had it for a while but they don’t seem to be in a hurry to release it in the US, doubtful if they will be anymore enthusiastic about releasing an adapter for CCS cars to use Superchargers.

Even if they do release an adapter for CCS cars, those cars will still want to use EA where they can. Tesla has moved into the profit making phase of the Supercharger network, it’s no longer a just a cost center. I’m paying 41 cents per KWh at New England Superchargers, EA charges 31 cents per KWh. Supposedly in California the rate is much higher than it is in New England. BTW I’m not complaining about that, if they can turn a profit at Superchargers then they’ll be able to build more Superchargers.

• Joel Smith

July 18, 2022 at 10:56 am

I reckon it is mostly a PR stunt (that is working). I am sure they will make what hay they can out of it. They are not above a bit of hyperbole to get that.

My confidence remains high that they will still deploy the best engineering and use option in the final product and/or update it as seems prudent. Just not that big of a deal in my book.

• kerbe2705

July 18, 2022 at 11:32 am

My thoughts on the matter fall in-line with those expressed in this video: https://youtu.be/dTxzZqPS8LQ

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now