Heat Battery

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Heat Battery

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Heat Battery

• Heat Battery

• Lord Chad Dunham

March 12, 2022 at 12:27 pm

Quite a while ago I heard about a company that is making a heat battery. My interest in them was for domestic water heating. I randomly pulled up their webpage and saw that they are set up for EV Cabin heating/cooling.

I am not anticipating any Aptera changes because of this, but it would an interesting if they could use something like this.

SunAmp

https://sunamp.com/automotive/

• Joel Smith

March 12, 2022 at 1:30 pm

Interesting. If the skin cooling mechanism planned for the Aptera proves problematic in the more extreme charging or other ambient cooling scenarios, maybe something like this could serve as a capacitive buffer? Especially if it is a matter of storing waste heat from charging (and still) and then bleeding it off once you get going. And if you are going there already, integrating it into cabin and/or battery preheating could make good sense too.

Best to keep things simple and just make things work without something like this, but worth keeping in mind in case that proves untenable. All too often, the key to making previously impractical ideas work is technological cheats like this.

• Joshua Vance Vance

March 14, 2022 at 6:02 pm

Very interesting, if only we had an upvote button!

• Llewellyn Evans

March 15, 2022 at 4:43 am

This looks useful for an IC engine where there is a lot of waste heat that is a long way above ambient temperature. Totally awesome with an IC engine in cold climates.

I am not sure how efficient it would be in an EV. If the coolant circuit was hot enough to make this efficient, the batteries would be toast.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now