Aptera scale model

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera scale model

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera scale model

• Aptera scale model

Posted by curtis-cibinel on August 25, 2021 at 9:05 pm

I just finished and released my first version of a high detail model of the aptera (including interior and moving wheels). Eventually I’m hoping to get the doors and hatch functional. This prints as many parts then is assembled / glued together. Windows are meant to be semi rigid clear plastic (ie laminate nothing and use the clear plastic).

Some details are embossed or enhanced so they show up on a print. I’m still physically printing the first run myself so this is very much a beta release. Fdm printers may have challenges unless they print it huge.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5140895

bruce-mengler replied 2 months ago 33 Members · 80 Replies
  • 80 Replies
  • Aptera scale model

bruce-mengler updated 2 months ago 33 Members · 80 Replies
  • Steve

August 25, 2021 at 9:05 pm

While we had the last wesite someone posted some stepp files for the APTERA model to use in a 3D printer does anyone here still have a copy of those i could get from you so I can have some printed for me? Thank you

• steven-haws

September 2, 2021 at 3:19 pm

I would love to have the file as well if that’s possible.

• 3dDweeb

September 4, 2021 at 8:35 am

I was able to get the .stl file from the previous forum prior to it shutting down. This is a 1:43 scale model of what appears to be the Alpha model. This model is 4.5mb in size. I am willing to share this with anyone who wants it, but this current forum will not accept .stl’s for uploading.

Send me a PM at m.me/mrpaulrowe

I am currently printing this in 1:10 scale and want to adapt it into Remote Control.

• BobC

January 23, 2022 at 6:26 pm

Was thinking along similar lines but was concerned about steering and drivetrain complexity. Today I realized there’s no need for the front wheels to pivot: I can drive them separately then use tank-steering.

I’m thinking small 1″ outrunner pancake motors would be just about perfect. May even put Elaphe stickers on them.

• mark-langenhoven

September 5, 2021 at 12:55 pm

If you’re still looking for the STL file, here’s a link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t-tZUtVttiBkzhws88mdi3wXcHVRWYS0/view?usp=drivesdk

• BobC

November 29, 2021 at 1:33 pm

This STL file has several mesh issues. I can fix most of them in Meshmixer, but some gaps/holes need to be sculpted, something beyond my skills (in STL).

I want to optimize the model for larger-scale (~15:1) professional resin printing, which sucks to do with an STL (or any pre-rendered model). The tessellation in this file seems a bit coarse, and may show visible triangles when printed as a large (10-12 inch) model on a commercial/industrial printer.

I could get by with an ultra-fine STL, but a CAD file would be vastly better. Any format will do, but STEP is preferred.

Any hints where to look?

• curtis-cibinel

November 29, 2021 at 3:47 pm

I’ve had very little luck with meshmixer. If you could help me smooth out the bottom/rear area on my model (that has the interior) that would be awesome and I’ll update the posted version. It has made as multiple parts then joined after I tweaked the geometry for beta so the pieces have a seam. If I reimport it to Adobe medium I lose a ton of resolution. My process and tools are great for sculpting not segmenting a multipart CAD style model.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5140895

• V-Pilot

November 11, 2021 at 6:18 pm

Is there anyone printing these? Really neat, wouldn’t ming having one

• curtis-cibinel

November 11, 2021 at 6:45 pm

Yes the giveaway on the fb group is. I’m still working on higher detail versions with the interior/spinning wheels (screens, seats and test prints then I’ll will be posting) . V2 will add door and hatch movement. Life has been busy; 12 hours of work has taken me 3 weeks…

• V-Pilot

November 11, 2021 at 9:01 pm

I thought it was the simple smaller scale. Did you scale it up?

• curtis-cibinel

November 12, 2021 at 10:19 am

I used this model and about 20 marketing photos to sculpt it myself and segment it so wheels can turn etc or it could be printed very large. Windows are slots for clear plastic sheets. I even included cup holders and a little coffee cup. I’m hoping to have some time to work on it today then ill start printing.

This should give some idea but doesn’t include the latest work on the interior, rear body, door and roof (switching repeatedly between sculpting in medium and mesh loses some details). Panels and other details are embossed into the shape – Glowgo will be added.

• curtis-cibinel

November 28, 2021 at 4:02 pm

After problems with my printer (dead screen) I just finished printing and painting my first mini Aptera. To simplify things I changed it to a simple stop/bottom clamshell (vs painting about 16 pieces). My painting skills aren’t great and this was about 3 inches long.

PS: Lol just noticed I forgot to paint the lights / license plate…. Oops

• curtis-cibinel

December 3, 2021 at 7:03 pm

For anyone having download issues with thingiverse the files are now on cult3d. https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/aptera-beta-with-interior-and-moving-parts

• david-tiemeyer

December 28, 2021 at 1:03 pm

I created a 1/20th scale model of Aptera in SolidWorks while waiting for my car to arrive, too. It has some nice surface features delineating windows, doors, hatch and Aptera logos. Does anyone know who to contact over at the Aptera Store about carrying the scale model while people wait for their car to arrive? In the meanwhile, I am donating the *.STEP file to anyone interested in having RoadRunner 3D in Albuquerque print a handsome copy on their multiple jet fusion (MJF) printer.

• Fran

December 29, 2021 at 7:35 pm

How many of you 3-D printer owners are going to produce a model for sale? I’m sure many of us are interested in getting one, for the right price. Small, Medium, Large, detailed, rolling, simple, one color, two tone, etc. doesn’t matter. There is room in this market for all options. What do you say? If you are printing one, why not sell a few? I’d like a black and yellow one that I can print on the side, an ad sign, with a magic marker.

• david-tiemeyer

December 30, 2021 at 4:19 pm

I created this 1/20th scale model of Aptera and had Roadrunner 3D in Albuquerque print it on their MJF machine.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ATr1JZ9ZyW2W1F5X6

You are more than welcome to have them print a copy, just say I sent you.

I have tried to contact the “Aptera Store” manager about offering several sizes, but haven’t found the right contact yet.

Otherwise let me know your email address and I will send you the *.STEP file.

• sven-tubach

June 14, 2022 at 10:34 am

Hi David, i have already a aptera reservation and for the time till i receive “my” aptera i would like to have a model.

Could you please send me a 3d-printer file?

Best regards

Sven

• john-buss

June 19, 2022 at 1:26 pm

THANK YOU! – they really should just publish STL files just for the free marketing because multiple people will model the thing or use a phone scanner on the car when it comes out. I could see people making covers for remote control toys, model planes, helmets, who knows…

• gene-chutka

June 20, 2022 at 1:25 pm

I printed David’s 3D model at home on my FDM printer using the STL file that he uploaded to Thingiverse. Thank’s for sharing your excellent work David!

I made a few minor changes to his original model and re-uploaded as a remix – https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5415623

David’s original model on Thingiverse can be found at – https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5242564

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  Gene Chutka.
      • curtis-cibinel

June 20, 2022 at 1:40 pm

For anyone that wants a model with an interior here is my latest version of the gamma. With FDM it should be viable with a well setup printer and a .25mm nozzle but I use SLA. I am still working on the latest interior updates to the dash, console and door from the webinar. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5409483

• jon-kramer

July 12, 2023 at 3:49 pm

New to printing (less than a week) , but I tried this, and it came out really well.

• Fran

December 30, 2021 at 6:56 pm

Send me a picture and how much it cost you to get it printed at Roadrunner 3D.

hydrogenboost@roadrunner.com

• david-tiemeyer

December 30, 2021 at 8:08 pm

For photos try this shared link instead: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ATr1JZ9ZyW2W1F5X6

Roadrunner 3D quotes for various sizes:

$66.91 for 1/25th scale – length 173mm (6.81″)

$137.06 for 1/20th scale – length 220mm (8.66″)

$268.95 for 1/16th scale – length 275mm (10.83″)

If we can get the Aptera Store to buy in quantity these prices go way down.

• Fran

December 31, 2021 at 8:32 am

Now if they would print a 1/40th scale (4.3″) for under $20 they could sell like hotcakes.

I hope the Aptera store decides to check out all options and offer the best in class affordable model.

• david-tiemeyer

December 31, 2021 at 8:41 am

It WOULD make a great paper weight. I will add the smaller size to the list if I can ever get a hold of someone over at the Aptera Store.

• david-tiemeyer

January 22, 2022 at 10:52 am

I didn’t see this thread until today. I could have saved myself a lot of work building my own 3D model. But, I had nothing but time waiting for my full size vehicle to arrive. Here is the link to the STL and STEP files I built in Solidworks for a 1/25th scale model:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9vr3vm33xgsqr1/Aptera%20Sol.STL?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zo6vtpkn2er506/Aptera%20Model%20v3.STEP?dl=0

Here is the link to several photos of the model:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ATr1JZ9ZyW2W1F5X6

I had this model printed on a mult jet fusion (MJF) HP printer by Roadrunner 3D in Albuquerque with at an 80 micro layer depth. I have given them permission to use my file to make a print for any Aptera customer who wants it. Contact josh.r@roadrunner3d.net

• jon-kramer

July 12, 2023 at 3:48 pm

Josh doesn’t work at Roadrunner anymore, is there another place I can find the file to print myself?

• david-tiemeyer

July 12, 2023 at 4:10 pm

You are welcome to download the Dropbox files listed above, either *.STEP or *.STL. But, I would suggest printing Gene Chutka’s recent models, available on Thingiverse.

• jon-kramer

July 14, 2023 at 6:51 pm

Doh! If I could read, I would be dangerous.

• MadSynth

May 22, 2022 at 11:39 pm

My first Lego Aptera is a bit rough around the edges, and not nearly as aerodynamic as a true 1:1 model would have been. I designed the frame, and my son picked out some interesting door and window choices. Hopefully you can see the basic shape coming together. Robotic driver, I guess, since this model does not yet have seatbelts. Safety first!

• curtis-cibinel

June 12, 2022 at 5:10 pm

I just finished and published the latest version of my model of the Aptera for 3d printing after more hours of work than I would care to admit. It is available on thingiverse (cult3d should sync by tomorrow). This includes the gamma shape announcements and beta render changes. I have also made the process of printing far simpler and made the wheels functional. Unlike official content from Aptera I included the cup holders and inevitable coffee. I am doing my first print now so fair warning issues may still exist. If successful pre-supported files will be provided soon. Designed for printing as 5 or 9 inches long. FDM printers may want to scale up further for best results.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5409483

• david-marlow

June 12, 2022 at 7:24 pm

Would you be willing to sell copies?

What would a fair price be?

• curtis-cibinel

June 12, 2022 at 7:51 pm

5 inch prints take 12 hours(30 min effort) and use about $2.50 of resin; 9 inch versions might be $6 in materials / 2 days (3 prints). I’m planning to print/paint some for Aptera owners club and other YouTubers to share to the community. My prints use a 4k photon mono sla printer and go through 2 seperate IPA cleans and manual cleanup before curing under uv. If someone really wants me to print/ship (with or without painting) I’m willing to discuss. Definitely not trying to make money at this but if something takes me 1+ hours of effort to print/ship I’d expect some compensation for time (painting is more). Once the presupprted are available (once tested in 4-5 days) they could also be sent to any generic online printing service.

5 inch – $12 usd + shipping (likely cheaper with generic printing services)

9 inch – $25 usd + shipping (likely cheaper with generic services)

5 inch painted – $30 + shipping (interior and exterior colors made to order)

9 inch painted – $50 + shipping (interior and exterior colors made to order)

Custom painting outside flat color styles (ie as threads on custom wrap/paint) can be discussed.

Note: I’m a reasonable painter with brush/airbrush but am far from the best. Anything I ship is from Kelowna bc Canada. Im a cloud architect / software developer but all materials I make are open source so anyone can provide the service I am. If someone else wants to paint/print for less I’ve got no intrest in competing.

Note 2: the coffee cup is under a non-commercial license and will be omitted from anything I print for money.

• gene-chutka

September 8, 2022 at 12:07 pm

I’ll be attending the Fully Charged Live event in San Diego on Saturday only. I plan on bringing at least ten 3D printed models of the Aptera Sol along with me (Hot Wheels scale), maybe more if I have time to print them. If you are one of the first ten people to come up to me and say the key words “Solar Mobility”, then you’ll receive a free 3D printed Sol.

No strings attached, just a fun way to share my excitement for this revolutionary new vehicle and also meet some fellow fans. Look for me in the bright green t-shirt that I’ll be wearing as I wander the event. See you there!

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Aptera the company or its affiliates. My apologies in advance to anyone else who happens to be wearing a bright green t-shirt. 🙂

• gene-chutka

September 9, 2022 at 5:14 pm

Looking forward to the day when the Aptera factory floor looks like this!

• chris-hale

September 8, 2022 at 2:05 pm

It would be nice if Aptera sold those on their website. May you can sell them the plans for them to print their own. Or you can sell them yourself. I’d be willing to buy one. 😀

• benjamin-dreidel

September 9, 2022 at 12:24 am

Thank you! I hope to take one of those off your hands!

• curtis-cibinel

September 9, 2022 at 9:35 am

Hopefully with the full release of gamma and end of summer I will find time to update the detailed model. Unfortunately incomplete and rapidly changing details caused rework and made this project a massive timesuck. Hopefully if gamma is relatively close I will release a major update to the model (with interior) later this month.

• curtis-cibinel

December 18, 2022 at 12:16 am

The key detail I am still waiting for worth delta is how the hatch looks for the backend. Once I have that detail I will start putting together a new model. Probably going back to a very basic version of the body and redo integration of each interior element since broken geometry in my working files has caused me to need to lose a lot of resolution to move forward from those files.

• sven-tubach

January 3, 2023 at 12:30 pm

Hi to all of you,

i see a lot of efford you are doing here, do we have a delta model for 3d-Printer in a reasonable size?

Best regards

Sven

• Mike-Mars

January 3, 2023 at 1:07 pm

There are a number of older models on Thingiverse. Just search it for ‘Aptera’ and you will find them. However, nobody has uploaded a Delta version yet (I’d predict that someone will do that sooner or later).

• craig-merrow

January 4, 2023 at 2:25 am

There was a Hot Wheels Aptera on FB the other day. I was excited about ordering one until I realized that it was just CGI. Maybe we could petition Mattel to make some!

• curtis-cibinel

July 12, 2023 at 6:12 pm

Concept was from https://experienceaptera.com/. He did good work and I think it’s one of the brand ambassadors. Would be awesome if made into a product official by hotwheels

Page 1 of 2

or to reply.