Aptera Seat Info

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Seat Info

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Seat Info

• Aptera Seat Info

Dennis Swaney updated 1 day, 15 hours ago 85 Members · 207 Posts
  • Pistonboy Delux

August 14, 2021 at 1:33 pm

In this video at time 15:00, Nathan says they were experimenting with heated and cooled seats.

The idea is that less energy is used to heat and cool the body than cooling the entire vehicle interior.

He commented they had a weird feeling.

Aren’t these common today?

https://youtu.be/A7h-OmwBK68?t=900

• Bruce Jankowitz

August 14, 2021 at 1:33 pm

As an investor and pre-order holder I’m anxiously awaiting production.

One of the key updates I’d like to know about is about the seating. Last I heard about this Aptera was looking to select a tier1 supplier for the seats, but I haven’t heard any news on this. The current pictures have the same units. Is there an update on this that I missed?

• Len Nowak

August 14, 2021 at 2:30 pm

None that I heard Bruce, but Sarah’s latest video talks about upcoming updates. ???? on content including seats

• John Malcom

August 15, 2021 at 4:03 pm

So much impatience! Let’s give the excellent engineers and managers a chance to perform against their internal schedule. They have been very open and consistent about updating Aptera enthusiasts. As pointed out by Sara via Len, updates on main engineering areas are forthcoming. I believe they will let us know as they finalize key features for Beta. Let’s trust them to do that.

And as stated, we have plenty of time to amend our reservations before we commit to delivery

• Bojan Majdandzic

August 15, 2021 at 3:27 am

The front view and side view of pictures coast and codex are not matching. I still don’t know what coast and codex actually look like.

• Raj Giandeep

August 15, 2021 at 4:58 am

I made a quick video about the interior early this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caIoqM-vOqk

Here are the direct link to the interior images.
      Coast: 1, 2
      Codex: 1, 2
      Vida: 1, 2

• V Pilot

April 13, 2022 at 2:34 pm

I LOVE the fabric colors and especially the textures of the Vida interior. The orange accents, not so much.

• John Wiley

August 22, 2021 at 12:10 pm

I think I remember Chris or Steve talking about how the seats could be put in an upright position, yet all of the videos I have seen show the seat in a fairly reclined position. I personally have neck and back issues and do not want to be driving in a reclined position. Of course, the seat can be reclined for entry and exit, then put more upright for driving, but will there be adequate headroom for the 6’ driver that wants to drive in an upright position? Any thoughts on this?

• Gabriel Kemeny

August 22, 2021 at 3:30 pm

Seat controls should be no different that regular manual car seats with a fairly upright position possible.

• John Wiley

August 22, 2021 at 3:37 pm

I’m sure the control will be easy. I’m just wondering what the head room will be in an upright position.

• kerbe2705

August 22, 2021 at 10:31 pm

In believe that, when they talk about interior headroom, they’re talking about measuring from the seat cushion to the roof liner – at a 90° angle to the seat. The alpha prototypes seem to fit someone 6’2″ while the betas are being designed to fit someone 6’8″ tall. But, as not all torsos are the same length (I have long legs but not a long torso and have a friend who is the exact oposite: We are both 6′ tall, but do not see eye-to-eye when seated across from each other.), such descriptions are relative.

• John Wiley

August 23, 2021 at 11:44 am

It’s my recollection that every time they’ve talked about head room for a 6’ 8” person, they’ve never put it in the context of seat position. A 6’ 8” person sitting in a full upright vertical position? I don’t know. Seems unlikely. Given that the seat angle is an important factor in determining head room, I personally don’t think it should be left out of the discussion regarding the available space. You’re right about the varying torso lengths between individuals. Do we know the seat-to-ceiling length? That would be useful information.

• kerbe2705

August 24, 2021 at 6:44 am

If seatback rake is a variable in this measurement, then what’s to stop them from saying an Aptera can easily fit a 10′ tall person? I mean, if you recline the seatback, head room extends into the rear of the vehicle…

• Noah Blumenthal

August 24, 2021 at 3:55 am

The 6’8″ sounds great for me (6’2″). Anyone know if there will be vertical adjustability to the seat? I need to make sure my wife (5’0″) will be able to see over the steering wheel.

• kerbe2705

August 24, 2021 at 6:47 am

They’re achieving the increase by lowering the interior “floor” of the vehicle so, one would hope, this would make seat-height adjustment a possibility.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

August 24, 2021 at 4:43 pm

maybe straightened spine in a more laying down position while looking down road with head tilted to be maximally in line with spine, may help. im guess its a seat position like this that you find uncomfortable ( i use this position so the other one doesnt have to adjust it upward again b/c im that much taller, and saw it emulated in this GordonMurrayAuto t.50. orange seat, there are 2 grey seats left and right of driver):

• John Wiley

August 24, 2021 at 4:59 pm

If I understand you correctly – yes. The more the seat back is tilted toward the rear, the more I have to tilt my head forward to see and the more painful it gets (arthritis). So, I need the seat in a more upright or vertical position, which requires more headroom. Again, a measurement of distance from seat surface (where my butt sits) to the ceiling would help me determine if I have enough clearance.

• Len Nowak

September 15, 2021 at 5:01 am

My wife’s Lincoln MKC has it. It was a weird feeling for my backside but not so much for her’s

I assume she was use to it and I was not.

So like others things “ I will get use to it” and the use of it with with an insulated body (sandwiched foam composite) should be interesting.

No typical blowing fan? Quiet!

Our experience is living in an arid state ( AZ)

Humidity may give a different experience?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Joshua Rosen

September 15, 2021 at 6:21 am

The thing that would make the most difference in winter would be a heated windshield. Windshield fogging is the thing that forces me to turn the heat on. If you are dressed for winter you can be pretty comfortable without heat into the low 20s especially if you have a heated steering wheel and a heated seat. However the windshield fogs up long before you need heat for human comfort. A heated windshield that uses energy just to defog or deice the windshield without wasting it on cabin heat would make a big difference in winter energy use.

The other thing is a heat pump which will be even more important in an Aptera than in other EVs. Aptera’s have small batteries, with the exception of the 1000 mile variant, resistive heating consumes about 100Wh/mile, that will halve the range of an Aptera.

• kerbe2705

September 15, 2021 at 7:58 am

The point is that they’re using a different technology to heat and cool the seats: Peltier modules. All other heated vehicle seats use resistance heating coils and/or forced heated or cooled ventilation via a blower. Sitting on a Peltier module in “cold” mode is rather like sitting on a piece of ice.

• Raj Giandeep

September 15, 2021 at 9:00 am

Been curious about the cooled seats. Never experienced it. Is it a air flow through the seats?

Makes sense from a energy stance. In my ’13 Leaf I often use the heating steering wheel & seats instead of air heater.

side note: aptera faq does say there is a heated steering wheel.

• kerbe2705

September 15, 2021 at 9:58 pm

No, it’s not air-flow. Peltier modules are “solid-state heat pumps”: You run electricity into them and one side gets hot while the other gets cold. Reverse the polarity of the electricity and the heating and cooling changes sides.

So, as I said, sitting on one that’s cooling feels exactly like sitting on a piece of ice.

My Cuisinart Yogurt Maker has one: It keeps the cultured milk at the optimum temperature for bacteria growth for twelve hours and then shifts to “cold” mode and chills the completed yogurt to stop the process. While it’s cooling, the “back” of the module radiates heat – there’s a fan in the yogurt maker that blows the heat out through a vent.

• Joshua Rosen

September 16, 2021 at 8:34 am

How can a Peltier device be used as a seat cooler? How would you vent the heat that it produces. As a seat heater it could be fine, the excess heat would end up in the cabin where you want it in the winter. But as a cooler it can’t work unless you have a means of moving the heat outside of the cabin. If you have air ducts connected to the seat why wouldn’t you just use the cooled air from the AC. Peltier devices are less efficient than compressors, doesn’t make any sense to use them for seat cooling.

• Nazhi Hamdan

November 4, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Any info on seat width and height?

Thank you!

• Curtis Cibinel

November 4, 2021 at 2:12 pm

They did mention a few details but not raw dimensions. The current alpha seats are basically for show and not very comfortable (no lumbar support). The interview with the woman from Transport Evolved discussed this. I think they also said the headrest wouldn’t be adjustable at one point.

• Ray Holan

November 4, 2021 at 4:51 pm

Nazhi, I hope they make the seats comfortable for all of us. I think Volvo makes seats that are above and beyond just about anyone’s so I’d be delighted if they used these as a benchmark for the Aptera seats.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 4, 2021 at 9:09 pm

If they aren’t my solution is something I’m sure most will disagree with : sheep skins. Makes any seat very comfortable but definitely not the slickest look.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

November 5, 2021 at 5:36 am

@Curtis Cibinel Agree on the comfort of them 100%.

• Lou Verner Verner

November 5, 2021 at 5:40 am

Agree with one caveat…for us with “senior” backs, lumbar support critical “must have”. Sheep skins alone can’t compensate for that.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

November 6, 2021 at 7:57 pm

theres always aftermarket cushions and lumbar support. i said aptera should do advertising deal with aftermarket product that enhances the car by advertising their stuff as options in order configurator. they test it for approval and forum can share their experience or find such product. that way, people dont choose another car b/c they werent aware of certain aftermarket fixes, for ex. if standard seats dont help them do they prefer a another car with built in seats better for their wants. tinted dislay HUD can help as less attention shifting, more intutive, spedometer. chargers and hoem batteries, solar roof etc could be a big deal

• Richard Marks

November 7, 2021 at 8:56 am

I’m 6’2″ and weigh 220 lbs. I get fidgety even in good seats. Hope that Aptera goes for good quality highly adjustable seats even if the added weight reduces range some. Won’t do any good to have an efficient vehicle that i can’t drive without pain in the @$$.

• Joshua Rosen

November 7, 2021 at 10:05 am

I hope that they use power seats with profiles for both the driver and the passenger. Tesla does it for the driver only in the 3, there are no profiles for the passenger which sucks. The other thing they need to do is have adjustable seat belt heights. I’m exactly the size of the standard crash test dummy so most things fit me but my girlfriend is only 5’2. Tesla has fixed seat belt anchors which are are real problem for her, the belt cuts across her neck. We dealt with the problem by buying a seat belt clamp that changes the angle of the belt but I really don’t know how that will perform in an accident. My old Volt had a slider on the pillar for the seat belt anchor which worked great, they should do that.

I’d be happy to pay extra for better seats, it’s an option that’s well worth paying for.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 7, 2021 at 10:28 am

I’m quite sure they said they would be manual seats. I think this is mostly about weight / cost savings. Aptera has really focused on cost and efficiency optimization. Hopefully the stock seats will be adequate for most and the right to repair approach will allow for replacement. This wouldn’t address things like automatic profiles but better seats and belt height could be swapped in.

PS: Optional powered seats with profiles would be a good use case for a feature discussed in other threads were “plugin apps” could be added to the infotainment. This feature is in no way confirmed by Aptera and in my opinion would be a future OTA feature added.

• Paul Evans

November 7, 2021 at 3:02 pm

Everything I’ve seen from Aptera personnel points to manual seats, though some manufacturers have managed to build in a lot of manual adjustment features. Case in point was the 2002 Mini Cooper S that had fore, aft, height, and back incline, including seat & back heat and and lumbar adjustments. For entry to the back seats, a push-down lever moved the seat and seatback fully forward. For collision protection, it had seatbelt tensioning and a torso protectection airbag on the outer portion of the seatback. Oh. and it was designed for a 6’8″ person. I was 6’4 and I actually had to move the seat forward three notches to get full clutch and brake depression.

I’d be a very happy camper if the Aptera had similar features but it probably be too heavy.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 8, 2021 at 7:13 am

I hope they’re manual… Powered is a pain when you need to move it much. Expensive too. Maybe they’ll start manual and make it an option down the road.

• Richard Blackwood

November 8, 2021 at 3:40 pm

I currently drive a Subaru Forester and like the seat height. It makes it easy to get in and out of. After a weekend in a lower rental car, I suddenly realized how important entry height is in cars. Any idea of what the seat height is in the Aptera? The ground clearance looks decent, so I assume it’s up there, but does anyone have an actual measurement?

• Harry Parker

November 8, 2021 at 7:03 pm

The designers are still experimenting with the seat design. I expect that to continue throughout beta testing. So no, the seat design, including height and height range is not yet fully defined.

• Peter Dezendorf

November 11, 2021 at 7:13 am

I currently drive an Audi A5 Sportback. That seat height is the lowest my old knees and back can take. I love the idea of the Aptera vehicles, but I need to be able to get in and out.

BTW, the A5 SB is a great car. Strong acceleration and 40 mpg on the highway. If only it was an EV….

• Charles Kaneb

November 8, 2021 at 7:25 pm

The door opening will be very favorable for entry, but center-of-gravity height is very important for stability in a three-wheeler, and with the two occupants making up 20% of the weight of the car, I expect the seats to be as low as is practical. Figure on 4 inches of ground clearance, 4 inches of battery module height, and 2 inches of seat padding under the driver’s bottom, and no higher.

I would expect a height-adjustable seat to be optional.

• kerbe2705

November 8, 2021 at 8:03 pm

The alpha prototypes have 7″ of ground clearance – we’ve heard that the beta design might have slightly less.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 9, 2021 at 7:27 am

I just checked the solid model for the Alpha version:

Belly clearance: 9.66″

Pants clearance: 3.88″

Skirt clearance: 3.85″

On betas I’d expect 7″ belly clearance, 5″ skirt and pants clearance.

On off-road model I’d hope all those numbers are 2″ higher. If not I might look into designing a lift kit.

Beta is grey, Alpha is rainbow/green:

• Cameron McGuinness

November 11, 2021 at 6:21 am

I noticed in 1 of the videos that Sol’s wheel fairings are sporting some scratches.

• Dave Mckenna

November 12, 2021 at 6:47 pm

For what it’s worth, I’ve sat in an alpha and found ingress and egress easier than my Miata. I’m 5′ 11″ and 64 years old.

• kerbe2705

November 12, 2021 at 10:00 pm

Consumer Reports noted that the Forester is one of – if not the best – vehicle sold in the US for ease of entrance and exit for the over-60 crowd.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 15, 2021 at 11:50 am

Yep and it has no door sills either – The floor just stops at the edge of the seat and its straight down to the ground from there. On the outback and crosstrek it comes up a few inches on the side to form a big door sill.

• Ray Holan

November 13, 2021 at 5:36 am

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned in this thread is the configuration of vehicle’s door opening when the door is raised.

In a typical crossover like a Subaru Forester (BTW my wife loves her 2017 Crosstrek), the roof opening starts approximately even with the side of the vehicle. The Aptera’s door opening in cut into the roof by a few inches. So, in effect, the seat “comes out to greet you” more so than the typical vehicle. That plus the seat height plus how tall or wide the driver is should be part of the ease of egress equation.

• Charles Lewis

November 15, 2021 at 11:46 am

Yes the seat height is important. We want it low for the best handling and high for the easiest entry and exit. So adjustable suspension is my preferred solution. Raise it up when going under 5 mph and lower when over 5 mph. Then include the option for free ????

• Peter Jorgensen

November 15, 2021 at 11:52 am

I’d pay extra for air suspension – But the asymmilar front control arm lengths may cause alignment issues… I just want to go up to 12 inches of clearance to deal with rutted roads and rocks. But we can all dream. I think it would be a good aftermarket opportunity. Aptera air suspension kit or lift kit… Looks like they have coilovers on the betas.

• George Hughes

November 15, 2021 at 3:25 pm

I’d actually like for the aftermarket genius who grasps the base potential of this mobility-focused smart machine with an advanced active suspension system that actually anticipates pot holes and provides precise pressure to the road at all times and so rides like it is flying.

I know active suspensions are more expensive but you might get about the same sensation with an active suspension component on the rear wheel, whether it is powered or not. That suggests an acceptable cost that starts out at one-quarter that of a traditional car and solves the fear that avoiding a pot hole with the front wheels just fails if you hit it with the trailing wheel.

And who knows what magic an active suspension might have on handling the additional weight likely to come in a three or four seat version.

I wonder if the relationship with Rousch is such that they may initiate that kind of thing. I suspect the kit to fit an active suspension to the trailing wheel might be a cool aftermarket kit as well.

I hope there are elements in the supplier companies that magnify the efforts of Aptera. Encouraging that kind of innovative thinking falls on all of us.

• GLENN ZAJIC

November 15, 2021 at 4:17 pm

Raising the suspension would give better belly clearance but not effect the wheel pants, probably the part you want to raise the most.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 15, 2021 at 4:55 pm

The wheel covers are 5 inches (7 for the offroad kit) from the ground. They are also very close to the wheels so a change of slope would need to be very sharp. A typical vehicle has several feet of overhand from the wheel to the bumper – the aptera has inches to the edge of the wheel covers.

• Peter Jorgensen

December 8, 2021 at 7:57 am

I don’t actually care much about the wheel pants – I can always cut those shorter or take them off. I’m worried about belly impact with rocks and belly damage. Apparently it is possible to damage the belly if you hit it hard enough – but most likely it wouldn’t plysically damage the battery and would just result in a cooling system rupture and the aptera would be “uncooled” until the belly pan was replaced. I’d rather avoid that though.

• Carl Knapp Knapp

August 15, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Side NOTE: Twenty states require fenders on both front and rear wheels, and three states require fenders only on the rear wheel. I found this out the hard when I removed my rear fender on my motorcycle living out east.

Viewing 1 - 25 of 97 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now