How about 335 HP from a 65 lb. electric motor

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How about 335 HP from a 65 lb. electric motor

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How about 335 HP from a 65 lb. electric motor

• How about 335 HP from a 65 lb. electric motor

Russell Fauver updated 5 months ago 5 Members · 9 Posts
  • Ray Holan

January 31, 2022 at 10:24 am

This would probably have an Aptera doing cartwheels in place! Those peak power and torque figures are only available for 20 seconds, which is common among EV motors. After 20 seconds, the figures drop to 134 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a38940998/koenigsegg-quark-electric-motor/

• Vernon Michael Gardner

January 31, 2022 at 8:46 pm

In the article it is indicated that the power is backed off to reduce heat that is being generated. At high heat levels you would lose power and could cause damage to the motor/s and their electronic controls. I personally like better cooling for the heat generated so I could use the higher power more often. So many factors to play with to keep the heat to an expectable range.

Food for thought: 89 ci displacement engine with a 4 barrel carb. could produce 200-350 hp. 2 rotor Mazda.

• Ray Holan

February 1, 2022 at 12:02 pm

Point taken, Vernon. I used to own an RX-8. Loved the smooth revs and the exhaust note. As you know, it was a fuel thirsty little beast and lacking in the torque department;)

• Vernon Michael Gardner

February 1, 2022 at 5:32 pm

I forgot to mention that is a very interesting article and hope you will continue to post new technologies as you find them.😀

• Russell Fauver

February 2, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Maybe I’ll take 268 HP at 35 pounds if the efficiency is better https://insideevs.com/news/361185/magnax-axial-flux-electric-motor/

• Joshua Rosen

February 1, 2022 at 6:37 am

This shouldn’t be a product yet, it’s no more than a proof of concept. The motors can only put out their peak power for 20 seconds and then they drop back to a fairly modest output. The car is also a hybrid, we are past the point where hybrids are necessary. Either build a full on electric supercar like the RImac or keep building the intricate gasoline cars that they’ve been building because the collectors who buy their cars don’t buy them to drive, they buy them as a collectable, essentially a Franklin Mint plate for billionaires.

Hybrids are used in transitional periods when the upcoming technology isn’t good enough to do the whole job, when you reach the point where the new technology passes the threshold it’s time to drop the hybrid approach. Ships used sails and steam for about 50 years until the triple expansion steam engine and the steam turbines were invented, then the sails were dropped. The transition from piston engines to jets was much faster. There was one operational hybrid plane, the B36 with six turning and four burning, that was known in it’s day as the billion dollar mistake. It was never used in combat because a MIG 15 would have made short work out of it. The B47 came only a couple of years after the B36 and the B52 just a few years after the B47, jet engines just had to get a little bit better then they were when the B36 within a couple of years they were good enough.

The window for hybrid cars has closed, batteries are good enough and cheap enough that there is no longer a reason attach an extraneous motor generator set. From here on batteries are just going to get better.

• Ray Holan

February 1, 2022 at 8:25 am

Thanks for the historical perspective. I concur. I’m all in on EV’s. I’m driving a Hyundai hybrid which is my “transition” vehicle until my Aptera becomes available.

• John Malcom

February 1, 2022 at 11:56 am

Ray, owe you an apology. Did not see this post and posted much the same on the EV Technology channel

• Ray Holan

February 1, 2022 at 12:01 pm

No worries and no apologies needed, John. Hard to keep track of all the nooks and crannies for posts.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now