How did I get here?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How did I get here?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How did I get here?

• How did I get here?

• Stefan Obel

May 14, 2022 at 5:54 am

I thought of myself as someone quite familiar with the EV world.
    I own a TM3LR, have a TMYLR on order (since October 2021 – with delivery hopefully in September 2022).
    I never heard of Aptera until yesterday when I was watching a show on “Curiosity Stream” featuring the two founders and the vehicle development.
    Strange how things come together sometimes.

• Ray Holan

May 14, 2022 at 7:07 am

Yes, the small manufacturer EV landscape has a lot of hidden valleys! Glad you came across Aptera.

• John Young

May 14, 2022 at 7:29 am

Welcome to the party GoSolar! Iā€™m curious what your thoughts are on the Aptera vehicle, approach and community as someone with a fresh perspective. Did you place an order? Invest in the company? Also, what was the name of the show you were watching?

• Stefan Obel

May 15, 2022 at 12:49 pm

I haven’t placed the order just yet.
      I wonder if anyone can create their own referral code or if only those who have already placed an order can refer someone?

As I mentioned in another post if a referral code is supposed to save me $30 on the order “deposit” that didn’t work yesterday and the site still wanted the full $100. Not that I actually care about that $30 on a $40k purchase but it is the principal of proper advertisement and following procedure.

There is quite a lot that I like about the Aptera but there are some things I don’t like at all.

For my intended use as the daily workhorse the vehicle (I am so tempted to say “car” LOL) will be just fine even with some of the limitations (things I don’t like).

The Aptera certainly is a great alternative for the average American who drives less than 50 miles per day. It also makes a perfect 2nd vehicle for the daily errands (like shopping, but not so much to take more than one kid to school).

• kerbe2705

May 14, 2022 at 9:24 am

@GoSolar If you DO decide to place a pre-order, don’t forget to save 30% by using someone’s referral code!

• Stefan Obel

May 15, 2022 at 12:16 pm

If you mean 30% off the $100 – that doesn’t seem to apply anymore since the website still wanted the full $100.
      Or are you suggesting that with a referral code you can save 30% off the full sales price? šŸ™‚

• Dennis Swaney

May 15, 2022 at 1:05 pm

I had a referral code but there wasn’t any place to enter it when I went to place the order. It really doesn’t matter as what you pay down is just deducted from the total price (before taxes) so I would have still had to pay the $30 at the other end.

• Markus Schmid

May 14, 2022 at 12:43 pm

@GoSolar , “Curiosity Stream”? That’s curious, before you mentioned it I did’t even know it existed!

Great to see that also “Tesla folks” are fascinated by Aptera. šŸ‘

My way of getting here was quite different: I had seen and heard of Aptera when it had been at its first iteration more than 10 years ago, had been a bit upset because it was only thought to be available for people in California I think, and then forgot about it. Last year, by coincidence I again stumbled upon Aptera, mntioned in a forum dedicated to electric bicicles… resistance against pre-ordering and investing turned out to be futile! šŸ¤£

• Stefan Obel

May 15, 2022 at 12:37 pm

“Tesla folks”? LOL

I would have ordered a Kia EV6 if it wasn’t for the outrages “markup” dealers charge – $12,000 on a car with an MSRP of $48,000 – and in that case I rather stick with the Model Y.

Tesla currently simply is the best widely available EV.
      Tomorrow our TM3LR is going to be 9 months “old” and today we hit 30,000 miles. And the math for the savings is really simple. The Tesla replaced a 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe that makes 21 miles per gallon. Avg price per gallon regular over the past 9 months was about $4 (probably a little more).
      That is about $5800 in gas for 30k miles plus at least 5 oil changes and not to mention any maintenance the car needs – so we are talking easily $6,000 to keep the car driving for those 30k miles.
      The Tesla so far had ZERO out-of-pocket expenses except the $1,350 in electricity (at 25k miles I did a tire rotation for $40 but that is something I would have to do on any other car as well).
      So my EV saved me $4,650 over 9 months. The icing on the cake is that the car is being used almost exclusively for work and I get 56 cents per mile for using my personal vehicle.
      The EV is a cash cow.

Now you see why the Aptera caught my eye. LOL
      The 600 miles version with all solar, the lane assistance, etc, and the premium sound comes in at just over $40k vs the now $60k+ for a model 3 or Y and they only go about half as far.

I can probably cut the electricity cost in half with the Aptera. Plus the lower purchase price. Makes a really good case to be an even better cash cow LOL

• Steven G. Bueche

May 16, 2022 at 9:57 am

Hi Stefan and welcome to the Aptera Fanboy/Person club. I also own a TM3SR and it only uses on average $24 a month to charge (from the house) so it’s a no brainer for me to see what Aptera claims. With it sitting outside most of the time I don’t see me using any electricity. This means I can afford the more expensive things like Cow, Chicken and Bread . lol

Research the site. It’s full of valuable information. And yes, it’s not the Tesla but for going from point A to point B it’ll do just fine. Oh, and don’t forget about the looks and questions you’ll get. It’ll be equal to your 15 minutes of fame until it becomes common place.

• Russell Fauver

May 16, 2022 at 1:20 pm

Nice cash cow calculations! I’m pretty much in the same boat, travel some for work, drive an EV, claim the tax credit for the miles. I have the added advantage of having solar power at home and have access to free charging at work so I’ve paid $0.00 for fuel in the past 9 years and 80,000 miles. Although my car was built last century it is capable of highway speeds, has regenerative braking, cruise control, air conditioning and gets great mileage at just 190 watt hours per mile. I have considered getting something newer (built this century) but when I look at power consumption of these modern cars I struggle to find one more efficient than mine. Why buy something new if it’s going to use more energy? And, yes, even with free charging I still don’t want to take a step backwards on efficiency. Then along comes the Aptera! I invested in 2020, 2021 and 2022 and have a deposit on a 600 mile version. Love the concept! Hoping they make it to production before my aging EV gives up the ghost.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now