How Quick an APTERA with Teeny/No Battery?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How Quick an APTERA with Teeny/No Battery?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How Quick an APTERA with Teeny/No Battery?

• How Quick an APTERA with Teeny/No Battery?

Guy SKEER updated 5 months, 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 11 Posts
  • Guy SKEER

January 21, 2022 at 9:29 am
  • Guy SKEER

January 21, 2022 at 9:37 am

I would not give up autonomy of internal Battery pack. BUUUT: Would be towtully kewl to drive into a city (maybe arriving with low battery) and drive around, visit/stay then leave with full battery, having not spent any time “cooling my heels” at a charging station!

• Curtis Cibinel

January 22, 2022 at 10:56 am

This concept is about as viable as solar roadways. Standards change and wireless transfer is inefficient. They cant keep roads from having potholes embedding tech everywhere is unrealistic.

Major motorways could benefit from plain old overhead wires for charging shipping trucks (especially with automation) but deploying a more complex and new tech widely just won’t happen.

https://youtu.be/_3P_S7pL7Yg

• GLENN ZAJIC

January 22, 2022 at 11:18 am

The first place we should see this should be at roadside charging stations and not in the streets. So you would just park in a designated spot and the inductive coil would be embedded in the asphalt beneath your vehicle. Less potential damage to chargers and more idiot proof. They will also be making inductive matts for your garage floor. No connections required to car, just park there and it charges. All in the future that awaits us!

• John Malcom

January 22, 2022 at 11:34 am

This is a good idea! More convenient to use potentially greater reliability. They would need to work more on the mechanism for charging though a lot of defects there.

• Ray Holan

January 22, 2022 at 12:19 pm

Hello, Guy. I thought the title you applied to this thread meant it was a discussion of the impact of different size Aptera packs on 0-60 times. My initial reservation was for an Aptera with AWD and the 250 mile pack. My thinking is that this would be the quickest combination. Haven’t seen anything comparing the effect on acceleration when you spec a larger pack. I don’t imagine that data would be available until some customer Apterae are on the road.

• Joshua Rosen

January 22, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Doubtful if it would be the quickest. It will be the lightest but the 25KWh battery will put out the least amount of current. Without knowing what the current limit of each size pack is, the maximum current that the motors can take, and the actual weight of the vehicles it’s not possible to know which version will be the quickest. At some point, after each of the configurations and tested them will have real data.

My gut feeling is that it won’t matter unless you are an astronaut. I have a Model 3 AWD which is almost a second slower then the figure they’ve quoted for the AWD Aptera. If I floor the Model 3 I get dizzy. Even if we assume the “slow” version is no faster than the regular Model 3 AWD most people won’t be unhappy. If they really do hit the 3.5 second mark, which is the Model Y Performance number, that will be fantastic.

• Curtis Cibinel

January 22, 2022 at 11:51 pm

The 250 mile range aptera should have something in the range of 1078 (20KWH) to 1,292 (25KWH) 2170 cells. Assuming the cells can sustain 35 Amps at the rated 3.7 V then my low end estimate would give us 139.6 KW of power (slightly under the 150 KW maximum of all 3 wheel motors) but definitely enough to launch the Aptera quickly.

Real world systems have losses and complexities. Too low of weight could result in less traction and could spin the tires more easily anyway. I wouldn’t expect any AWD aptera variant to be slow off the line but the “400 mile” will definitely provide enough juice to see the maximum output to the motors with only slightly more weight. Unless they do things in software to “equalize” them I think the “400 mile” will probably be the fastest variant but given the number of unknowns this is definitely an assumption.

• Joshua Rosen

January 23, 2022 at 7:22 am

Good analysis. The wild card is the software. If I were them I’d be more concerned with maxing out the battery life rather then the performance of the car so I’d limit the maximum current draw to something less than the maximum possible draw, that could mean that the top speed variant might be the 60KWh version. We won’t know until we know.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

January 22, 2022 at 9:05 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Sonoma race way is just up the street. Awd and 250 mile battery.

• Guy SKEER

January 23, 2022 at 8:17 am

Hello Curtis, et al! My Digging around the Elaphe info sheets for the M700 Motors revealed an “Intermittent Duty” rating of 75KW.

On The Container Cranes I was Maintaining, there was a (Moving Window) Map of Load vs Time where We Could Run Our DC Motors at 250% for Short Periods, before Heat Gain became a Problem. So, Short Accel Times running each Motor at 75 KW power could make for SUDDEN Performance.

Now, to teach Myself some more LINUX! I will be Hoping to snag the First Wrecked One or Two.

Course, for This Old 70 Year Old, it is probably Walter Mitty-esque Misfires of the Few Remaining Neurons in My Noggin! <Grin> But, SOMEBODY’s Gotta Do It!

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now