How to repair in case of crash?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How to repair in case of crash?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How to repair in case of crash?

• How to repair in case of crash?

• Ray L

August 26, 2022 at 5:16 pm

Where and how does one get body work in case of a crash?

• John Malcom

August 26, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Good question. Hopefully Aptera will have that kind of information when they detail their Right to Repair service model. I am not sure I would trust it to a body shop even with very detailed instruction from Aptera on how to accomplish it. I am sure expensive as well with most being totaled by insurance companies as the repair cost may be too high. A lot of that happens to Teslas. The reason my insurance company tells me why my Tesla Model 3 insurance is so high.

• Curtis Cibinel

August 26, 2022 at 11:19 pm

Low speeds should be fairly elastic. I think someone mentioned it would be similar to boat repair but the point the body is a writeoff is likely less than many vehicles. That said if most components are fine it may be relatively cost effective to replace entire body sections and rebuild the vehicle.

• Pistonboy Delux

August 27, 2022 at 12:20 am

Nathan Armstrong said a repair may consist of getting a new fiberglass body and transferring all the components to the new body. He said it would be about a half day job.

• Curtis Cibinel

August 27, 2022 at 1:02 am

Plus rewrappimg said new body (about 2 days if you know what your doing). Despite his estimate is be more inclined to believe its a 1 week job. If you need a new body odds are some other components will also be needed.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 27, 2022 at 7:26 am

Nathan Armstrong also said the Aptera would float. I don’t think a reliable source.

The time/price depends on the amount of damage. I guess, if just a “Ding” you can take it to a boat shop or someplace that specializes in fixing corvettes. If we are buying a new body and moving components from the wrecked vehicle to the new body, that is a week at least at body shop rates and questionable quality of the finished product. I personally would not want a rebuilt title level vehicle back from the repair shop.

In the end the insurance companies will use their risk models to determine the level of damage that is economically repairable and that that will qualify for a “Total” The insurance will probably be expensive, not motor cycle level, and so will repairs as insurance companies will price to insure they are making a margin. The alternative is they will not insure Apterae

• Pistonboy Delux

August 27, 2022 at 9:48 am

Jonah: I think insurance companies will not insure the Aptera or make it astronomically high. There will be few Apteras on the road, thus not financially important to them, and they will think “why bother”.

• John Voules

August 27, 2022 at 10:27 am

The big cost in providing insurance is liability not replacement of vehicle. My 22k motorcycle is $220 per year to insure. My 15k i3 is $1400 yearly. Insurance companies look at what damage you can occur on others. Of course if most repairs end up being full replacement, then yes rates will go up, but not as much as you would think.

• Pistonboy Delux

August 27, 2022 at 9:58 am

I think the biggest problem for Aptera Motors not technical, but rather providing service for repair. We have not heard much from Aptera Motors on this but they need to have something in place because they will be selling in early 2023.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 27, 2022 at 10:32 am

Agreed!

The details of the process should be shared, but more important, Aptera should be well underway to have established the infrastructure for support and be making contract arrangements for resources. Especially important for a new, revolutionary vehicle with first build in the market place.

• Dennis Swaney

August 27, 2022 at 12:38 pm

At the rate they are going, I doubt REAL sales won’t start before the third quarter of 2023.

• Joshua Rosen

August 27, 2022 at 11:27 am

Have they announced a VP for service yet? For the first few months that they ship they’ll mostly be delivering in Southern CA where the factory can act as a service center. After that they need a service strategy. Right to Repair is not a strategy, it’s just a meme, they’ll need a real strategy. It could be rangers, it could be partner garages, it could be service centers. Someone has to figure that out.

• Curtis Cibinel

August 27, 2022 at 12:39 pm

As an investor and based on my experience adding another token VP doesn’t really dictate much about the companies direction. They don’t need to waste money on an expensive VP when basic direction from the coCEOs and competent managers can handle the operational setup of needed details. Right to repair basically is release of documentation and parts but obviously that can’t be done until they are in production. Aptera will not have the same repair networks as tesla or dealer networks day 1. Repair headaches or needing to send the vehicle back to Aptera is a realistic possibility early on since Aptera isn’t a high end supercar from a maker that would fly a tech out to fix your 5 million dollar custom hypercar.

• Joshua Rosen

August 27, 2022 at 1:11 pm

Somebody has to be figuring out how to handle repairs. Shipping the car back to California isn’t realistic, that would cost 4 or 5 thousand dollars and two weeks of time for every repair. In places where Tesla doesn’t have service centers they have mobile rangers do the work. For jobs that require a lift the mobile rangers have arrangements with local garages which allow them to use their equipment. Mobile rangers might be a good strategy.

• Peter Dezendorf

August 27, 2022 at 3:02 pm

I believe the worst damage would another vehicle clipping one of the front wheels. That could do a lot of not so easily fixed damage.

• Michael Kahlow

August 28, 2022 at 8:35 am

I’ve been in three accidents – I was T-boned driving an Acclaim, and have hit two deer with my Prius. I’ve been trying to figure out how an Aptera would have fared.

The T-boning – someone blew through a stop sign, spun me around 270 degrees, almost rolled me. That would have totaled an Aptera, which is 1000 pounds lighter than the Acclaim – figure one of the front wheels taken out by the collision, the second from hitting the snowbank & curb while spinning. Not an Aptera design flaw, just the reality.

For the deer – I live in a part of the country where deer collisions are expected. One collision was a deer that jumped out of the median right in front of me at 75 mph. No chance to brake or react. It nearly totaled the Prius, about $8000 damage. The deer was literally exploded into pieces – on getting out of the car, the first thing I noticed was the smell of deer shit in the radiator mixed with the telltale odor of hot spraying coolant.

For the second, I was able to see the herd of eight deer crossing the road beforehand and slow down to maybe 40 mph before collision with one. That one only cost me $1500 – fender, hood, ripped the side mirror off the car.

I have a hope that the Aptera would give more of a “bounce” or roll to a deer collision than any conventional car. But it would still do some damage to the Aptera.

None of that will change my decision as to whether or not I buy an Aptera, assuming that the car is crash tested and performs properly. Collisions are the luck of the draw. But I will want to know that I can get the car fixed – and how, and who will do the repair – after those minor ones.

At least I don’t have to worry about the cat converter getting cut out (that’s happened three times with the Prius).

• Curtis Cibinel

August 28, 2022 at 9:08 am

Some of the ways Aptera sections would be damaged for the rear, front, and wheel pods are discussed (speculation) in the Aptera Owners Club video. It appears that many mid speed collisions will not damage the main body but instead separate front or rear modules. In the event of a front offset collision a single wheel pod may be effectively sacrificed to minimize main body damage.

https://youtu.be/Bzj-X9jCNJ8?t=231

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 28, 2022 at 12:24 pm

You know, I’ve thought about this, and although the monologue body and construction should provide very good protection for the occupants, If you are hit in such a way that a wheel pod is torn off or badly damaged, the forces are probably very likely to tear the portions of the body that the suspension is attached to and I would think would compromise the mounting points for the suspension, if so, like many a standard vehicle with a bent frame, you might be looking at totaling the body.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now