Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Humorous, illuminating, Anti-EV Article

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Humorous, illuminating, Anti-EV Article

• Humorous, illuminating, Anti-EV Article

Patrick Liebknecht updated 6 months ago 9 Members · 11 Posts
  • Guy SKEER

December 31, 2021 at 5:27 pm
  • Joshua Rosen

December 31, 2021 at 7:15 pm

I wouldn’t call that article humorous, the complaints are real. His home charging problems are of no consequence, his house didn’t have sufficient service, he got that fixed. When I bought my Volt in 2016 my house was limping along on 100A service from a seriously deficient 1960s or earlier panel. I called my electrician and a week later I had a new panel, 200A service, and a 32A EVSE. When I got my Tesla in 2019 I called him again and he added another 240V/60A line and hooked up my 48A Tesla EVSE.

The concerning thing was his experience with the public charging network which is supposed to be better in Europe than in the US. As a Tesla owner charging hasn’t been an issue for me, Superchargers are everywhere and they always work. I have encountered the situation where one or two Superchargers are down but because Supercharger stations always have at least 8 chargers that’s never been a problem, there is always a good charger to use. The Aptera will use CCS so I’m a little concerned. Because it’s range will be so great I’m willing to role the dice, I’m counting on the 600 mile version to deliver at least 400 real miles of range, if it can do that I don’t think I’ll ever have to DC charge. However just in case, what kind of experiences have those of you with CCS cars had. Is it as bad as they say on YouTube or as bad as this article makes it out to be?

• Hans Roes

January 1, 2022 at 12:43 am

It must be said that France has a notoriously bad reputation when it comes to the public fast charging infrastructure. It is improving however. Let us also not forget that while this article was written in 2021, some of the experiences do date back to 2019 and the evolution is going fast in infrastructure.

The big problem I have with articles like this is that they sometimes highlight the wrong issues. Take the author’s home charging issue. Had he been properly informed about what needs to be checked and done, it could have been avoided. The author also could have pointed out that there is a positive evolution in public charging infrastructure as well. But instead he opted to write the article from the point of view of his personal disappointments in a way to inform the public that they should not be buying an EV. An opinion I see with a lot of motoring journalists.

• George Hughes

December 31, 2021 at 10:40 pm

Unlike Mr. Rosen, I found the article particularly humorous in a what the hell did you expect kind of way. Pioneering in anything is, by definition, hard.

It’s British slant, particularly by emphasizing the LG battery issue was funny because as an American, I am so much more influenced by the US media’s inordinate coverage of Tesla battery fires … oh and Bolt fires, that any media piece that didn’t emphasize those was a joy to behold.

In any case, this guy like all of us ’round here are early adopters of tech. I was into PC’s a generation before the C 64 and TRS-80 … which was years before the 8088 and the x86 architecture. Talk about the pains of pioneering, I once had a 10 MB hard drive and I didn’t have any ‘parking’ software to allow me to “park the hard drive” and return from week at home with my folks. I literally arranged for folks to drive 200 miles to bring me a floppy to do that rather than risk the data on the drive. The HD was installed in an IBM luggable with its 9″ screen.

Being on the cutting edge is always hard. Change is also hard and the humor in these articles is found in the damned if you do, damned if you don’t conflict inherent in change.

For a little different take, check the topic here on Aptera: renters’ dream which addresses why the Aptera is thought out well enough to minimize the challenges this guy and other EV pioneers will experience until the infrastructure matures; as it most assuredly will.

BUT …if the infrastructure, for some silly reason like the extremists pull a coup and the sheriff of Nottingham takes all your food and it doesn’t mature, won’t you feel special with your ‘solar’ Aptera in that ‘walking dead’ world.

• Philip Raymond

December 31, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Just a follow up to Joshua’s comment about Aptera CCS charging. I read earlier this week, that Tesla had installed the first CCS chargers at its stations in the U.S.. Where it was, I can’t remember, but this would follow the stated intent of Tesla opening up its charger network to non-Tesla vehicles by implementing CCS chargers.

• Hans Roes

January 1, 2022 at 12:44 am

Still wondering if American Tesla cars will be getting CCS ports this year as well. More commonality for Tesla around different parts of the world.

• Joshua Rosen

January 1, 2022 at 6:54 am

Tesla is offering a CCS adapter this year, that will give Tesla cars the ability to use CCS chargers if they absolutely need to. They won’t switch to CCS connectors on the cars in NA anytime soon. The Tesla plug is vastly superior to CCS and they aren’t going to throw away from their Supercharger advantage by making their cars incompatible with their own network. In Europe they were forced to do it, American regulators don’t operate like that. If there is a CCS3 standard someday that’s as good or better than the Tesla standard then it might happen, but that’s years in the future.

• Llewellyn Evans

December 31, 2021 at 11:48 pm

Yes George, What the hell was he thinking!

• Robert Klasson

January 1, 2022 at 9:32 am

I have very little fast charging experience, since our Zoe only has AC charging. That makes trips of more than 200 miles per day out of the question (or at least very boring). The upside is that there’s no trouble finding a charger, since there are about 10 times the number of AC charges as there are DC chargers, at least here in Europe. I have never had any trouble with broken chargers, since I like to stay up to date, and most charge point operators over here shows charger status in their apps, which I’ve found to be reliable so far.

That’s me. My wife is a completely different story. She just wants it to work without effort, and she has raged out quite a few times due to not having managed to figure out how to start the chargers though the app or whatever method the charge point operator has chosen to pay for charging.

Only Tesla really gets that this is important. I guess the old ICE car manufacturers just don’t want to sell EV’s, or they should have figured out that, at least initially, you need to help out with charging infrastructure, or you’re going to piss off a lot of customers. Sure, it’s expensive, but not if you take the cost of the cars into account. According to Google, Tesla has sold some 2 million cars in total, and installed 29000 supercharger stalls as of Q3 2021. That’s 69 cars per supercharger stall. I don’t know the cost of installing a supercharger stall, but $100.000 I think should be manageable. That’s just $1500 per car.

Ionity on the other hand, only has 1500 stalls, while the backers Volkswagen group and BMW has probably sold about 350 000 electric vehicles total in Europe (hard to find accurate statistics on the internet). That’s about 230 cars per fast charger stall, which is clearly not sufficient. I’ve been monitoring a selection of DC fast charging stations in my area the past months, and at several of the Ionity stations, all stalls are either full or out of operation at peak times, even though they are the most expensive option unless you have discounted rates. As people were traveling home after Christmas, over 70% of the Ionity stalls were occupied. That doesn’t leave much free capacity considering probably 10% were out of operation (didn’t record number of operational stalls). Not really a problem though, since even though Ionity has the most fast charger stalls around here (Tesla excluded) the other charge point operators together has about twice as many fast charger stalls as Ionity, and they are usually only about 25% occupied, though they did reached 38% after Christmas.

• Pistonboy Delux

January 1, 2022 at 8:47 pm

I now give almost credibility to articles. Today, I consider almost all articles to be entertainment disguised as journalism. They are slanted towards being shocking or frightening, because that is what sells.

• Patrick Liebknecht

January 3, 2022 at 1:53 pm

If you are seriously anti EV. You need only 1 argument

China , China controls 85% of the rare earth minerals needed to make EVs

Even the little bit of rare earth minerals we mine here in the USA. Get sent to China to be refined.

Even down to the solar panels and wind turbines , all the 85% of all the money spent goes to China.

That’s all the argument I need to be anti EV

So who does this big push to go green help ?

It’s well known that Hunter Biden helped broker a deal for China to buy a huge cobalt mine.

Also, EV batteries are not recycled , they are shredded and buried in landfills.

So do EVs really save the planet or just make China the richest economy in the world and put the USA under their thumb even more ?

Yes I still plan to purchase my aptera , but only because if I use it as a commuter only I’ll never had to plug it in.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now