HVAC While Parked?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions HVAC While Parked?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions HVAC While Parked?

• HVAC While Parked?

Arlen Bell updated 3 weeks, 5 days ago 9 Members · 10 Posts
  • Boz O’Clown

July 6, 2022 at 3:40 pm

Yes. I understand that A/C is standard. And I am concerned how well it will work. I live in an area where we get a handful of days that tops 100 degrees.

But another question I have for the engineers is will the HVAC system work when the car is parked?

I can foresee days when I go shopping during a hot day and I park my Aptera in the sun for several or more minutes. Well, there will be help from the solar panels, but will the car’s system allow the A/C to keep the car cool while it’s parked? Even if it meant using power from the batteries, I would like to come back to a cool, or at least a significantly less hot, car.

Plus, I can imagine recharging, while on a road trip, would be nicer with the A/C running while parked.

Also, let’s say my car is parked outside on my driveway and in the sun. Will I be able to pull up my app on my phone and have my car start to cool off a few minutes before I leave? Or even warm up the cabin on a cold day?

Just wondering, but that would sure be a nice application to existing systems.

• Curtis Cibinel

July 6, 2022 at 4:02 pm

Sounds like something that can be added as a software update. It is important to be realistic and not expect software feature parity with tesla day 1. It takes a lot of time and man hours to add things. Pet mode, sentry mode and pin to drive hopefully won’t take too long to get added. Things like every possible streaming services / games will take time.

• Arlen Bell

July 6, 2022 at 4:53 pm

My concern is how much heat can the bottom panel radiate if parked in 100° temperature on asphalt with the A/C running. Waiting to see some test results fro Gamma (hope they’ll be testing this).

• Arlen Bell

July 12, 2022 at 12:54 pm

Has anyone seen anything about how air brought in through the exterior windshield vents, through the A/C coil and out the rear vents gets channeled? I presume it will have to pass through a tunnel of sorts to get around the battery pack. My original thought was that the belly radiator for the batteries was going to be shared with the A/C heat exchanger.

• John Trotter

July 6, 2022 at 8:24 pm

In hot air, like the weeks on end we have where I live, AC has to work harder cooling the cabin of a moving vehicle than a stationary one. In gas/diesel vehicles, most of the cooling load is engine cooling, even stationary. BEVs are a whole different deal, and quite simple in comparison. I expect the limiting Aptera case will not be the parked case, even with cabin cooling on.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

July 6, 2022 at 9:25 pm

HVAC AC is run off an electric motor like most newer ICE AC units are now days. So they should only be limited by the software that runs them. And technically can be turned on at any time that you have the battery voltage you need.

• kerbe2705

July 6, 2022 at 9:58 pm

@Boz O’Clown Most EVs and PHEVs have the ability to turn on the cabin heat or AC remotely so that you can precondition the cabin. Many’s the time I’ll be grocery shopping and, as I approach the check-out, I’ll fire-up the AC in the car so that it’s cool when I get into it.

The only way I could leave the AC running when I left my vehicle would be to leave it powered on – but then it won’t allow me to lock the doors…

• Russell Fauver

July 7, 2022 at 10:45 am

@Boz O’Clown, I’m with you on this. How are they going to keep the cabin cool in still air when the aluminum cooling pan is resting just inches above a 115 degree asphalt surface? Not having an external radiator and fan will certainly challenge Aptera’s engineers.

• Steven G. Bueche

July 7, 2022 at 1:34 pm

The M3 has cabin cooling for when you’re away from the car. It allows you to set the tempetures at which you want the interior kept. You do, however, pay a price. If you keep it more than 20 degrees cooler than the outside you’ll lose mileage at a pretty steady rate. The phone App also allows you to vent the windows.

Aptera may have this same feature although they haven’t exactly said. Since these feathers are in Chris’ car (he drives a Tesla) I’d think he would have considered this and added it in as well.

You can always ask anyone at HQ

It would be nice at this stage, with Gamma coming out to say, “These will be the standard features in the first run cars”

• Craig Graber

July 8, 2022 at 12:59 pm

I would prefer a vehicle that is delivered in a timely manner, works reliably, and is durable to one with more bells and whistles. As I look forward to servicing this vehicle myself I am a firm believer in the KISS principle…Keep It Simple Stupid. Once the inevitable bugs are out, then if it has future generations, then consider the whims and wishes of the general public. Just get it right before you ship them out.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now