Extreme weather?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Extreme weather?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Extreme weather?

• Extreme weather?

• Angela Lee

April 26, 2022 at 11:20 am

I just recently ordered mine but I do not see anything on testing the vetches in extreme weather conditions. With how the world is going weather is not gonna get better so what about hydroplaning on the hightway. Light cars tend to lose control more in my opinion and experience and I’m am so worried about bad weather bc it can change so quickly and unexpectedly. Would they put the vehicle though extreme weather testing? I’m

• This discussion was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  bbelcamino.
  • John Young

April 26, 2022 at 11:49 am

Hi Angela, they only have the 4 prototypes right now and no, they have not done any weather testing with them. That will come later in the year, no earlier than November, when they have some pre-production units they can test. However I think it will handle rain and water as well as any modern 2,000 lbs car with appropriate tires.

• LoveAptera YokeDealbreaker

September 25, 2022 at 2:48 pm

I have experienced amazing traction and stability control in my Tesla, so with everything else Aptera is copying from Tesla (the yoke-joke), hoping its electronic stability control is similarly impressive!

• Peter Dezendorf

April 26, 2022 at 2:10 pm

I rode motorcycles for about 20 years (sold my last one in 2019). I rode in all sorts of weather. No problem with losing control in a vehicle weighting about a quarter of an Aptera.

• Preston of Rockville

April 26, 2022 at 2:49 pm

I concur with Peter, been through four bikes over the years. The only one (IMO) scary to ride on a rain-soaked road was my two stroke Yamaha from 30 years back.

• Francis Giroux

April 26, 2022 at 6:52 pm

A couple of us still drive an original version Honda Insight. I drive mine with very little tread (better rolling resistance), in snow, sleet, rain, fog, whatever. A little common sense and adjustment to the conditions and its no problem (slow down). The Honda Insight weighs less that most Aptera models. I’m getting the lightest one (25 kWh battery).

• Ray Holan

August 24, 2022 at 5:25 am

I can confirm your experience, Francis. I’ve had 3 Honda Insights and never had a problem in either rain or snow.

• Jacob Armstrong

April 26, 2022 at 7:13 pm

I don’t have much experience in this area so please take this with a grain of salt, but I’d think that a three-wheeled vehicle would have a reduced hydroplaning risk compared with a four-wheeled vehicle. In a three-wheeled vehicle, the weight is distributed across fewer points so there’s 33% more weight per tire compared with a four-wheeled vehicle. This should help to offset the hydroplaning risks introduced by the Aptera’s lighter weight. But again, I don’t know much about cars and this is all guesswork on my end.

• Rashid Clark

April 28, 2022 at 7:51 pm

I agree, weather testing would be very helpful.

There is some partial information out there. At about the 25-second mark in this video: https://youtu.be/bDMqEmUGxX4?t=24

He mentions that the wheel motors (though not the Aptera) have been tested in mud, snow, ice, and sand.

There was some other video where they mentioned that the vehicle is also aerodynamic from the sides, so that gales blowing in from any direction should be safe on the car.

• Sylver Dibobe

August 21, 2022 at 12:05 pm

I saw a video on how the aerodynamic of the car make windshield wipers not necessary, but what about the rain, rain on the windshield ?

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 21, 2022 at 12:14 pm

Aptera will have a standard wiper (Or 2) mounted at the bottom of the window as on a standard vehicle. (Likely this will also be the ventilation air intake area.)

• John Voules

August 21, 2022 at 12:31 pm

APTERA will come with at least one front wiper…probably 2. Aerodynamics takes affect while the vehicle is moving and would do a good job at clearing your windshield at probably closer to highway speeds. We must remember though that rain isn’t the only thing that hits your windshield. Insects, dirt, snow and whatever else might be out there that may start to accumulate on your windshield, especially when not moving or going at slower speeds.

• DIRK WRIGHT

August 29, 2022 at 8:25 am

Wipers are required by law. It appears from the shape of the Aptera windshield that the wipers will not be able to be hidden under the cowl at the base of the windshield. The law states how much surface area must be covered by the wipers, and to do that would most likely require a large, exposed wiper on the Aptera. This will kill the Cd and it’s ludicrous that Aptera did not include wipers in their CFD simulations.

• Dennis Swaney

August 29, 2022 at 12:03 pm

When were wipers made mandatory for vehicles classified as motorcycles?

September 25, 2022 at 2:51 pm

Now that most states have wisely created a new classification: 3 wheeled auto-cycles, they can draft different and appropriate requirements.

• Owen Harding

August 22, 2022 at 3:31 pm

Good topic to bring up.

I was thinking…. snow ruts/tracks. I know changing lanes in the winter with a 4 wheeled car can be “fun” somethimes, so I wonder how the 3rd wheel in the centre will behave. Hopefully I don’t have to deal with it often, but I am sure it will be semi-regular occurrence in the winter. (worse if you live in Buffalo,NY)😯

• John Voules

August 22, 2022 at 5:07 pm

It was actually brought up last winter. Following the tracks of the vehicle in front of you is great for the fronts but the rear will be being pulled (front drive) through the snow. Front drive is much better than rear drive in the snow, but all wheel drive would be best. My i3 struggles to make lane changes when there is more snow on the road. The front wheels generally slide into the ruts and when the rears catch up, theres sometimes an oversteer correction that needs to be made. Most of the time it’s fun, but it can be scary at highway speeds.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  John Voules.
      • Paul Brand

August 23, 2022 at 4:58 pm

Having driven other cars, trucks, and motorcycles in all kinds of adverse weather including rain, ice and snow (the motorcycle only in rain), the aptera autocycle should do well in most situations. In deep snow, the rear wheel could be a problem as it plows a new track, but in my experience, waiting for the snow plows to clear the deep snow makes for a safer trip and usually may only delay your trip for an hour or two after a big snow. Clearance in the wheel pants in snowy situations where sticky snow accumulates may be more of a concern.

My practice with new (to me) cars and trucks in snowy situations is to get to know the vehicle handling by testing turns, starting, and stopping in a large vacant parking lot after a snow. Then you can gauge how the vehicle will respond to your input and determine how much distance you need for stopping and how long it takes to start from a slippery surface in a controlled environment before you take it out on the open roads.

• Andrew McKeown-Henshall

August 25, 2022 at 6:00 am

I’m reminded of this sketch from the 90’s by Scottish comedian, Billy Connolly 🙈

From about 1m10s

https://m.facebook.com/scotlandfunniest/videos/billy-connolly/551991766022459/

• Kevin Bradbury

August 25, 2022 at 7:24 am

Thanks for video link, it was funny. Especially after I turned on the closed captioning so I could understand what he was saying.😁

• Ola Friis

August 24, 2022 at 5:02 am

This is how it looks for me some weeks every year. Not sunny California really, but more 3 wheeled cars would make a difference. Someone has to lead the way, I guess it will be me in my future Aptera.

Love to hear some first hand experiences, as they come! Any videos from Aptera about this?

Regards from the Nordics.

• Ray Holan

August 24, 2022 at 6:45 am

Ola, Aptera should bump you to the front of the queue in exchange for some real-world Nordic testing!

September 25, 2022 at 2:58 pm

I wouldn’t drive in that picture with less than 4 wheels. Slush is deadly. Keep a backup car until you can buy the 4 wheel Aptera model!

• David Ruest

August 25, 2022 at 3:06 am

I am with you. It will be interesting to see how a little snow affects charge rates and handling here in the Northeast.

• Curtis Cibinel

August 25, 2022 at 9:08 am

I’m less concerned with how Aptera will handle on the road and more concerned about how it will react with snow/ice when parked. If covered with 1+ foot of snow which melts slightly during the day then temperatures drop in the evening will the doors or hinge mechanism handle it. Will opening the door result in snow getting into the interior (hint: snow brush is stored inside the car). In places with frequent light dustings of snow will the solar panels have low power heating loops to clear itself (probably now but thought I’d mention the issue).

• David Ruest

August 25, 2022 at 9:57 am

I expect all these things will take time to learn and figure out, more likely by the communuty, and will become caveats buyers will have to understand and choose to live with or not.

I see the Aptera as a special purpose vehicle designed with specific goals in mind and not as a general purpose do anything vehicle. Each consumer will need to evaluate how that fits into their lifestyle and if they wish to adapt their lifestyle to the vehicle or fit the vehicle into their lifestyle.

I personally would never own one as my only vehicle and being an early adopter in the Northeast fully expect to have to service and repair the vehicle myself, incur downtime, and have limited usability in winter. Additionally anything catastrophic will probably require shipping back to CA for the forseable future, so I factor that into my expectations so that I am sure to have positive experiences and outcomes.

• John Voules

August 25, 2022 at 6:15 am

Hey guys, stop posting winter pictures! I’m trying to enjoy my summer.

• Frank Chandler

August 25, 2022 at 7:01 pm

I would be happy to put an early S/N through its paces in the short days, cold temperatures, and extreme weather variations of Alaska. Just ship it up! Cold weather will be hitting in 8-10 weeks so I recommend putting one on the water headed this way immediately!

I will hook it to my Snapshot insurance app and give you a trip-by-trip record of its behavior.

• Patrick Liebknecht

August 28, 2022 at 3:23 pm

I plan to keep my awd volvo for snow, and rainy days.

The last thing I want is some dingbat sliding into my aptera, I can buy all the parts for my Volvo and repair it in a weekend,and if it’s beyond my abilities the local body shop can put it in a frame machine or do the body work, the aptera I doubt it will be that easy to get what you need and repair what gets crushed, especially if someone takes a tire off the front.

September 25, 2022 at 3:01 pm

Exactly! We call these vehicles “winter beaters” because they should be disposable, and there are always lazy or cheap people that drive with inappropriate tires in winter.

• DIRK WRIGHT

August 29, 2022 at 8:22 am

Water intrusion is a big unresolved issue, obviously. They probably have difficulty finding enough water in California to do a test at all…

From what I can see, there is no weather seal for where the front suspension goes into the body. Water will get into there. Unless there is a drain inside the body to the underside, then water will collect inside the body there and cause problems.

It seems they have a long way to go before their vehicle is even close to being street legal and safe. They have no horn yet, and no windshield wipers either. These are not trivial safety devices but are required by law. Those side view mirrors on Gamma are a joke. Making them easily detachable is probably illegal.

• Curtis Cibinel

August 29, 2022 at 12:14 pm

All cars have easily detachable side mirrors… not sure what specific aspect of the Aptera mirrors you think would be illegal. They are definitely compliance mirrors with the minimum allowed surface area but that is legal.

• Burton Kelly

September 24, 2022 at 8:10 pm

Extreme weather is worth talking about, it can cause a lot of issues like driving safety, and parking to deal with heavy rain and snow and wet issues. For the snowy environment, Bruce shares his views and experiences, the traction control, front wheel drive with new all season tires. For Aptera, he is very confident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5x1k25dm9o

Is storage and wide fluctuations of temperature and humidity an issue esp if not stored in a garage at those times? Generally, in such an environment, the car will cause moisture problems in the car, and even the windows will fog up. Johnson introduced her method is: Put some car moisture absorber bags on the car ( https://cardehumidifiers.com/car-moisture-absorbers/ ), simple and functional.

• Patrick Liebknecht

September 24, 2022 at 8:56 pm

While the aptera is “technically” designed for anywhere in the world, it seems more like its designed specifically for sunny California.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now