I see there is no discussions on extreme weather?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions I see there is no discussions on extreme weather?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions I see there is no discussions on extreme weather?

• I see there is no discussions on extreme weather?

Curtis Cibinel updated 2 months ago 8 Members · 8 Posts
  • Angela Lee

April 26, 2022 at 11:20 am

I just recently ordered mine but I do not see anything on testing the vetches in extreme weather conditions. With how the world is going weather is not gonna get better so what about hydroplaning on the hightway. Light cars tend to lose control more in my opinion and experience and I’m am so worried about bad weather bc it can change so quickly and unexpectedly. Would they put the vehicle though extreme weather testing? I’m

• John Young

April 26, 2022 at 11:49 am

Hi Angela, they only have the 4 prototypes right now and no, they have not done any weather testing with them. That will come later in the year, no earlier than November, when they have some pre-production units they can test. However I think it will handle rain and water as well as any modern 2,000 lbs car with appropriate tires.

• Peter Dezendorf

April 26, 2022 at 2:10 pm

I rode motorcycles for about 20 years (sold my last one in 2019). I rode in all sorts of weather. No problem with losing control in a vehicle weighting about a quarter of an Aptera.

• Preston of Rockville

April 26, 2022 at 2:49 pm

I concur with Peter, been through four bikes over the years. The only one (IMO) scary to ride on a rain-soaked road was my two stroke Yamaha from 30 years back.

• Francis Giroux

April 26, 2022 at 6:52 pm

A couple of us still drive an original version Honda Insight. I drive mine with very little tread (better rolling resistance), in snow, sleet, rain, fog, whatever. A little common sense and adjustment to the conditions and its no problem (slow down). The Honda Insight weighs less that most Aptera models. I’m getting the lightest one (25 kWh battery).

• Jacob Armstrong

April 26, 2022 at 7:13 pm

I don’t have much experience in this area so please take this with a grain of salt, but I’d think that a three-wheeled vehicle would have a reduced hydroplaning risk compared with a four-wheeled vehicle. In a three-wheeled vehicle, the weight is distributed across fewer points so there’s 33% more weight per tire compared with a four-wheeled vehicle. This should help to offset the hydroplaning risks introduced by the Aptera’s lighter weight. But again, I don’t know much about cars and this is all guesswork on my end.

• Rashid Clark

April 28, 2022 at 7:51 pm

I agree, weather testing would be very helpful.

There is some partial information out there. At about the 25-second mark in this video: https://youtu.be/bDMqEmUGxX4?t=24

He mentions that the wheel motors (though not the Aptera) have been tested in mud, snow, ice, and sand.

There was some other video where they mentioned that the vehicle is also aerodynamic from the sides, so that gales blowing in from any direction should be safe on the car.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now