If you want to tow a small trailer

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions If you want to tow a small trailer

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions If you want to tow a small trailer

• If you want to tow a small trailer

• Elzo Stubbe

January 22, 2022 at 10:55 am

I know that the Aptera is not really suitable for towing stuff. But if there would be an after market aptera trailer one day, where would we fit the towing hook?

• Len Nowak

January 22, 2022 at 11:08 am

At one it was mentioned

In this area in the attached “possibily”

Up to a 200# trailer and 200# payload and I am not sure how those numbers are impacted by having the max 500# inside. So old… this may not mean anything.

• Roy Dudley

January 24, 2022 at 8:27 am

Hola, Apterians and Apterianos. I have been an avid bicycle user for everyday transportation for the last 64 years, so being apply to tow a bicycle trailer with an Aptera would be fantastic. This trailer is made in France and because it is only one wheel there will be less resistance. What do you guys think?

• Jan Maarten Fernig

January 24, 2022 at 9:23 am

Great! That is what I think. Would be great to have this extension for some extraordinary occasions. Like moving stuff that really wouldn’t fit inside. Or move some extra stuff when we’d be traveling from the Netherlands to the south of Italy. That’s a small journey of 2.000 km in total, into 3 days of 666,7 km each day. That’s around 414 miles a day.

• Elzo Stubbe

January 25, 2022 at 2:41 pm

Wonderful and very lightweight. Would be my choice also Really!!

• Bojan Majdandzic

February 18, 2022 at 7:24 am

Would be better if the bikes could be put in the length on the trailer with a cover, less air resistance.

• Jacob Bunce

January 24, 2022 at 10:06 am

I would be very concerned about tongue weight. You’ve got an extremely light vehicle with a single rear wheel and a 65/35 weight distribution. It wouldn’t take much to overwhelm the suspension and create stability problems. Could be dangerous.

Towing anything with a single rear wheel vehicle seems ill-advised to me.

• Elzo Stubbe

January 25, 2022 at 2:44 pm

you definitely have a point. What a bummer. I really liked that little bicycle trailer…..

• Curtis Cibinel

January 24, 2022 at 12:24 pm

The single wheel trailer seems like a real unknown how it will behave. Also as a trailer it would need insurance. A light duty trailer hitch would allow for a 3 bike carrier to be attached. These have the benefit of both avoiding the need to insure a trailer and reducing tailgating in my experience (noone wants to hit a vertical pole).

Personally if we get a hitch I will be building or modifying a lightweight trailer for 2 kayak carriers. This should be under 200lb and will let me get my kayaks to the nearby lakes; generally within 20 miles so any efficiency loss on the vehicle is kinda irrelevant.

• Roy Dudley

January 24, 2022 at 1:06 pm

The bike carrier on the hitch, rather than a trailer, sounds like a more viable solution. What kind would you suggest so there is easy access to the trunk. Thank you everyone for your incredibly valuable input. Hopefully I can let you all know why I am so interested in transporting bicycles. ¡Hasta pronto!

• Scott Price

January 24, 2022 at 1:21 pm

Roy, I don’t believe there is any plan to incorporate a trailer hitch on the vehicle from the factory. Since the vehicle has a composite monocoque structure without a standard underlying steel frame to bolt or weld onto, normal aftermarket hitches would not be an option. Also, keep in mind that the upper trailing edge of the Aptera is a good bit higher up in the air than the underside frame-mounted hitches in your photos above, and the lower Aptera body components behind the rear wheel are likely more for aerodynamics than beefy structural attachment points. When there is a will there is a way, though your desired trailer hitch add-on would likely need to be a personally customized solution.

• Curtis Cibinel

January 24, 2022 at 2:14 pm

From the FAQ (pretty hard to have a tow package without a hitch):

Will a tow package be available?

We hope to make a Tow package available at some point in the future. We envision Aptera could tow a small lightweight trailer for camping, maybe even adding some extra solar capability.

• Scott Price

January 24, 2022 at 2:44 pm

Hi Curtis, good point that they are at least recognizing an interest from some people. The FAQ answer sounds “generically aspirational” 🙂 with no specific plans and none have ever been announced that I am aware of for upcoming production. It may be interesting to know if their tow package could be retrofitted for initial designs or if it would require enough structural mods to only be available for future customers when it perhaps gets designed-in from the beginning. So, unknown if it could even apply to any current reservation holders or instead be something years in the future, TBD.

• David Ginty

February 17, 2022 at 2:16 pm

I delayed ordering an Aptera until the towing answer appeared in FAQ.

I have been looking at purchasing an EV for a while. Not many are approved for towing. Tesla Model X, Audi E-Tron and Polestar are the only ones that have a towbar option in Australia. None of these compare to the practicality and efficiency of Aptera in my opinion. My boat, an RS Aero at 80lbs on a 300lb trailer, is pretty well permanently attached to my current car a Skoda Octavia Wagon AWD Scout, the back seats are usually folded down and normally parked outside in the sun. I have been towing sailing dinghies around for over 30 years with a variety of cars. A few towing rules for me are, front wheel drive is not good for towing, rear wheel drive is ok, AWD is great. The tongue weight should be 10% of trailer gross trailer weight. The tongue weight must be subtracted from the vehicles maximum payload. Avoid braking heavily while cornering. (Could be interesting with a single rear wheel, but as Chris Anthony said many 4 wheel cars lift the inside rear wheel during extreme cornering.)

I believe an AWD Aptera should be capable of towing a light trailer. Gosh I have seen motor bikes towing trailers, I have even towed a trailer on my push bike and even Golf Buggys and mobility scooters can be fitted with towbars.

Aptera please tell me you have designed a towbar and a towing option will soon appear on the website.

• Peter Jorgensen

February 17, 2022 at 2:46 pm

An RS Aero is pretty small and shouldn’t be a big deal to tow around occasionally, but I don’t know about all the time. I think the Ioniq 5 and EV6 will have towbars for what it’s worth.

• Rodney Kagy

February 23, 2022 at 9:31 pm
  • Darren Kirk

February 24, 2022 at 10:57 am

I had the same question, I fix old houses, and every once in awhile need to haul some sheetrock or wood (not a lot) but it wouldn’t fit in the vehicle of course. It would be nice to see a hitch setup that could haul about 300-500 pounds or so, and a small trailer could be attached. That way I wouldn’t need a truck or van, or have to pay an outrageous delivery fees. Might be another option to think about!

• James Pace

February 24, 2022 at 5:19 pm

I’m quite sure this question has been answered before, with Chris himself saying a small hitch will be installed. My rack & roll trailer is eagerly awaiting a new tow. It weighs around 85kg empty, and can carry about 100kg.

• Darren Kirk

February 24, 2022 at 5:28 pm

That looks like an Aptera would have no problem towing it! I also have two ebikes that would be easier to tow with a lightweight trailer. I want to go fully green, but it must be realistic vehicle for me. A thousand mile range, solar panels, real a/c and heat, and a tow package, and I’m selling my gasoline dinosaur!

• Joshua Caldwell

February 25, 2022 at 2:30 pm

I seem to recall another company (Nissan?) actually makes a gas engine that their electric vehicles can tow and power the car if the driver intends to drive beyond the battery range.

• Peter Stasinaki

April 3, 2022 at 11:49 am

I was searching for the same question. Their offical answer is in the FAQ page. It doesnt say the specs but it does say it will be able to tow. I cut and pasted the link to FAQ question 52 below.

<google-sheets-html-origin></google-sheets-html-origin>

<google-sheets-html-origin></google-sheets-html-origin><google-sheets-html-origin></google-sheets-html-origin>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Of3g6RYqstbXecs7j2UHHd_b8s5MebxEs-ZwkyMiiQ/edit#gid=1847163171&range=B52

• Scott Price

April 3, 2022 at 4:45 pm

Hi Peter, I personally don’t recommend relying upon that old spreadsheet for definitive answers. It has interesting historical information in it though has not been updated or actively managed for a long time. Aptera appears to have transitioned to providing current answers on their FAQs page at https://aptera.us/faq. The official, newer answer there is “We hope to make a Tow package available at some point in the future. We envision Aptera could tow a small lightweight trailer for camping, maybe even adding some extra solar capability.”

The combination of that statement being aspirational for some TBD point in the unknown future and the fact that there is no tow package option on our order pages indicates that initial Apteras will likely not be configured for towing. Unknown whether initial Aptera will be designed for retrofitting with a tow package later at reasonable effort/change. Given the additional structural support that would need to be integrated, I personally would not count on that.

• Francis Giroux

April 3, 2022 at 5:47 pm

Darren Kirk, I hope you are not serious about not being able to fit sheet rock or lumber in the Aptera. I have carried 12 foot long rolls of Carpet in my two seater sports cars Honda Del Sol and Honda Insight (first generation). Certainly even 16 foot long lumber could be carried in the Aptera with some of it sticking out the back. I wouldn’t be surprised if 10 foot long lumber could fit inside with the hatch closed. For 4 x 8 foot sheet rock you would have to put a block (12 inches tall) in the far back and maybe a shorter one in the middle of the sheet, under the sheet rock to fit it in, of course tied down and hatch open. I am a landlord who does most of my own fixing and have driven two seater sports cars for the last ten year, and have rarely had to borrow a truck to deliver my materials. Even most kitchen cabinets will fit in the Aptera. Hatch backs are wonderful vehicles.

The yellow outline is the edges of a 4×8 foot sheet of plywood or drywall. The red outline is a block to prevent the sheet from resting on the edge of the hatch opening. A 12 foot roll of carpeting would fit between the front seats and reach all the way to the dash or screen. This is a nice vehicle for a handy man.

• Darren Kirk

April 3, 2022 at 6:28 pm

Thanks for that visual! I used to flip about 3 houses a year, and I used to own some small apartments and duplexes. I currently flip 1 house a year, and I do as much of the work as I can also. Currently driving a tank, a Ford transit with 3 rows of seats pulled out. I’ve hauled 50 sheets of sheetrock in it at once, and even a pallet of grass will fit in the back. I didn’t want to get the Aptera all scratched inside like the back of my van, and I want the Aptera to be my only vehicle. If I could haul a lightweight trailer and 5-10 pieces of sheetrock every once in a while, that would be great. I normally leave my tools in my vehicle as I am getting older, and only take my batteries in at night to recharge, thus the Aptera wouldn’t have much room in the back for anything else. But I may have to haul some lumber and sheetrock in it if there is no way to put a small trailer on it. Or I could not be so cheap and have it delivered!

• Edward Mosimann

May 26, 2022 at 1:10 pm

I’m not hearing any hot shot engineer/designerds chime in, so I’ll have a go. There is no reason that Aptera shouldn’t handle 3,500+/- pounds and 200-300 pound tongue weight, within controlled parameters, with specific/special-purpose hitch and trailer designs. I’d mount a two inch ball ahead of the rear wheel, and have a one sided asymmetric ‘neck’ that facilitated 80 degrees of pivot in either direction. Two wheeled trailers only. Hitch mount points might be shared with rear drive subassembly, or separate and indicated with hardware specified. Adjust towing speed-limit and torque-limit to test-proven safe levels, and make software do the heavy lifting after imputing tow weight and basic drag numbers. Assign max weights for trailers with trailer brakes and without, and with motor assist/regen for advanced kit. Auxiliary cooling may be necessary as weight, and aero drag increase, or speeds decrease without a decrease in watts consumed. Aptera belly and motors could be spray-water-cooled under extreme high heat conditions, or aux cooling, trailer mounted, and piped to Apteri with heavy tow kit bits. Temperature readouts would help driver adjust behavior. I am also very interested seeing how we progress here and in selling off my F150 ASAP.

• John Malcom

May 26, 2022 at 5:04 pm

I think the “Engineers” (They are pretty hot shot without question in my opinion. I am a 77 yr old engineer with about 50 years of experience) and senior management have made their statement about towing and it certainly didn’t include anything about a 3,500 lb trailer. Let’s go with their professional analysis and their ethos about efficient performance over your back of the envelope musing.

• GLENN ZAJIC

May 27, 2022 at 11:34 am

I think it will be smart to wait ( and hope!) for their truck. Lets not ask them to design something that far outside the main purpose of this commuter/sports vehicle. A light weight hitch – OK.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 27, 2022 at 1:41 pm

Aptera has no reason for a super large trailer. I would be surprised to see more than 500 lb (more likely 250lb). Ideally we will get a hitch receiver (useful for bike racks) but even a motorcycle style swivel hitch would work for some lightweight loads.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now