Inflation and Pricing of Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Inflation and Pricing of Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Inflation and Pricing of Aptera

• Inflation and Pricing of Aptera

Qiang Fu updated 1 week ago 15 Members · 25 Posts
  • Justin Liu

June 20, 2022 at 7:26 pm

With inflation ramping up and supply lines strangled, will the initial prices still be the same or will they be expected to increase? A massive incentive of the Aptera is the affordable price. If the price does go up, is there a predicted amount/percentage it will? Thanks!

• Curtis Cibinel

June 20, 2022 at 8:22 pm

Anything on this forum would be pure speculation. Inflation from 2010 to 2020 was an average of 1.9%; they could not anticipate current inflation. Assuming their margins were originally fairly tight and we end up woth 10+% total inflation over what they predicted this would likely need to be recovered in a price increase. Hopefully if they can eventually shift to lfp for many scales this could save a fair amount per battery pack and offset this bit it will take time/redevelopment.

• Qiang Fu

June 20, 2022 at 9:19 pm

Since Aptera has not committed to the specs of the model, one less controversial way of offsetting inflation could offer a stripped down version of the model based on the current pricing, then charge for more options, for example, heated seats, phone charging pad, cargo divider, charging port for separate solar panels, 6.6kw (instead of 3.3kw) level 2 charging, etc/etc…

• Curtis Cibinel

June 20, 2022 at 9:23 pm

Unfortunately too many options adds a lot to the cost due to increased logistics and manufacturing complexity.

• Qiang Fu

June 21, 2022 at 7:47 pm

To simplify the production process, they can produce uniform models then turn the options on via OTA.

• Riley ________________________________

June 20, 2022 at 9:26 pm

I hope they deliver a stripped down car for the promised price. All I care about is being able to solar charge 40miles a day and drive 400 miles per charge. If they end up adding future features I really want than I will add them myself.

• Joshua Rosen

June 20, 2022 at 10:32 pm

I would be stunned if they stuck with their original pricing. Tesla just raised their prices again last week by another $3000 on the 3 and Y and by $6000 on the X.

• Dennis Swaney

June 21, 2022 at 11:04 am

Tesla has always been aimed at the high end market; they don’t really want the middle and lower class market.

• kerbe2705

June 20, 2022 at 10:38 pm

One thing to consider it that Aptera established these prices when they thought they might get 1000 reservations – and hoped for 3000. So maybe there’s already a significant buffer in the listed pricing… Remember, too, that the more parts they order, the lower the cost per part.

• Steven G. Bueche

June 21, 2022 at 4:16 am

I can’t remember where or when (I’ve got Mad Cow-Boston Legal) but I seem to recall that originally there was only 30% of the cars price in the way of materials. That of course was before everyone wanted a rolling office or entertainment center on wheels. How some of these add-ons have effected the current cost is as stated above, speculation.

I’m old school. I’m 64 (had a recent birthday to celebrate another year closer to my conclusion) and I am a driver. That’s to say that when I drive, I drive. Blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I only have the basic car and solar on reserve. It’s cool looking and makes sense in any market.

If the tech heads and infotainment nerds of the world want a fully loaded, 3 wheeled gismo running down the road, that’s their prerogative.

In order for this car to smash the market it needs to stay within a certain price point in order to appeal to the greatest audience in order to succeed.

Make packages or add-ons as they see fit but leave the price point the way it was since it’s what attracted 25,000 orders before the thing’s been made. You can add all the bells and whistles anywhere in the process.

I’d be willing to do away with my cup holder (bungie) if it’ll help.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

June 21, 2022 at 5:21 am

Happy Belated Birthday Steven,

In May I also turned 64.

• Steven G. Bueche

June 21, 2022 at 9:00 am

Thanks Oz. I guess I have a few more years before I can call myself an adult. lol

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 21, 2022 at 6:06 am

Just kids!! According to my grandfather, (78) you aren’t considered an adult until you are 70. He dismisses me as an infant. Enjoy your childhood for another six years.

• Konijnerd the Great

June 21, 2022 at 8:45 am

Pretty certain that all pre-order prices are going to rise by at least 1000 dollar, more like 3000.
    What we can hope for is that these pre-order prices are going to count for NEW pre-orders. But probably not.

• Steven G. Bueche

June 21, 2022 at 9:13 am

I think an additional $3000 would drop me from the list. Now we’re talking $29,000 before adding anything. It’s not that I can’t afford it, it’s a matter of principle. If they’ll going to raise the price, show it now and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe state, “New orders will increase to the tune of, or effective,…” Those who have preordered and or invested should keep the price we agreed on. There are those who are willing to make a purchase Paid In Full in order to not only get their Aptera but bring in more cash for the company to continue their pursuit. In other areas of this forum some are even willing to buy site unseen.

Yes, Tesla is raise their pricing. But I think it has more to due with demand than anything. This is the American way. We’re all seen as demand goes up, so does the price. We have a product here that appeals to at lease 15,000 people. They’ve planned this for a few years now. They know the cost involved. If it were getting to the point where they would lose money we’d heard something by now.

• Konijnerd the Great

June 21, 2022 at 10:43 am

“they know the costs involved” and “they’ve planned this for a few years”.

So this does not take into account the gigantic inflation numbers.

• Dennis Swaney

June 21, 2022 at 11:06 am

Well if they DO have to increase the price 10 – 15%, then I’ll be priced out and have another thing to thank Biden for.

• John Voules

June 21, 2022 at 6:06 pm

If u get priced out and decide next t to purchase….I’m pretty sure u would regret decision when See 1 on the road. Then who do u blame?

• Dennis Swaney

June 21, 2022 at 7:10 pm

The guy who is responsible for the current massive inflation (and blames everyone but himself) of course! When you are on a fixed income as I am, inflation is much worse. Of course I’d regret not getting it just as I’ve always regretted not buying a ’57 Chevy for $100 because I couldn’t afford the insurance when I was 20!

• Alain Chuzel

June 21, 2022 at 7:36 pm

You really should be thanking Trump.

Also, remember, no politics.

• Gabriel Kemeny

June 21, 2022 at 10:20 am

I think everyone in the EV industry, including Aptera, learned their lesson after the Rivian pricing debacle earlier this year – don’t touch pricing on existing reservation holders.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 21, 2022 at 10:37 am

Aptera is a business not a social service organization. If, in their business modeling, they determine they need to raise vehicle prices to cover operating costs plus a profit margin acceptable to investors, they will do so and with as little impact on their reservation base and potential customers as possible. Even if the price of every vehicle (All reservation holders) was increased by $3,000, the vehicle would still be a bargain in the long run. I would say at the very least, the price increase would have to be at the annual inflation rate of 8-9% to break even or tice that for two years. So…an increase of 10-20% may not be out of the question. It would be roughly inline with what Tesla is doing with their price increases.

• Konijnerd the Great

June 21, 2022 at 10:43 am

I agree, it’s unavoidable. I just wish they did it now for new orders, instead of breaking promises to current reservation holders.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 21, 2022 at 10:51 am

Yep, me too. Bad news doesn’t get better with age. I think they are at the point of having to make some really tough decisions. Cutting features on first production units is a start but far from sufficient. It is hard to financially justify giving 25K reservation holders a pass and put the whole burden on new customers. Better to amortize it over a larger base.

• John Trotter

June 21, 2022 at 10:51 am

I want Aptera to stay in business, especially after I get my car. If they need to reflect reasonable changes in cost, so be it.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now