Instant flat or blown tyre

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Instant flat or blown tyre

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Instant flat or blown tyre

• Instant flat or blown tyre

Joshua Rosen updated 1 week, 5 days ago 11 Members · 16 Posts
  • Elzo Stubbe

September 15, 2022 at 6:49 am

What will happen to your wheel pants if your tyre blows/looses pressure rapidly and ground clearance instantly reduces to zero? Can and will Aptera simulate such an event?

• Joshua Rosen

September 15, 2022 at 7:00 am

Good question. The ground clearance of the wheel pants is only 3.5″, a flat tire would mostly destroy it. An underinflated tire might also cause the wheel pant to be damaged. The clearance was 5.5″ on the Alphas, it’s 3.5″ on the Delta’s, I wonder if they’ll raise it back for the production versions.

• Vernon Sinnott

September 15, 2022 at 7:05 am

I think they should just go with the off road wheel pants which are also built better.

• Joshua Rosen

September 15, 2022 at 7:16 am

Or a variable height wheel cover. The engineer for the wheel pants said the reason for the low height was aerodynamics, the lower the better. Aero matters at highway speeds, not so much on streets and back roads. By spring our streets are more pot hole than road, would be nice to be able to raise the pants when the road conditions are less than perfect.

• Curtis Cibinel

September 15, 2022 at 8:18 am

If they can make it variable even if it takes a few minutes with a screwdriver to adjust that would be an amazing feature. Eventually a premium option or maker community mod to make it electronically triggered controlled would be absolutely perfect. The only concerns I see would be potential for more vibration, cost, weight or a slight increase in width.

I can’t see this making initial production given how close they are but personally I’d rather see the company iterate and further refine the current vehicle over time than invest in competing for the crowded sedan market

• Ron Glossin

September 15, 2022 at 8:55 am

👍

• kerbe2705

September 15, 2022 at 7:08 am

This video features an interview with the engineer who developed the Gamma’s wheel pants. https://youtu.be/vI7kegmY6e8

• Larry Mason

September 15, 2022 at 9:49 am

I wonder if they’ve considered the Michelin Uptis. Would seem ideal, for many reasons.

• Curtis Cibinel

September 15, 2022 at 10:02 am

Apart from construction equipment the tradeoffs are not worth it. Rolling resistance takes a huge hit. The airless tire idea has been around for 30+ years and never got traction.

• Larry Mason

September 15, 2022 at 10:43 am

Here’s what Michelin has to say:

“Today’s level of rolling resistance is about the same as a zero-pressure (“run flat”) tire, i.e., 8 kg/t. So one can expect the same fuel efficiency when switching to Uptis from a run flat tire. This performance will improve with future developments in design and materials for Uptis. Fuel efficiency of traditional tires is affected by pressure loss, which will not happen with Uptis.”

Recognizing, of course, Michelin has a bias, they’re not just radial.

• Richard Harris

September 15, 2022 at 10:16 am

“The airless tire idea has been around for 30+ years and never got traction. The airless tire idea has been around for 30+ years and never got traction.”

I see what you did there…..😉

• BigSky Country

September 15, 2022 at 8:14 pm

I’m convinced, based on your question and your point, that the tires will be run flats.

• Jeffrey May

September 16, 2022 at 12:41 am

Earlier discussions about Aptera’s tire size have said that the tires are 195/45 R16.

Assuming that’s still accurate, a quick Google search reveals that the distance from outer diameter of the rim to the outer diameter of the inflated tire is 3.45 inches. So in the event of a blowout, it would drop by less than 3.45 inches. So it’s not hard to imagine how they came up with the 3.5” clearance for the wheel pants (although it wouldn’t leave much of a safety margin).

• robert engelhart

September 16, 2022 at 7:41 am

I want to see the final product drive over a normal speed bump. It looks to me that it simply will not clear a normal speed bump at say a Home Depot. And wear away plastic sounds like an ugly ugly solution.

• Joshua Rosen

September 17, 2022 at 9:27 am

A pothole will destroy the wheel pants. The clearance on the gamma’s is only 3.5″, they say they intend to test them and they’ll might change it for the deltas but I’m concerned that these Californians don’t even know what a pothole is. Potholes are common in the spring and they can get pretty deep. Because of the three wheel configuration it won’t even be possible to steer around them, if you move the car to avoid them on the front wheels the rear wheel will be guaranteed to hit it.

• Vernon Sinnott

September 17, 2022 at 9:12 am
Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now