Insurance?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Insurance?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Insurance?

• Insurance?

• Scott Eals

March 23, 2022 at 6:38 am

Has anyone checked into insurance? I know EVs require a higher insurance, at least in my experience. But since Aptera is such a newer type of “car” could you even get insurance on it?

• BRUCE MENGLER

March 23, 2022 at 6:47 am
  • Jacob Bunce

March 23, 2022 at 11:28 am

EVs don’t intrinsically have higher premiums. That’s a Tesla thing, not an EV thing per se.

The thing that raises rates is lack of serviceability, especially for salvage vehicles. Tesla’s salvage policies basically mean that a totaled vehicle has much lower resale value than it normally would because the company doesn’t want to fix it. That means insurance companies take a bigger hit when a Tesla is totaled compared to any other vehicle. That cost burden gets passed on to the consumer in the form of higher premiums for Teslas specifically. Then Elon goes on Twitter and blames insurance companies for the cost difference. Classic projection.

Theoretically, Aptera won’t have this problem because of their “right to repair” thing.

• Tim Dean

March 23, 2022 at 2:27 pm

I hope that the right to repair comes with the right to update/upgrade. It looks like the AWD delivery may be a full year after the 2wd version so I’ve ordered the 400 mile, 2 wheel version to get faster delivery with hopes to add the rear drive wheel in the future if I decide that I want it.

• Patrick Liebknecht

March 24, 2022 at 11:09 pm

I checked with my insurer State Farm

They said it will be considered an enclosed auto cycle

I sent them links to the website etc

The under writer said they would insure it for about the same as my Volvo XC70 ( it’s more than my Harley ) but it can be driven all year in Maryland

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now