GM prototype (Pontiac Pursuit) from 35yrs ago with yoke etc.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions GM prototype (Pontiac Pursuit) from 35yrs ago with yoke etc.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions GM prototype (Pontiac Pursuit) from 35yrs ago with yoke etc.

• GM prototype (Pontiac Pursuit) from 35yrs ago with yoke etc.

Curtis Cibinel updated 3 months ago 6 Members · 9 Posts
  • Ron Ledohowski

March 29, 2022 at 6:40 am

This General Motors prototype had a yoke, four-wheel steering and satellite navigation 35 years ago; the shape & representation of today?

https://youtu.be/ejx6xnyDCFg

• Hale Marine

March 29, 2022 at 6:51 am

Wow amazing how GM has lost it’s way over time.

• Ray Holan

March 29, 2022 at 7:26 am

Thanks, Ronster. Nothing new under the sun, eh? Very interesting video. I note that the yoke is limited to only 90 degrees of rotation lock-to-lock. If the steering ratio on the Aptera would be that quick, I can much more easily see myself using a yoke as opposed to a steering wheel.

• John Smith

March 29, 2022 at 9:59 am

Yes Aptera isn’t the first to try a yoke. There are reasons why you don’t see them on everyday consumer cars.

• Ron Ledohowski

March 29, 2022 at 10:06 am

I like the yoke on the Tesla and the one I see set for the Aptera even more. Reason you don’t see it much before has as much to do with historical than anything else. Times change including I.C.E. to E.V. & S.E.V.

• John Smith

March 29, 2022 at 10:31 am

Unless the Aptera has quicker steering ( a Formula 1 is 120 degrees lock to lock and the

GM was 90 degrees lock to lock) it is a step backwards for change sake. It improves nothing, but has other shortcomings in use.

• Bob Kirchner

March 29, 2022 at 7:45 am

The articulated front wheel fairings would be a good idea for Aptera to keep in mind for any future four-wheeled models.

• Ron Ledohowski

March 29, 2022 at 10:08 am

Agreed. Was one of the reasons I posted was for that “potential” future consideration & forum discussion.

• Curtis Cibinel

March 29, 2022 at 11:36 am

The ford probe V concept was also similar. Aptera Owners Club did a video on it.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now