Is anyone else in love with the glossy finish on the Beta render?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Is anyone else in love with the glossy finish on the Beta render?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Is anyone else in love with the glossy finish on the Beta render?

• Is anyone else in love with the glossy finish on the Beta render?

• Joseph DelVecchio

March 19, 2022 at 4:16 pm

It is amazing and accentuates the beautiful streamlined shape. Aptera, PLEASE make this the standard for at least one of the base colors. I don’t care which one (but make it the white one).

• Len Nowak

March 19, 2022 at 4:23 pm

Even “if” the Aptera starts with the vinyl wrap and color composite nosecone,etc…you can always have a $ option to upgrade the body to any available color/finish vinyl wrap.

I suppose if they go the route of a painted body … there will be stds and options there too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Joseph DelVecchio

March 19, 2022 at 4:29 pm

For sure. I’m just trying to avoid paying an extra grand 🙂

Has anyone official said paint is possible? It seems like that would add a much more significant step in facility buildout and production.

• Loren Gilbert

March 19, 2022 at 5:42 pm

I am. Please, please, Aptera, give us the option for a glossy finish. Glossy is perfect for the Luna.

• Paul Schultz

March 19, 2022 at 7:30 pm

Agreed! Glossy really makes the Luna look completely different and better. I am hoping for a paint option.

• George Hughes

March 19, 2022 at 9:48 pm

If you really want glossy or shiny, consider this ‘wrap.’ You can’t do this with ‘paint,’ btw.

• Gary Greenway

March 19, 2022 at 9:16 pm

I prefer the gloss finish

• Scott Price

March 19, 2022 at 10:08 pm

George, yes agreed on the great glossy finish. Some colors are terrific glossy and some look good in matte, so lots of fun possibilities.

• kerbe2705

March 19, 2022 at 10:27 pm

I’m good with whatever: I’ll be inside, looking out, so all I’ll see will be the solar hood/bonnet and the inside surface of the front wheel pants.

• R. Kevin McNutt McNutt

March 19, 2022 at 11:19 pm

Count me in as a gloss fan. To me, the matte look just screams “fad” and won’t age well. The gloss render looks fantastic and gives the Aptera a more “finished” appearance I think (a finished finish? Yeah, gotta work on that).

Wondering though; has the method of finish actually been decided yet? Last I heard the question was still undecided, with only paint being ruled out due to cost and complexity.

• Steven G. Bueche

March 20, 2022 at 2:55 am

Well since they have glossy wraps I don’t se2euiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii (Sorry, stupid cat) let’s continue.

I don’t see this as a hindrance. If the cost from a matt finish wrap to a glossy wrap has a cost increase I’ll pay it. But, I suspect the matt is more Fad as mentioned above and therefore cost more (demand)

Gloss says finished and on par with the standard norm for cars.

Gloss is what I would/will paint it when the wrap starts to deteriorate somewhere down the line.

Isn’t gloss more efficient for slip stream? I guess you could always but a ceramic coating on it for improvement as well.

• George Hughes

March 20, 2022 at 10:35 am

I think some folks need to remember that everything is a work in progress and change is rapid and constant.

Aptera, which was re-thought back in 2018-19 is limited by the options available at that and subsequent moments. Add to that, that we are all aware enough to make the

For instance, the ‘answer’ to this whole wrap thing are a few innovations that are on the horizon.

One answer is a whole new type of wrap – one that incorporates solar cells into the ‘wrap.’ I never heard of such a thing.

For instance, I’ve been hearing of solar panels (perovskite-based) that are literally printed on a substrate on a web press. Being a former newspaper man I know how fast a web press runs meaning once a good process is found, the cost of the mass-printed solar product should plummet.

This perovskite solar product continues to advance in terms of longevity and efficiency and while efficiency is more than competitive, silicon-based solar cells, with warranties covering 25+ year periods beat perovskite cells in terms of long term stability.

Indeed, it is in the context of 25+ year lifespan of silicon that establishes the ‘expectation’ of what is an acceptable life for solar cells and perovskites are no-where near attaining 25+ years.

I get the idea that, with some work, high-efficiency perovskite solar products could develop to have product lifetimes that are a lot like that of vinyl wrap … a useful period up to five years.

In this dynamic, entrepreneurial society, I think some one might see the synergism between perovskite-printed solar generating products printed on vinyl wraps as placed on solar-powered vehicles.

Given the greater coverage afforded by a full-body wrap and, at least the initial higher-efficiency perovskite cells (efficiencies as high as 27% ), one might imagine being able to best Aptera’s current 700watt/hr. production for at least a couple of years. If its initial energy production were double that of the current max solar array, one might see a daily boost of close to 100 miles of power added each day from the sun. The speculation is not only because of the increased efficiency of the new perovskite cells but also because this low cost solar wrap covers a lot more of the vehicle.

Sure solar energy production from this wrap would decline with age … the idea is this happens over a period of three-to-five years which would coincide with the expected life-span of the exterior wrap. It would be time to replace the wrap when the daily average electric production would declines to an unacceptable level.

Of course this product doesn’t exist today just as the super-strong 2-DPA1 hyper-plastic coating doesn’t exist today. But as Scarlett O’Hara observed, “tomorrow is another day.”

• David Marlow

March 20, 2022 at 9:03 am

Yes, the glossy Beta renter looks great, I want one.

• Danny O

March 20, 2022 at 11:00 am

Love the glossy! I’d prefer paint as I don’t know much about wraps. Regardless, please offer a glossy option that will work best for a car parked in the sun.

• Danny Mattijetz

March 20, 2022 at 10:04 pm

As I mentioned in another thread about whether the photo was a rendering or not, what I like about the picture the most was the fact that it had a glossy finish.

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now