Is there something going on with Foxconn?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Is there something going on with Foxconn?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Is there something going on with Foxconn?

• Is there something going on with Foxconn?

• Joshua Rosen

April 10, 2022 at 2:27 pm

• Bob Kirchner

April 10, 2022 at 2:37 pm

Mobility in Harmony has a very small web presence, but they do have a linkedIn page.

https://cr.linkedin.com/company/mih-ev

• john higgison Higgison

April 10, 2022 at 3:29 pm

I just saw something about this on youtoob… kinda came out of nowhere. I hope Aptera addresses it, soon.

• John Young

April 10, 2022 at 4:14 pm

Watch the whole video with Chris from MIH, at the end he talks about working on autonomous and ADAS with the MIH consortium. Maybe Foxconn is part of the puzzle for Aptera but it seems like they’re definitely trying to work with partners on their autonomous system.

https://youtu.be/tha7iYLRJCE

• Paul Schultz

April 10, 2022 at 5:38 pm

The only thing that registered for me was that Chris Anthony stated that he was glad to be part of the MIH consortium. Given that MIH is an open EV platform (“the Android of EVs”) this simply may be a consortium of EV industry “players” to direct MIH development and common EV components. Yes, Aptera may benefit from some of these developments, especially with regard to ADAS. After viewing both videos, I have to say that the MIH video focused more on MIH and very little on Foxconn. I don’t agree with the conjecture from the video in the original post that ties Aptera-to-Foxconn-to-Lordstown-Plant-to-Manufacturing-Agreement-with-Foxconn. Whew… that is quite the connect-the-dots and all from watching a 5-minute MIH partner video. Yes, it is possible it could happen. But really? All that from this one video?

The way I see it is that Aptera was asked to produce a prepackaged video to present themselves to the consortium. They were probably given a 5-minute window. Chris Anthony was definitely reading off a script. This is something I don’t see very often when he is doing an Aptera update video.

• George Hughes

April 10, 2022 at 10:35 pm

I think you’re right, this was a scripted presentation for this ‘industry group’ which purports to promote an open EV manufacturing/parts/software arm.

It should come as no surprise that there are companies out there with massive capacities that build this or that part; some of which come from the more open ICE-part automotive markets.

The current trend in EVs is being defined by Tesla with its market integration that has successfully brought most elements of Tesla branded vehicles in-house.

Given there hasn’t been an EV component market, other major players (read auto companies) have been selective with whom they choose for parts suppliers.

This leaves a lot of smaller manufacturers and fabricators scrambling stateside.

It is a little different in China where there are some large EV makers emerging but it features a lot more smaller startups which number in the hundreds. This level of entrepreneurial activity demands access to component markets.

Aptera is a creature of this emerging independent parts supply. If you think about it, we are lucky this market segment – component EV part supply – is becoming a thing.

I perceive Foxconn as a large player in this emerging market along with Elaphe and even traditional suppliers like Rousch and others. This is good because these folks are building a supply chain for repair – retail sales for these folks – as well as retrofit. (With over 1.4 billion cars on the roads, it will take time to replace that fleet with EVs and hybridizing existing cars is one strategy that makes sense in some use-cases.)

As they look ahead, auto parts manufacturers will have to grapple with ripples widespread EV acceptance make in related markets. I’m expecting powered trailers will be a big change that adds demand to the types of components used by next generation (composite) mobility construction which might include VTOL crafts.

I mean it should be obvious the entire auto industry is in upheaval and is being remade in ways we might not immediately recognize.

If you think about a market with a vibrant independent market that because of the embrace of composite monocoques for the capsule, are low cost, light, strong and efficient and each potentially offering a broad array of components each designed or adapted for a wide variety of specific use cases.

The first thing you have to know is that the emergence of this EV components market is why Aptera saw the opportunity was now a couple of years ago. That means we’ve already got the big win from that realization – Aptera.

And like I’ve asserted elsewhere, among the unique use-cases for Aptera is as a test-bed for future innovations from light-release hydrogen storage to innovative uses of the new plastic 2-DPA1.

What justifies this emerging market segment is the innovation of products like Aptera.

This is good news.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now