Aptera Jacking Points

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Jacking Points

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Jacking Points

• Aptera Jacking Points

Posted by BUG on December 5, 2021 at 6:29 am

As a Career Maintenance Person, I think of things related –

Jacking Points Must be included for getting an APTERA up on a Service Lift. Garages must Not Poke Holes in the Underbellies of Our APTERAS! Gotta be able to Get Tires Off and Brakes Checked! Most Tire Shops’ Lifts Have Lifts For Four Wheeled Monsters.

993cc replied 1 year, 2 months ago 11 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Aptera Jacking Points

993cc updated 1 year, 2 months ago 11 Members · 10 Replies
  • ray-holan

December 5, 2021 at 6:58 am

Hello, Guy. Yes, this question has been raised before. The three-wheel configuration means the typical lift won’t work. I wonder what Polaris dealers have to work on the three-wheel Slingshot motorcycle?

• kevin-yu

December 5, 2021 at 10:45 am

Here is a photo of the Polaris Slingshot being on a lift.

https://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/how-to-lift-slingshot.6748/

The Polaris Slingshot has a flat underbelly so the mountpoints are comparable to the traditional 4 wheeled cars. Seeing how Aptera doesn’t have a flat underbelly, I am very curious as to what Aptera engineers comes up with.

• len

December 5, 2021 at 7:16 am

Although they have always said there will be two lift points on the front arms and at the are by thr back wheel they have nor shown the points. But we are only at Alpha, no front arm arm aero covers in place yet…. rear suspension upgraded from a single arm to dual… so no need to show until final design “ I suppose “

That same area behind the rear wheel could also where a hitch option will attach too, was once rumored

Apterae will only be 1800 to 2200#! They say the wheel covers will be easy unclip type designs, in the end????

• kerbe2705

December 5, 2021 at 8:05 am

I believe they said the rear suspension type was changing from “swing arm” to “multi-link”, not “single arm” to “dual arm”…

• john-trotter

December 5, 2021 at 12:55 pm

For tire change, my American Tire store uses four single-point lifts and Teslas require specific pads that are inserted from underneath. Conceptually, I could see the same for Aptera, although the pad height might need to be bigger and a three-point lift might make folks nervous before they try it. Full-lift work under the car would be something else, but I’m not sure there is much serviceable down there except an instrument bay and, perhaps, battery access. (I have no idea how the third motor and suspension is accessed.)

• bifford-williams

December 6, 2021 at 4:37 pm

With the exposed front and rear suspension and 600-700 lbs per corner, lifting shouldn’t be too hard.

But not much need for lifting in general. I haven’t seen photos of any of the prototypes under construction on lifts. With the ~9-24″ ground clearance under different parts of the body, Aptera staff seem to be building the underbody parts (battery, cooling, wiring) of the prototypes just lying on the ground. I presume you could install or drop the battery with a couple regular floor jacks.

• Shawgrin

January 29, 2023 at 3:39 pm

As the suspension has come to light. It looks like you remove all three wheel skirts and then the jack points are available to use on multiple lifts or from the ground using jacks. It would be nice to know the actual lift points from Aptera.

• RajGiandeep

January 30, 2023 at 7:26 am

In this video I asked him about jacking points for Aptera. He couldn’t share at the time, but working on a solution for Delta. So most likely it’s there, just not shared yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llSnzMm6K8E

• craig-graber

January 30, 2023 at 10:15 am

Excellent question. I wasn’t concerned about the front even though I probably should be, but I am interested in how the rear is jacked up. I had assumed there would be a lift point, even if hidden under the removable skirt / panel. Which is not ideal but likely workable. The fact lifting the vehicle for service has not been considered and the solution implemented already I find down right scary. I don’t agree the ability to be lifted by current commercial automotive lifts is required. A common floor jack and points for jack stands even with an adapter would be sufficient, even if it did up the labor charge slightly. I say this not fully knowing what access is required under the Aptera in order to service one. There certainly would be no oil changes, exhaust work, transmission, or differential service required so suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, electrical, and skirting seems to be what remains.

• 993cc

January 30, 2023 at 2:39 pm

Ideally, in addition to jacking points which lift the vehicle by the suspension, for changing tires and so forth, there would also be jacking points which lift the body, to unload the suspension when work needs to be done on it, such as replacing the coilovers, or working on steering components.

or to reply.