Joints in the suspension

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Joints in the suspension

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Joints in the suspension

• Joints in the suspension

• Sean Durham

May 9, 2022 at 6:17 pm

So while watching your videos I noticed that the alpha and beta vehicles use exposed heim/rose joints in the front suspension, my question is do you plan to use them in the final design? Or are they just easier for prototyping while planning to use booted joints for the final production model. I work in automotive repair and I have to say some of the worst suspension designs I’ve ever seen use these joints and my worry is that the lifespan and noise of the suspension would be seriously impacted by using these components. I use heim/rose joints on my track vehicle that I drive on the road as well for the added stiffness, but I find they generally only last a year or less before becoming incredibly noisy, less when I drive the vehicle in the winter on salted roads.

• Len Nowak

May 9, 2022 at 6:54 pm

This might be better emailed to info@aptera.us

• Steven G. Bueche

May 10, 2022 at 2:24 am

You make an excellent point. These open Rose joints could potentially gather dirt and fail rather quickly. I’d take the hit on efficiency/aerodynamics for longevity of the suspension even if it means I have to add them myself after delivery. I’m not a fan of the aftermarket two piece boot so I guess that means taking the front end apart. It’ll be a real world test of Right to Repair huh?

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now