June webinar: extra solar panels on vehicle?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions June webinar: extra solar panels on vehicle?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions June webinar: extra solar panels on vehicle?

• June webinar: extra solar panels on vehicle?

• Georg Matt

July 9, 2022 at 10:37 pm

In the June webinar at about 38:00 minutes, they mention that they squeezed 4 extra panels on the hood and alluded to additional panels elsewhere on the vehicle. Has there been any more discussion of this? Anybody know exactly where and how this was done?

• Francis Giroux

July 10, 2022 at 4:30 am

Watch Aptera Owners Club video channel. Steve examined carefully the Gama mock-up and found that the Aptera was stretched in its mid section which made room for one more row (6) of solar cells on the roof. The rear hatch appears to be unchanged even though the total length of the Aptera was increased by 4 inches. Six cells added on roof, four added on the hood but two taken away on the dash where the bottom/front door “hinge” goes into the body.

• Georg Matt

July 10, 2022 at 7:47 am

Terrific. Thank you Francis!

• Joel Smith

July 10, 2022 at 9:12 am

Best guessing that those are Maxon Sunpower C60 cells at 3.55w each; that adds an extra 28.4 watts to the vehicle’s potential power generation from PV. That’s an extra mile or so of range from solar per day under more-or-less ideal conditions.

With the several performance affecting changes they have made from the vehicle as originally conceived, I can hardly wait to see what the production vehicle’s real world performance specs will be. I am guessing generally better than what they have touted so far.

• Alain Chuzel

July 11, 2022 at 4:12 pm

More likely Maxeon/SunPower E66 at 3.84 watts each at Standard Test Conditions (STC). Note that after assembly and encapsulation and non-normal orientation and mis-match and at least nominally elevated temperatures non of the cells on Aptera will be at STC.

• kerbe2705

July 10, 2022 at 9:14 am

@Georg Matt – also keep in mind that the individual units are “cells” and the combination of many cells together makes up a “panel.” Aptera’s dashboard is one panel and the roof is another panel, as are the hood (bonnet) and the hatch. The six cells on the rear of the body comprise the final solar panel on the vehicle.

• Georg Matt

July 11, 2022 at 8:03 pm

Thank you! Still learning the terminology.

• Kevin Bradbury

July 10, 2022 at 9:30 am

I’ve been curious as to the decision to place the cells in an Argyle pattern verses square pattern, similar to the Lightyear. I would think you could fit more cells in each panel by one full row. The tail section looks like there is room for a full row clear across plus 2 partial rows in front of that. I wonder if it is because of aesthetics or some kind of efficiency that I am not aware of. Just one of those things that make me go “Hmm”.🤔

Something else I’ve puzzled about, not just with Aptera, but solar cells in general. Do they HAVE to be square or rectangle?

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 10, 2022 at 11:03 am

It’s been discussed before. likely aesthetic. On the rear tail, as that is where you load and unload, they probably didn’t go across the full width with possibility of damage occurring there

• Alain Chuzel

July 11, 2022 at 4:24 pm

With respect to you question “do they have to be square or rectangle?”, the simple answer is no. Square-ish or rectangular, however, tend to be the best shapes for the purposes of packing more “active” material within a given rectangular area.

• Dennis Swaney

July 11, 2022 at 5:01 pm

Besides, if you look at the Aptera from above, you see they are using DIAMOND shaped solar panels! 😆

• kerbe2705

July 11, 2022 at 10:11 pm

@Kevin Bradbury The issue is about conforming to compound curves: The cells can bend in only one direction at a time and the diagonal pattern allows the edge cells to more closely conform to the shape of the body. Lightyear’s panels all bend only very slightly in the same direction so having the cells in a lateral pattern works best for them.

• Alain Chuzel

July 12, 2022 at 4:47 am

Sorry kerbe2705 but just about all of what you said is “mythology”. If Aptera wanted more power/energy from solar they would do better to follow Lightyear’s lead.

• Selvan Poothamby

July 20, 2022 at 6:47 am

Is there any particular reason why there aren’t any panels on the sides? It’s not like the sun never shines there. Some may leave doors open for extended periods as well. As I understand it, these panels are inexpensive and lightweight. Every little bit counts, right?

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now