Lack of visibility from solar on rear hatch?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Lack of visibility from solar on rear hatch?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Lack of visibility from solar on rear hatch?

• Lack of visibility from solar on rear hatch?

kerbe2705 updated 1 month ago 13 Members · 25 Posts
  • Travis Fisher

May 5, 2022 at 9:34 am

I’m curious how much of a safety issue covering the rear hatch with solar might be. I’m excited about getting as much solar charging as I can but not at the expense of safety.

• Joshua Rosen

May 5, 2022 at 9:43 am

The rear view “mirror” is camera based it’s not an actual mirror. The visibility should be better than in cars with conventional mirrors.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 5, 2022 at 11:02 am

Doesn’t help my dog see out. I’ll definitely go with the more traditional back window

• kerbe2705

May 5, 2022 at 10:00 am

@Travis Fisher What @Joshua Rosen said and to add that the combination of the roof-level cam for the rearview screen and the two side cams will give unparalleled rear vision. Also, there’s a cam below the license plate to provide the low view required when reversing.

There are many vans and trucks on the roads that don’t have rear windows AND don’t have camera systems: THOSE I would consider to be safety hazards!

• Dennis Swaney

May 5, 2022 at 2:14 pm

So there are 4 cameras, but what about the screen? Will you be able to have multiple feeds from the cameras when reversing? Or will you have to cycle through each camera one at a time? The latter would be worse than the standard 3 mirrors use in cars now, as I can quickly scan them without switching camera feeds.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

May 5, 2022 at 3:15 pm

Dennis, no switching between screens will be needed, the original version had three separate screens, the most recent render has two screens with the one in front of the driver displaying both sides at the same time and the rear view mirror screen is active all the time too

• kerbe2705

May 5, 2022 at 3:39 pm

@Dennis Swaney There’s a screen that looks just like a traditional rear-view mirror that’s always on. There’s a screen in front of the driver that shows the images from the two side-view cameras that’s always on. When you shift into reverse, the low-view backup camera video appears on the center infotainment screen, just like it does in all other modern vehicles.

• kerbe2705

May 7, 2022 at 9:18 pm

This should be worth 1K words…

• Philip Raymond

May 7, 2022 at 11:33 pm

Thanks kerbe2705, this should help anyone who doesn’t understand how this works.

• Dennis Swaney

May 8, 2022 at 8:00 am

Thanks! That makes it very clear. I like idea of a screen in the standard rear view mirror location and the side views being directly in front of the driver eliminates the head turning required with mirrors.

Edit. After thinking about it, I thought that the camera location for the rear view “mirror” display would be critical for a true replication of the analog mirror. Since the latter can be adjusted for driver height, etc., the camera should actually located in the display unit. So is it or will it be located outside the unit and/or the body?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Dennis Swaney.
  • kerbe2705

May 7, 2022 at 9:19 pm
  • Paul Schultz

May 8, 2022 at 5:22 am

I have an ‘always on’ rearview camera on the back of our travel trailer. The monitor is built into our tow vehicle’s rearview mirror. It provides a view of the large blind spot behind our trailer as we travel. In that sense, it does increase visibility. What it does not do a good job with is depth. Nothing beats the human eyes for depth perception. From this experience, I would argue that Aptera needs to optimize its optics to ensure an excellent implementation for depth perception. Otherwise, a claim of better visibility goes for naught when a driver cannot judge distances from vehicles/objects behind them.

I never use the rearview camera on our trailer as the main component for backing up into a tight spot. FWIW I still use a spotter.

Bottom line: just because a camera can ‘increase visibility’ doesn’t mean it is providing an equivalent experience.

• kerbe2705

May 8, 2022 at 8:10 am

One thing to keep in mind is that Aptera’s rear-view screen won’t need to have a mirror overlaying it: The driver’s view of the screen is direct, not requiring a change of focus or shift of focal length to see it through a mirror.

• Paul Schultz

May 8, 2022 at 9:15 am

Even with a dedicated display, which I also have, the depth perception is not as good as a mirror… or looking over my shoulder. I simply wanted to point out that there are pluses/minuses to any path taken. With cameras some depth perception is lost. I hope Aptera does a better implementation than what I have used so far (tadibrothers.com)

• John Palacio

May 10, 2022 at 6:27 pm

I agree with Paul regarding the depth concern while backing up the vehicle without being able to look over your shoulder, and that’s why till even today I have been very hesitant on getting the full solar package on my vehicle, should I ever get one. It’s something I guess I have to wait and see for myself.

• kerbe2705

May 10, 2022 at 10:45 pm

Over the past three years I’ve grown so used to backing up using the screen image (much wider field of view than I have looking through the rear window) that I can hardly recall NOT doing backing up this way. The image in my car has a grid overlay with lines representing 2 meters,1 meter and the absolute back of the vehicle – so “depth perception” (or the lack thereof) isn’t an issue for me.

• John Trotter

May 8, 2022 at 6:05 pm

Paul, I recently drove my daughter’s (huge) GMC SUV and it has a screen for the center rearview. The coverage was great, but squeezing all that “information” into a screen the size of a regular rearview mirror did present a depth perception problem for me. Perhaps the solution is a wider screen to make the wider view roughly scale with a regular mirror.

• kerbe2705

May 8, 2022 at 9:13 pm

A rear-view camera provides an unobstructed wide-angle view behind the vehicle: A rear-view mirror shows the interior of the vehicle, the pillars on either side of the rear window, the top of the rear seats and any passengers or cargo that’s taller than the bottom of the window.

I think the issue might be the type of lens used and not the actual width of the screen: The GM system might be using a wide-angle lens where a 1:1 image might be more appropriate.

• Ling Cha

May 8, 2022 at 6:02 pm

I just added the rear PV. If it blacks out the view it will be ideal for stealth car camping in town when you don’t want to be seen in the back at night.

• Edward Goodley

June 3, 2022 at 1:44 pm

I wonder if it will be relatively dark inside the cabin if the rear window is sacrificed for rear panels

• kerbe2705

June 3, 2022 at 1:52 pm

@Edward Goodley – with massive side windows and a large windscreen, I think the cabin will be sufficiently bright. The Beta interior features an off-white headliner which serves to increase the sense of light and space.

• Dennis Swaney

June 3, 2022 at 7:47 pm

I actually like the idea of the solar panels blocking the IR & UV radiation from entering there. Here in AZ you need to have LESS sunlight entering a vehicle!

• Matthew Goike

June 3, 2022 at 2:48 pm

Another benefit of the rear solar hatch instead of glass is the lack of greenhouse effect from the large area of glass. I live in the CA desert and with a similar hatch the interior of my Volt gets extremely hot if not parked in the shade. I can adapt to the lack of visibility with the solar hatch if camera coverage is sufficient.

• Dennis Swaney

June 3, 2022 at 7:47 pm

BTDTGT!

• kerbe2705

June 3, 2022 at 9:41 pm

@Matthew Goike – rear visibility via cameras should be significantly BETTER than trying to see through the steeply-raked rear hatch glass…

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now