Interior dimensions and capacities

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Interior dimensions and capacities

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Interior dimensions and capacities

• Interior dimensions and capacities

Posted by jacob-klaameyer on September 18, 2021 at 1:50 pm

What is the distance from rear-most of the cargo area to the seats in the forward-most position? This dimension is critical when considering the ability of an occupant to fully lay down in the back to camp.

Bonus Question: Is the cargo area level or at an angle forward or backwards? It is also very important when sleeping to be relatively level.

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
    • This discussion was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  bbelcamino.
    • This discussion was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  bbelcamino.
    ROMAD replied 6 months ago 36 Members · 50 Replies
  • 50 Replies
  • Interior dimensions and capacities

ROMAD updated 6 months ago 36 Members · 50 Replies
  • Biker

September 18, 2021 at 2:22 pm

It’s cubic ft of cargo and it is what it is. Even if you got the length, you ability to fit a certain item will still likely depend on actually trying it.

• kerbe2705

September 18, 2021 at 2:32 pm

As Gabe said, they’ve told us the amount of cargo space in cubic feet but remember – the beta prototypes will have more than the alphas because the cargo floor will be lower.

Someone in the old Forum posted a guess at the dimensions that seemed pretty likely…

• RajGiandeep

September 18, 2021 at 4:59 pm

I’m curious to get new figures on the trunk width & height. curious if I can fit my gong in there for taking to class. It’s a 38″circle

• john-malcom

October 8, 2021 at 9:35 am

We don’t know the dimensions you are asking about. Aptera made changes in the design of the Beta prototype to accommodate taller people. Beta design and engineering is complete and Beta build is in progress. When complete, we can ask your question and get an answer closer to what the production vehicle will have.

In the meantime, you can watch the video that Steve Fambro made reviewing the Sol Alpha Prototype. At apx 2:28 into the video Steve discusses how an extension from the cargo area to the back of the seats will help accommodate taller campers by adding a little more flat space. The cargo area is flat, but of course, like OZ points out, the angle of the sleeping area will depend on the terrain you are parked on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDMqEmUGxX4

• len

October 8, 2021 at 9:43 am

This is in the FAQ spreadsheet if you Search

They say even a surfboard fits.

The cargo area appeared level to me on the Sol.

They are dropping the cargo area down , slightly, making it deeper we heard in a past video*

The seats flip forward on an angle similar to mist card

In that same video* Steve mention a flip out device extends from the cargo area to the back if the flipped forward seat for a smooth extension if the cargo area ( on the production model )

I saw a 5’8” lady lying flat in the cargo area, seat was foward.

• john-malcom

October 11, 2021 at 4:48 pm

Based on the J Leno YouTube video released today, the distance from the back edge to the seats is seven feet. A lot of other things revealed about the Aptera too. Well worth watching for all .

• jacob-klaameyer

October 11, 2021 at 8:19 am

Oz Niiiiwop: Parking on a slope can work, but realistically most parking spaces are level.

John Malcom: We’ll see on the Beta prototype. That flap he discusses in the video, to bridge the gap between the cargo floor and seat backs is an excellent idea as people often need to create a custom insert here.

Leonard Nowak: I was unable to find the length of the cargo space, only the total volume when searching in the FAQ; Could you refer me to the dimension? The video with the 5’8″ woman laying down is what prompted this inquiry as many customers hoping to camp are taller. Her head doesn’t touch the back of the seat but it seems very close.

Thanks all for your replies!

• michael-rennick

October 21, 2021 at 12:12 pm

I wonder what kind of cargo retention options will arise after the Aptera is released. I know it was mentioned that the trunk floor will be removable for additional storage, but I could see cargo nets or even maybe a subdivided panel being valuable. Maybe not immoderately, but down the road, there are all kinds of thing that can be done with this space.

• len

October 21, 2021 at 3:33 pm

If you were thinking of the pet kit, they include a mesh divider, but I assume these are rigid and secure well to contain a pet.

I suppose it could be flexible though, if there are tie downs for a pets vehicle’s safety hardness (?)

I have only seen renderings of the proposed Aptera divider

Whatever doesn’t rattle and is safe for a dog… works well for me in a quiet vehicle????

I would think simple strong and lightweight would be Aptera’s goal

Surely a flexible mesh should tuck away under the cargo area or the frunk

• S Patterson

January 12, 2022 at 9:57 pm

There’s almost an unprecedented amount of cargo space in a two-seater. And now I’m wondering how I’ll keep stuff from sliding around, coming forward, etc. when driving? I know that many cars I’ve had haven’t had much in the way of tie-downs and anchors… I would really like some in the floor of the cargo area, so I can really strap down, put up dividers, whatever I need. I want to be able to strap in a pet carrier, for instance.

What sort of anchors are being thought of?

-Crissa

• Riley

January 13, 2022 at 2:02 am

The only information I’ve heard were the potential for deeper compartments under the main cargo deck. If there is no strap down anchors it wouldn’t be difficult to add them.

• Audra

Administrator
    January 14, 2022 at 9:36 am

Hi Crissa,

You make a great point. We will account for this! We plan to offer a cargo net and dividers to shield between the luggage space and the cabin to prevent any objects from easily moving around. And to have tie down hooks included in the cargo area. Please stay tuned for updates! 🙂

• curtis-cibinel

January 14, 2022 at 4:42 pm

Thanks Audra. Great to see more official replies lately. The cargo area of the aptera is a huge advantage and keeping things from sliding is important. Hoping for a minimum of 4 tie points but a rail like Riley posted (and is on my current car) would be a huge bonus.

• LordChad

January 15, 2022 at 5:51 am

I wouldn’t want to have anything built in (at least on the cargo floor) from the factory. Not that I plan on doing much camping in the Aptera, but I may do some since it has the tent option. It would make for a horrible nights sleep with a D-Ring or metal strip in the back.

• m-cameron-odell

March 29, 2022 at 1:02 pm

I would really like to see an official cargo area lengthxwidthxheight answer soon

• david-b-beal

March 29, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Having seen someone lay down in it who’s 5’7″ I’d guestimate that is’t about 5’9″ or maybe 5’10”.

I’m trying to work out the overall shape of that cargo space, but haven’t done so yet.

• lloyd-lewis

July 18, 2022 at 8:08 am

Will a standard cargo net (or similar) be included to prevent contents from the back sliding into the passenger area?

• steven-g-bueche

July 20, 2022 at 5:05 am

I haven’t heard of or seen anything to this but it would be easy enough to attach an after market on to suit your needs. Drill a couple of holes. attach your fasteners and install the net. Boom, you’re done.

• curtis-cibinel

July 20, 2022 at 10:05 am

Given the pet kit they will likely have anchor points; ideally they will also have some on the floor so you can put a dog safely in a harness.

• Sam

July 20, 2022 at 2:31 pm

FAQ:

We plan to offer a cargo net and dividers to shield between the luggage space and the cabin to prevent any objects from easily moving around. And to have tie-down hooks included in the cargo area.

• lawrence-moore

September 5, 2022 at 12:02 pm

Several times people have asked about surfboards and Aptera has a stock reply that there is 7 feet of space behind the seats. My question is specific, but necessary please for people near small surf requiring a long board: can you fold the passenger seat down (forward or backward) to allow an 8 ft surfboard, with only 1 passenger in the car? The board will likely be angled, so it won’t lie totally flat in the rear, unless the passenger seat folds way down. This question probably determines whether I will get an Aptera.

Thanks!

• NorthernSouler

September 6, 2022 at 11:15 am

I don’t know the exact width of the trunk, but using the low end estimate of 50 inches from earlier in this post and applying the Pythagorean theorem, I come up with 8 feet 1.75 inches on the diagonal.

As long as the trunk ends up being at least 50 inches wide and 72 long, you should *just* be able to get your board flat in, with a little wiggling.

• kerbe2705

September 5, 2022 at 11:23 pm

@Eddy Moore Perhaps the board will be able to travel on its side, slipping between the two seats?

• peter-longland

September 11, 2022 at 10:18 pm

One issue I have is that there appears to be no way of securing cargo in the back. I can’t see any tiedown points or any other way to stop cargo moving about. Loose cargo is potentially dangerous and has proven to be fatal if it hits the people sitting in the front of the vehicle. I have asked about a partition, which if they want to sell the Aptera as a fleet vehicle is a must under the laws of my country.

• kerbe2705

September 11, 2022 at 10:53 pm

@Peter Longland We’ve been told that the production vehicle will have tie-downs and that cargo nets will be available accessories at some point down the line.

• georg-matt

September 12, 2022 at 10:09 pm

Just in case this was not yet mentioned. I measured the cargo area of Gamma on Saturday with the iPhone AR Measure tool. The depth at center is a 5’2” (+/- 1”). The longest diagonals are 6’1” (+/- 1”).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Georg Matt.
    • 993cc

September 13, 2022 at 12:32 pm

Aptera Owners Club got 65 inches long by 42 wide using a tape measure.

• jakob-zermeno

September 14, 2022 at 7:03 am

Will the Aptera have subtrunk storage? as someone who has reserved a 1,000 range Aptera, I want to use it for camping. fitting everything in the large trunk is great, but not when you want to sleep in the trunk set up. Is there a subtrunk to place belongings?

• 993cc

September 14, 2022 at 2:31 pm

The floor of the shell slopes down as it moves forward, starting from I’d guess about two thirds of the distance from the hatch to the seats. There have been proposals to make these volumes (two of them, split by the center tunnel) accessible through hatches in the trunk floor. We’ll see what happens. The volumes are oddly shaped and not very large.

Page 1 of 2

or to reply.