License plate aerodynamics

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions License plate aerodynamics

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions License plate aerodynamics

• License plate aerodynamics

• Ravi Gupta

March 16, 2022 at 4:56 pm

Could Aptera please show us how licences lates will be attached. I hope this is not an after thought. I’d like to see an aerodynamic way to attach one. Yes, I know many will not put one on and pay the tickets but that isn’t addressing the root issue.

• Leonard Nowak

March 16, 2022 at 5:16 pm

Aptera, an autocycle is registered as a motorcycle in most locations

Only one plate needed and covers the charge port on back

• Ravi Gupta

March 16, 2022 at 6:48 pm

THanks

• Pistonboy Delux

March 16, 2022 at 5:53 pm

https://youtu.be/YSkxfvH8UsQ?t=960<div&gt;

At time 16:00 is shown the rear of the new beta design. I do not know if the plate shown is the same size as a license plat. At time 19:00 is another view. If someone has a better view of the license plate area on the new beta design, would you please share it.

In a video call, Nathan Armstrong said it looked like the charge port would be moved from behind the license plate toward the front of the vehicle.

</div>

• Ravi Gupta

March 16, 2022 at 6:47 pm

TY

• kerbe2705

March 16, 2022 at 9:18 pm

During the most recent Ambassador webinar I asked Nathan three questions: 1) What is the rectangular shape in the center of the nose light bar?; 2) What are the small body panels ahead of the doors just below the beltline?; 3) Has the charge port been moved?

Nathan’s response was, “A third headlight and new door hinge design.” He did not respond to the charge port question.

As Aptera’s power electronics are all under the hood (bonnet) running heavy electrical cables through the body to a charge port at the rear of the vehicle seems like a waste of weight and expense.

• Chris

Administrator
    March 16, 2022 at 6:46 pm

Since it’s registered as a motorcycle it only needs a rear plate 🙂

• Douglas Crockford

May 9, 2022 at 4:18 pm

It is currently registered as a motorcycle because the regulators have not caught up to Aptera’s innovations. What happens when they eventually realize that the roadster is an electric automobile?

• Curtis Cibinel

May 9, 2022 at 4:26 pm

Hopefully they also realize a front plate can be a sticker. Not really like most people are reading plates on the front often anyway.

• Graham Smith

May 9, 2022 at 5:38 pm

Autocycles like the Polaris Slingshot have been on the market for a few years and they only need a license plate on the rear.

• kerbe2705

May 9, 2022 at 9:44 pm

Referring to Aptera as a “roadster” is not wholly accurate as Aptera is an enclosed vehicle with a non-removable top.

From Wikipedia: The term “roadster” originates in the United States, where it was used in the 19th century to describe a horse suitable for travelling. By the end of the century, the definition had expanded to include bicycles and tricycles. In 1916, the United States Society of Automobile Engineers defined a roadster as: “an open car seating two or three. It may have additional seats on running boards or in rear deck.” Since it has a single row of seats, the main seat for the driver and passenger was usually further back in the chassis than it would have been in a touring car.

In the United Kingdom, historically, the preferred terms were “open two-seater” and “two-seat tourer”. Since the 1950s, the term “roadster” has also been increasingly used in the United Kingdom.

The term “spider” or “spyder,” sometimes used in names for convertible models, is said to come from before the automobile era. Some 19th-century lightweight horse-drawn phaetons had a small body and large wooden wheels with thin spokes; they were nicknamed “spiders” because of their appearance; the nickname was transferred to sports cars, although they did not look similar.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

May 10, 2022 at 5:31 am

A logical reason for Aptera having used the term in some it’s earlier documents can be found in the just published 2021 SEC filings. The Aptera is meant to compete in the market for roadsters, as they will likely find it attractive. Chris Anthony has stated that it is an “Aptera” not a “roadster”.

• Joshua Rosen

May 10, 2022 at 7:03 am

Is the tomato a fruit or a vegetable? Botanically it’s a fruit because it has seeds but the US Supreme Court ruled that it’s a vegetable because that’s how people use it. If we use Supreme Court reasoning then the Aptera is a roadster because people think of two passenger vehicles as roadsters.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

May 10, 2022 at 8:04 am

Once again, you’re avoiding the fact that Aptera, says it’s an Aptera. You can call your Android phone an I-phone all you want, won’t change what it is, and the manufacturer will still look at you and shake his head.

• John Malcom

May 10, 2022 at 8:37 am

Really lame! We have better things to do with our time and posts than this kind of thing. Aptera calls it an Aptera. Then that is what it is. This discussion would never reach the supreme court. It is settled now

• V Pilot

May 10, 2022 at 9:40 am

Looks like the gavel has fallen

what is a coupe then? A passenger car with a sloping or truncated rear roof line and two doors?

• John Malcom

May 10, 2022 at 10:13 am

Bang! It is done! unless someone wants to foment an insurrection at Aptera and steal the lectern and gavel.

It is ridiculous that we spend anytime on this kind of thing. If Aptera wants to call it an Aptera we should accept that and move on to things more important than the nomenclature of the vehicle. If people have that much time on their hands I can assigned them things to do for my work so they can be productive😉

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  John Malcom. Reason: Ha misspelled the word bang. The most important word in the post
  • Patrick Liebknecht

May 13, 2022 at 7:56 pm

I honestly hope it stays as an auto cycle, and doesn’t end up being classified as a car , as states like mine are reclassifying 3 wheeled motorcycles to make them easier for everyone to purchase and register.

Why does it matter ?

Well in lovely Maryland. They require a front tag on all vehicles aside from motorcycles.

If it ends up getting “reclassified” as a car not an auto cycle. That front plate will kill the aerodynamics and look.

I refused to put a front plate on my bertone X 1/9 because it just looked stupid and broke the front of the car up. I received several tickets for not having a front tag …

• Che McKittrick

May 14, 2022 at 6:32 am

I’m in DC and front and rear plates are required. I only have the rear. I’ve been stopped twice for it in 11 years. Got a ticket once out of the two stops. I got out of one of the situations by telling the officer I bought the car from a state that didn’t require front tags and I hadn’t had a chance to mount a front plate holder. Technically that’s true but I already had the car for five years.😊

Anyway, I’m willing to risk a $50 ticket every now and then to preserve the look of my vehicle.

• kerbe2705

May 14, 2022 at 9:28 am

@Che McKittrick You’re a rebel! 😄

• Stefan Obel

May 14, 2022 at 6:21 am

Here in Florida you only need a rear license plate anyways.
    Registration for my Tesla is about $65 per year and that includes the HOV tag.
    The South Florida express lanes (different from the HOV lanes) are FREE of charge for EVs. However, with all the technicalities about what is a car, a bike, or an “auto-cycle” I wouldn’t be surprised if some bureaucrat would come up with a “creative way” to deny the Aptera some of those benefits because they declare it a vegetable even though it is a fruit (if it were a tomato).
    My Tesla is $500 for the insurance per year ($300k/$100k).
    If someone has a VIN to share for an Aptera I would be curious what my insurance company would quote an Aptera for.
    A good reason to make it legally a car would be the $7,500 tax credit vs the $2,500 tax credit.

• kerbe2705

May 14, 2022 at 9:32 am

@GoSolar Aptera is still in the Beta development phase – VIN numbers won’t be available until production begins, following the Delta phase.

I’m sure FL will jump on the “EV road tax” movement ASAP – it’s all the rage in red states and is even making its way into some of the blue ones!

We don’t know, yet, how Aptera will fit into the tax rebate program: Aptera has someone in DC working on it.

• Francis Giroux

May 14, 2022 at 2:12 pm

Aptera the car or Aptera the company? I mean Aptera the autocycle or Aptera the company has someone in DC working on it?

• Francis Giroux

May 14, 2022 at 2:22 pm

All that discussion and not much about aerodynamics. How can the aerodynamics of the rear license plate, and rear lights for that matter, be improved? My plan is to get some thin polycarbonate (Lexan), cut a strip of it about a foot wide that reaches all the way across the back of the Aptera, fold it in half, lengthwise, trim it, and tape it to the tail of the Aptera, so the finished product comes to a point instead of a blunt cut-off. This would only be for efficiency record breaking attempts and not all the time, easily removable.

• kerbe2705

May 14, 2022 at 5:58 pm

@Francis Giroux That “blunt cut-off” is PART of the aerodynamic design of the vehicle: There are two ports – one on either side of the license plate – that exhaust cabin air, taking advantage of the low-pressure area formed between the upper and lower air streams. If you extend the “line” of the body you’ll see that it your extension needs to be approximately six feet long if “point” is to release the two air flows cleanly.

• Patrick Liebknecht

May 17, 2022 at 12:57 am

Ahhhh the EV road tax…. First it was tax credits to get you buy them , now it’s taxes because you bought them.

Today I read an article on how the war on fossil fuels stands to bankrupt states that depend on the taxes as the majority of their budgets.

Of course the states won’t actually be hurt by loss of tax revenue. We the tax payer will get lumped over the head and our lunch money stolen like always .

• Patrick Liebknecht

May 17, 2022 at 9:26 am
    • Joshua Rosen

May 17, 2022 at 11:54 am

That’s peculiar to California. There are so many Tesla’s there that Tesla can’t build out the Supercharger network fast enough so they are rationing by bumping the price very high. In New England the current cost of Supercharging is 38 cents/KWh (up from 31 last year) which isn’t terrible considering that our residential rates are 25 cents/KWh. A Model 3 costs about 6 cents/mile with home charging and 9 cents with Supercharging. At current gas prices a Prius is about 10 cents/mile and a BMW 5 Series is 16 cents on the highway and 21 cents in the city.

• Patrick Liebknecht

May 17, 2022 at 8:58 pm

I read another article that says nearly 50% of the chargers in kalifornia are broken, lmao

By broken I wonder if it’s like the air pumps around here why I live , Al the brass air chucks have been cut off by miscreants to recycle the $2 a pound brass

I’m sure the wiring in those super chargers would fetch a pretty penny especially since joe public is being crushed by inflation

• kerbe2705

May 17, 2022 at 9:17 pm

@Patrick Liebknecht Here’s the actual survey: What is says is that, of the 30% of EV drivers who use public DC Fast Charging, 60% of them say they’ve encountered non-functioning units. So that’s something like 17.5% of EV drivers? It doesn’t say that 50% of all DCFC units in CA are broken. https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2022-02/EVSE%20Standards%20Technology%20Review%204Feb22.pdf

• Curtis Cibinel

May 18, 2022 at 2:40 pm

Percent of EV owners that have encountered at least 1 broken charger cant really be extrapolated to determine the actual number of failed units at present.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now